Windows 10: Files vanished from OneDrive

Discus and support Files vanished from OneDrive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; i have been switching from one computer to another. Both using the same onedrive. When logging into my older pc i found out that some of the files from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Hadse, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Hadse Win User

Files vanished from OneDrive

i have been switching from one computer to another. Both using the same onedrive. When logging into my older pc i found out that some of the files from the older pc had not been synchronized. - and when the onedrive did synchronize ive had lost the old files that i found.

I need my files back. Where did they go?

:)

Hadse, Jul 29, 2020
  2. Patrick Win User

OneDrive vanished completely from the machine

I use OneDrive, but recently it vanished from my machine.

And by vanished, I mean it's completely gone.

I checked this folder:

%localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive

It has 0 files, 0 bytes.

I checked Add/Remove programs, it's not in the list. Nor is it in the list of Windows components to install.

It's not in Task Manager's startup list. There are no OneDrive related services in the services manager.

What happened here?

I did nothing to uninstall it, but it's gone. Completely gone.

How can I get this back on the machine?

Patrick, Jul 29, 2020
  3. Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Jul 29, 2020
  4. Files vanished from OneDrive

Why were SMART Files Removed from OneDrive in Windows 10?

Technical Level : Basic

Summary

This article details why SMART files, also known as placeholder files, were removed from OneDrive in Windows 10.

Details

OneDrive has gone through many changes in Windows 10, most notably the removal of SMART files (placeholder files) from OneDrive. They still exist in Windows 8.1, however they were removed, hopefully temporarily, from OneDrive in Windows 10 because of the
    fragmented sync engines between OneDrive on Windows 7/Mac, OneDrive on Windows 8.1, and OneDrive for Business. The following article details what changes the OneDrive team made and why they made them:

Taking the Next Step in
    OneDrive

From a development point of view, it's a much better approach to consolidate their codebase, but from a user point of view, it's very frustrating.

Like many of us, if you want that feature back, please vote for it here on the OneDrive UserVoice page:

OneDrive UserVoice: "Sync online only" for Ondrive

Getting Started with OneDrive and Choosing Folders

To get started with OneDrive in Windows 10, please review these pages to familiarize yourself with the tools new processes:

Since you cannot choose which files are Available Online-only and Available Offline, you can choose the folders you want to sync. Review these two pages:

stanimal21, Jul 29, 2020
Thema:

Files vanished from OneDrive

1. Files vanished from OneDrive - Similar Threads - Files vanished OneDrive

2. Vanishing Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Vanishing Files: HiI have a brand-new, one month old, Dell laptop with Windows 11 Home Single Language OS. Whenever I want to install an app like VLC player, zoom, Adobe reader, HP printer, a new browser, etc. etc., I first download the application file in a folder named "downloads" in a...
  3. Vanishing Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Vanishing Files: HiI have a brand-new, one month old, Dell laptop with Windows 11 Home Single Language OS. Whenever I want to install an app like VLC player, zoom, Adobe reader, HP printer, a new browser, etc. etc., I first download the application file in a folder named "downloads" in a...
  4. Copying files from OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copying files from OneDrive: When I try and copy 100 MB of files from OneDrive to another drive, if the destination drive does not have 200 MB of space twice the size of the files to be copied, Windows will tell me there is not enough room to copy the files.After the files are copied, they only take up...
  5. Files vanished

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files vanished: I updated to windows 11 a month ago and all was fine, 2 weeks plus ago was when i last used my laptop, all files were still intact by then and i shut it down until today where i turned it on and found 90 percent of my files vanished, they are very important to me as they are...
  6. Files vanished

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files vanished: I updated to windows 11 a month ago and all was fine, 2 weeks plus ago was when i last used my laptop, all files were still intact by then and i shut it down until today where i turned it on and found 90 percent of my files vanished, they are very important to me as they are...
  7. Vanishing File Explorer Windows

in Windows 10 Support
    Vanishing File Explorer Windows: I had a new PC built (I usually do it myself but there are no graphics cards to be had) and in the midst of fighting through the usual problems and errors I came across a strange one in that whilst doing some stuff in File Explorer, all my File Explorer windows disappeared....
  8. OneDrive icon has vanished from File Explorer navigation pane

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive icon has vanished from File Explorer navigation pane: Hi My new PC has an SSD containing Windows, programs etc and a 1 TB solid state drive, which was empty when new. I followed the official instructions from MS to move my OneDrive folder from the SSD and onto the solid state drive where there is much more space. Everything...
  9. Files not deleting from OneDrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files not deleting from OneDrive: Files are not deleted from my OneDrive folder on my PC. Tried deleting them online & it did. While trying to open an image I was also getting an "Invalid value for registry" error. Vijay...
  10. Sound vanishes from computer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sound vanishes from computer: From time to time I do not get sound from my computer or even through an ear phone/connected external speakers. But sound can be heard from a connected TV through HDMI, if from playback devices I chose the TV as default. On re-starting the computer the problem gets solved-...