Windows 10: FileZilla Frustration

Discus and support FileZilla Frustration in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am in the last grit of setting up FileZilla, I am using all the defaults and going through the wizards to set the account details. Problem. Error... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by mikeincousa, Feb 3, 2018.

1. FileZilla Frustration

I am in the last grit of setting up FileZilla, I am using all the defaults and going through the wizards to set the account details.

Problem. Error Failed to create listen socket on port 0,
    This seems to root in Window 10 Defender. I have found how to open the port (...allows apps) I check the three boxes for ftp, but I am not sure that ftp port is the right one for my host. How can / do I need to cross check them?

Question 1. FileZilla sets a range of ports? How do these match with Defender settings? Or is that taken care of by W10 / FileZilla?

Question 2.
    Can I leave the ports open all the time?
    Is the FTP port / ports vulnerable to being attacked?
    If so how can protect it /them?

Last. Any other pointers?

Thanks

:)

mikeincousa, Feb 3, 2018

2. How to set up an FTP server on Windows 10 Enterprise?

You can use FileZilla:

https://filezilla-project.org/

Sumit Dhiman2, Feb 3, 2018
  3. Ugo Lopez Win User
    Ugo Lopez, Feb 3, 2018
  4. Eagle51 Win User

FileZilla Frustration

Hey mikeincousa,
    Which Filezilla are you trying to setup ... the FTP Client or Server ?

Eagle51, Feb 3, 2018
  5. What 3 boxes are you referring to? For a FTP server the default incoming port is 21 but you can change it to another value if you want.

Did you follow the instructions at https://wiki.filezilla-project.org/N...ows_8_Firewall ? By default Windows allows all ports for a particular program.

The point of an FTP server is that port 21 is open all the time. Any port that allows incoming connections can be vulnerable to attack - so if you are exposing this server to the Internet then you better make sure you have all your server settings configured properly and that you are fully up to date with security fixes.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

PolarNettles, Feb 3, 2018
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    @mikeincousa

if you want a quick Free FTP (client) program for windows try this one WS_FTP (the free version was withdrawn some time ago but you can still get it (the Free one) from here)

Download WS_FTP LE 6.0 - SnapFiles

DOWNLOAD CAREFULLY as some of these sites often confuse so you can download the wrong file.

Here's the interface -- simple quick and clean

FileZilla  Frustration [​IMG]

Not sure what you want to do but this can send / get files across networks easily enough. For a HOME LAN simple networking should do. For access to your Domain (if you have one) or other remote sites this little program works perfectly -- I can see why it went "PRO" (i.e PAY)/ !!!!! but the free one still works on W10. !!!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 3, 2018
  7. Thanks for your responses.

I am setting up the client for starters.

Ultimately I would like for someone to be able to ftp large files to my hosted domain at their schedule, then pick them up later with my Windows 10 machine.

I am sensing that the account setup at my host needs significant restrictions too for security reasons?

I have more or less the same open port security problem with a HAM radio program called EchoLInk. Long ago I had it working on an earlier Windows (XP?), Then a few years ago I downloaded a version and reestablished my credentials. But in the setup I stopped for needing to do something with the ports.

With the ftp review I hope to resolve the risk with open ports in EchoLink.

I hope the clarifies what I seek to accomplish.

Thanks for any additional thoughts.

mikeincousa, Feb 4, 2018
  8. FileZilla Frustration

My host provides cPanel.

mikeincousa, Feb 4, 2018
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

@mikeincousa

if your host provides cPanel it should have FTP possibilities so user should simply be able to logon to your domain and access the relevant file (you can grant upload, download or both)

I haven't set up full FTP etc stuff yet for external users as I'm busy on other things such as e-commerce with shopping carts but you should have a similar menu to this one. You'll probably see FTP section and files. You can also allow guest access (I wouldn't give guest any access other than READ) . The domain FTP program will take care of Windows ports etc.

Set up your sub directories in the httpdocs folder.

screenshots shown

cheers

jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 4, 2018
  10. cereberus Win User
    Frankly, using FTP is really old hat, and rather insecure by modern standards. There are better and more secure ways to set up file servers these days eg using Cloud services, VPNs etc.

cereberus, Feb 4, 2018
  11. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    @cereberus

I think the OP just wanted to allow a user or whatever to access his domain server to get / send a file. I showed the built in facility nearly all domain hosting services have as standard thse days.

Domain servers if the OP has something like cPanel (which he has) are quite secure in allowing read / write to a specific directory on his domain - rather like typical file download from any web site.

