Windows 10: Files with HEVC extentions do not work properly

Discus and support Files with HEVC extentions do not work properly in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello, I just downloaded HEVC videos files from my Samsung Galaxy S10+. Part of videos did not open and showed the notification that they need HEVC... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by ElinaTi, Feb 22, 2020.

1. ElinaTi Win User

Files with HEVC extentions do not work properly

Hello, I just downloaded HEVC videos files from my Samsung Galaxy S10+. Part of videos did not open and showed the notification that they need HEVC extensions. So I downloaded extensions app but from now the files starts with green screen and interutps and starts again stumbles every milisecond. When I open the video files with Windows Media Player they become foggy and lose quality. Any suggestions?

:)

ElinaTi, Feb 22, 2020

2. HEVC

I have tried playing some samples of 4k HEVC video files and my 2500K @ 4.5Ghz can not play it smoothly. Does anyone have any experience on getting HEVC to run more efficiently?

If not is there any way to use 2 PCs together and use each of their CPUs in tandem to play the files?

LightningJR, Feb 22, 2020
  3. Computer HEVC Compatibility

Hi, I am considering buying a Go Pro Hero 6 and I noticed that for some video shooting modes it uses HEVC. I am not sure if my computer is compatible with HEVC, and I would like to know. Here are my computer's specifications,

• Windows 10
    • Intel I7 core processor
    • Graphics card: Nvidia Ge-Force 940m
    • It is an HP Envy 1 Terabyte Bang& Olufsen Laptop

If any more specifications need to be listed to determine if my computer in HEVC compatible I will be happy to list them. Thank you!

LukeyBaDukey, Feb 22, 2020
  4. akgt94 Win User

Directories with HEVC/x265 or Hi10p/10bit video sluggish

This was working for me in the Anniversary Update and Creators Update, but has been slowly going downhill after the Fall Creators Update (build 1709). After updating to the Fall Creators Update, I could sometimes get thumbnails to show up in Explorer, sometimes
    not. I could sometimes get HEVC video to play in Movies & TV and Movie Moments, sometimes not. Now File Explorer won't create any HEVC thumbnails and HEVC video won't play in any of the Microsoft desktop or metro apps.

Here's what I've been able to piece together from a couple of different sources:

• Microsoft removed native HEVC support from the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update.
    • If you applied a feature update from a previous version (Creators, etc.), you were supposed to retain HEVC support. Wasn't quite true for me, which is how I found this thread. The work-around I mentioned in a previous reply has now stopped working.
    • Update KB4041994 enables SOME systems to ADD HEVC support back. There's a hidden app in the Microsoft Store called "HEVC Video Extension". Windows may add it manually. The app only enables HARDWARE HEVC decoding.
      You need a video card or processor released within the last ~year to get it though (Kaby Lake, Kaby Lake Refresh and Coffee Lake, and GPUs like AMD's RX 400, RX 500 and RX Vega 56/64, and Nividia's GeForce GTX 1000 and GTX 950 and 960 series.)
    • One of the sources suggests software HEVC decoding might become available as a paid app in the Windows Store in the future. No further info available.
    I did a clean install of the Fall Creators Update in Virtualbox. Applied all the updates and installed the "HEVC Video Extension" from the store. MP4 opens in Movies & TV metro app; HEVC video is blank, but HE-AAC audio plays. The slow folder refresh issue
    with HEVC files exists.

I have a mid-range desktop processor and video card from early 2013. VLC plays 1080p HEVC using just a couple of percent CPU. I can encode 480p 30FPS in real time using the x.265 Medium preset. My system doesn't need hardware-accelerated encoding / decoding.

As for the original issue. I took someone's suggestion and installed Icaros. Explorer refresh is speedy and I get thumbnails not only for HEVC MP4/MKV, but also FLV (like Icaros claims - anything FFMPEG can decode).

Additional info:

akgt94, Feb 22, 2020
Thema:

1. Files with HEVC extentions do not work properly - Similar Threads - Files HEVC extentions

2. Bought Hevc and Heif extentions still cant open hevc files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bought Hevc and Heif extentions still cant open hevc files: This is how they look in the pictures app And whenever i try to open them it shows this but i alredy paid and downloaded therm https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bought-hevc-and-heif-extentions-still-cant-open/b126e822-0d1c-401c-a1e7-987f9fd8b4b4
  3. Bought Hevc and Heif extentions still cant open hevc files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bought Hevc and Heif extentions still cant open hevc files: This is how they look in the pictures app And whenever i try to open them it shows this but i alredy paid and downloaded therm https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bought-hevc-and-heif-extentions-still-cant-open/b126e822-0d1c-401c-a1e7-987f9fd8b4b4
  4. Bought Hevc and Heif extentions still cant open hevc files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. HEVC not playing properly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    HEVC not playing properly: Hi I have videos from my Samsung phone in HEVC format which are not playing properly in Windows 10. I have bought HEVC codec from Microsoft Store but still these videos are only playing half screen and rest is grey/green color. I can play these videos in VLC player but not in...
  6. HEVC not playing properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HEVC not playing properly: Hi I have videos from my Samsung phone in HEVC format which are not playing properly in Windows 10. I have bought HEVC codec from Microsoft Store but still these videos are only playing half screen and rest is grey/green color. I can play these videos in VLC player but not in...
  7. HEVC not playing properly

8. file extention

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    file extention: my embroidery files now show as a NSG.DocumentHow do I correct and keep them from changing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-extention/69c776f0-427a-49ab-af7a-6033ff161fcd
  9. HEVC extensions for Windows 10 do not work properly

HEVC extensions for Windows 10 do not work properly: I bought the video extensions HEVC from Microsoft Corporation directly, two days ago. I use Windows 10. Now it opens the Apple .MOV files but the video and the audio do not match. The audio is fine but the video plays in slow motion. So, when the audio is done the video...
  10. HEIF and HEVC Media Extention app

HEIF and HEVC Media Extention app: I bought this app from Microsoft so I could open photos from a cell phone. I can not find the app to install. How do I put this on my computer. Nothing came up to install or open it....