Windows 10: Files very often load only very slowly

Discus and support Files very often load only very slowly in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; The CPU of my PC is an i7-6700 with 16 GB RAM running Windows 10 Pro 1809 Build 17763.379. I have my data on several internal SSDs and several NAS with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by TechnoMax, Apr 6, 2019.

1. TechnoMax Win User

Files very often load only very slowly

The CPU of my PC is an i7-6700 with 16 GB RAM running Windows 10 Pro 1809 Build 17763.379. I have my data on several internal SSDs and several NAS with Gigabit Ethernet connections. My antivirus software is the built in Defender from MS.
    My Windows 10 File Explorer is getting slower and slower (not for copy purposes but with file openings). At first I thought this is because I have a slows NAS. I updated to a new NAS, it still is the same. Now I made a test with differrent file types TXT, RFT and DOC, all very small files. I even changed the associated programms to Wordpad for txt and rtf and Textmaker for doc. I copied the folder with these files to an SSD in my PC, even to the boot partition. But is is always the same: Some files open instantly, some take some 20 seconds. Not always the same files but mostly with RTFs and Wordpad. Sometimes even the opening of the folder takes this 20 seconds

What can be the reason for this strange behavior and what can I do to speed up things again?

:)

TechnoMax, Apr 6, 2019
  2. ilangom Win User

File explorer slow with loading thumnails and files

Step by step guide:
    1. Hold Win+r to open run
    2. Type msconfig and hit ok or enter
    3. Click Services
    4. Navigate to Windows search (you can sort the list in descending alphabetical order)
    5. Uncheck tickbox
    6. Click apply then ok
    7. Select to restart now

Hope this works for you.

ilangom, Apr 6, 2019
  3. dalchina Win User
    Thumbnails load slowly in Explorer

Hi, have you done any research on this? A general search for
    thumbnails load slowly
    suggests e.g.
    How to Speed Up a Windows Folder that Loads Very Slowly

But there are so many factors: how large a file is each image: where are the files located: what is the speed of access to that location: what else is the PC doing at the same time..... (check your task manager).

Another angle:
    When Windows 10 thumbnails seem to be missing or slow to load, try this | PCWorld

Please also feel free to search the forum.

Note: forum rules prohibit thread bumping... thanks.

dalchina, Apr 6, 2019
  4. Thuy Linh Win User

Wordpad loads files slowly

Hi,

My Wordpad suddenly loads files slowly after I upgraded windows. With a 1M text file, it takes around 5s to load in win 8.1 while the loading time in win 10 is about 1min or more.

Does anyone know what is the problem and how to solve it?

Thank you.

Thuy Linh, Apr 6, 2019
Thema:

1. Files very often load only very slowly - Similar Threads - Files very often

2. Web sites open very very VERY slowly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Web sites open very very VERY slowly: I am using Windows 10 Home and Chrome. Quite usually it takes about 15-30 sec to load a page. I have very fast fiberoptics ~100mbps and also Linux Mint installed on the same machine and on Linux it is very fast. So it looks like that the problem with Windows settings.Any...
  3. Web sites open very very VERY slowly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Web sites open very very VERY slowly: I am using Windows 10 Home and Chrome. Quite usually it takes about 15-30 sec to load a page. I have very fast fiberoptics ~100mbps and also Linux Mint installed on the same machine and on Linux it is very fast. So it looks like that the problem with Windows settings.Any...
  4. Web sites open very very VERY slowly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Desktop is loading very slowly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop is loading very slowly: The issue began about 12 hours ago. My computer simply failed to respond so I turned it off. When I attempted to turn it back on it send me to the log on screen still loading slowly then I was brought to a black screen. I restarted my computer several times tried to intervene...
  6. Desktop is loading very slowly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop is loading very slowly: The issue began about 12 hours ago. My computer simply failed to respond so I turned it off. When I attempted to turn it back on it send me to the log on screen still loading slowly then I was brought to a black screen. I restarted my computer several times tried to intervene...
  7. Desktop is loading very slowly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. facebook loads very slowly in chrome

in Browsers and Email
    facebook loads very slowly in chrome: facebook loads very slowly in chrome (Version 83.0.4103.97 (Official Build) (64-bit)) in my account on my laptop works fine in new edge this only happens in my account i tried loading fb in my daughter account in chrome on same laptop works fine this only happens with fb...
  9. facebook loads very slowly in chrome

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    facebook loads very slowly in chrome: facebook loads very slowly in chrome (Version 83.0.4103.97 (Official Build) (64-bit)) in my account on my laptop works fine in new edge this only happens in my account i tried loading fb in my daughter account in chrome on same laptop works fine this only happens with fb...
  10. no IPv6 connection -websites load very slowly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    no IPv6 connection -websites load very slowly: I noticed late last night..no IPv6 connection, only IPv4. and from that, some web pages load very slowly. I checked download /upload speed and registered very abnormal results. download: 5.25% and upload: 1.90% the normal stats would be download: 95.78% and upload: 6.88%...