Windows 10: Files with a very long path and file name don't open

Discus and support Files with a very long path and file name don't open in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Files with a very long name in a nested subfolder do not open unless a copy is made or the folder path property is removed.Interestingly, the File... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by JRoseTofS, Jul 13, 2022.

1. JRoseTofS Win User

Files with a very long path and file name don't open

Files with a very long name in a nested subfolder do not open unless a copy is made or the folder path property is removed.Interestingly, the File Location in the General properties tab starts with //?D:/ but the folder path in the Details tab starts just with just D:/ I have a lot of files like this and I'm looking for a way to resolve this for our users who have organized the folder hierarchy and folder/file names to be very descriptive.I would appreciate some advice.

:)

JRoseTofS, Jul 13, 2022
  2. Patrick8 Win User

Can't open or rename file (name is too long) WTF?

Hi Ramsey,

I suggest to try "Long Path Tool" program .

before I have problem cannot copy file because file name too long. and after I found long path tool and now my problem solved

Thanks

Patrick

Patrick8, Jul 13, 2022
  3. Can't open or rename file (name is too long) WTF?

Thread necro...

When in doubt, use CMD.

1. Run CMD
    2. Use CD <path> to navigate to the directory where the file exists.
    3. Use the DIR command to get the list of files. DIR will likely abbreviate the ridiculously long named file with NAME~1.
    4. Use the MOVE <source> <destination> to give the file a new name. For example: move "NAME~1" "MyShortName"
    5. ...
    6. PROFIT!

CMD is always the answer. *Wink Files with a very long path and file name don't open ;)

FordGT90Concept, Jul 13, 2022
  4. slozomby Win User

Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Jul 13, 2022
Thema:

1. Files with a very long path and file name don't open - Similar Threads - Files very long

2. Files with a very long path and file name don't open

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files with a very long path and file name don't open: Files with a very long name in a nested subfolder do not open unless a copy is made or the folder path property is removed.Interestingly, the File Location in the General properties tab starts with //?D:/ but the folder path in the Details tab starts just with just D:/ I have...
  3. Files with a very long path and file name don't open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files with a very long path and file name don't open: Files with a very long name in a nested subfolder do not open unless a copy is made or the folder path property is removed.Interestingly, the File Location in the General properties tab starts with //?D:/ but the folder path in the Details tab starts just with just D:/ I have...
  4. File History - Files with long path names.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History - Files with long path names.: In August 2016, @gacpac posted that "File history doesn't let you back up long path file names".Does this problem still exist in Windows 11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-files-with-long-path-names/2482af76-4e9d-4ddd-aa8a-098efbf690a3
  5. File History - Files with long path names.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History - Files with long path names.: In August 2016, @gacpac posted that "File history doesn't let you back up long path file names".Does this problem still exist in Windows 11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-files-with-long-path-names/2482af76-4e9d-4ddd-aa8a-098efbf690a3
  6. Enabling Long Path to Allow Files with Long Names in Windows 10 File Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Enabling Long Path to Allow Files with Long Names in Windows 10 File Explorer: I’ve done the fixes suggested by the Microsoft Community: Setting the registry key Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem\LongPathsEnabled Type: REG_DWORD to 1 Adding Enable Win32 long paths in the Local Computer Policy: Computer...
  7. Issues with long file paths

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Issues with long file paths: I have a file with a path that begins with \\?\ which is causing a lot of issues with programs. It's a video file and VLC won't play it, etc. I already have LongPathsEnabled in the registry. Is there any way to get long paths to look normal or is it just up to the other...
  8. Long path names (>260) works with some file browsers

in Windows 10 Support
    Long path names (>260) works with some file browsers: Hi folks Some file browsers now work with the long file names but "bog standard file explorer" plus applications based on the old explorer api will still fail. - You set long file names via reg key -- it's in the tutorials. Anyway for example FILEZILLA (an FTP client)...
  9. File History and Long Path Names

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History and Long Path Names: Shawn - or anybody that knows... Can you tell me if FH manifest is Long Path aware? (Sorry - All the FH .manifest files I can find are binary, not text) I am trying to help a dyslexic user with memory problems (memory as in "brain", not "bytes") Her system is Win 10 Home,...
  10. File History and Long Path Names

in Windows 10 Customization
    File History and Long Path Names: Shawn - or anybody that knows... Can you tell me if FH manifest is Long Path aware? (Sorry - All the FH .manifest files I can find are binary, not text) I am trying to help a dyslexic user with memory problems (memory as in "brain", not "bytes") Her system is Win 10 Home,...