Personally I also would do it via a proper web interface on the domain -- usually you can use built in application things like wordpress etc to build your web site but there's always a quick file up / download facility too -- you can password protect that stuff easily enough and by reading the log files on your domain server should easily tell you if anybody is trying to access the site who shouldn't be.

Using a Hosting service is a lot more secure for small office and home users rather than trying to run a file server from your own Internet ISP -- also some ISP's also aren't very keen on you doing that type of activity on their networks.

I agree old standard FTP isn't the best but until the OP's last post I didn't realize he simply wanted someone to be able to access his domain.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 4, 2018
  12. cereberus Win User
    Yeah - I just really wanted to point out FTP is not the most secure service these days, and hackers monitor and often exploit port 21. For similar reasons, that is why I do not use RDP (port 3389) over internet for remote access (apart from PITA of having to deal with ISP dynamic addresses needing a DDNS service).

Also, it is better to use SFTP if you are going to use FTP at all.

As you say, this is probably not relevant to OP based on later information.

cereberus, Feb 4, 2018
  13. FileZilla Frustration

Yes. FTP is an antique. Now I am brushing up there are several nice alternates. But each requires a learning curve and that does not fit the task or schedule

Some more clarifications.
    My immediate need is likely a one or two time thing at the most. There is nothing confidential in the files. The person uploading the files is not at all technical, so the law of KISS applies in spades.

What still looks like the best way for the uploading is Root>This PC>Rt click> Add a Network Connection. It looks like all I would have to do is supply the sender with the host side credentials? I have not taken this all the way through. With that she should be able to to click on the files in her Windows and send them to her ftp address in my cPanel? I trust the host has taken care of any necessary security protections. Maybe not?

For the download does anybody here here have any thoughts on the (rediscovered today) Add or Edit Firewall Rule

Again without working through it I would think I could set a rule to only allow my host/ and the specific ftp account to access the open port?

Additionally.
    I signed into the HAM radio program last night.

EchoLink requires that your router or firewall allow inbound and outbound UDP to ports 5198 and 5199, and outbound TCP to port 5200.

This is clearly another antique, but it looks very functional. It looks like there is some starter or detailed code to deal with the security issues? Not looked into them yet.

Given what it says here Firewall Solutions
    about Zone Alarm I would think that Defender rules could accomplish the same thing?

BTW. I run my box directly from a cable modem without a router. I have a couple of old ones but not had a need to set one up. But if that helps I will dig them out of the closet-fill and get them going. But again that does not fit into the current workload.

Thanks again for any thoughts on the above, especially the Defender Rules.

mikeincousa, Feb 5, 2018
  14. mikeincousa, Feb 6, 2018
  15. Eagle51 Win User
    Hey mikeincousa,
    What port are trying to use with FileZilla FTP Client ?

Note: I user FileZilla FTP client ... I just checked WD Firewall and I don't have any rules, inbound or outbound for FileZilla FTP Client.

Eagle51, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

FileZilla Frustration

1. FileZilla Frustration - Similar Threads - FileZilla Frustration

2. How to make FileZilla as default app?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to make FileZilla as default app?: Hiya, hope everyone doing well. I have FileZilla and Cyberduck installed in my Win 10 laptop. When I go to settings - default apps - choose default apps by protocolagainst URL: sftp protocol I see Cyberduck listed, on clicking it shows choose an app with options Cyberduck and...
  3. Remote file edit in Filezilla

Remote file edit in Filezilla: Hi there Just a hint for people using filezilla -- easy way to edit remote files when remote system only has console type text editors (vi/vim etc) If you have a remote server with non GUI - you can still edit files on it via filezilla say from a laptop using a full screen...
  4. FileZilla users - increase concurrent number of transfers

FileZilla users - increase concurrent number of transfers: Hi folks Some filezilla users might not be aware of this but you can increase throughput for file transfers by changing the maximum number of concurrent transfers to 10 -- it installs 2 by default. (The optimum number will be based on your network speed capability and also...
  5. Filezilla concurrent copying on same Host - Forget File Explorer

Filezilla concurrent copying on same Host - Forget File Explorer: Hi folks Just to remind people that if you like Filezilla (a load faster than file explorer by a mega factor) it will also much more securely copy files to HDD's / SDD's / directories on the SAME Host as well and it does concurrent transfers not just one at a time. On the...
  6. For Fast File XFER - Filezilla

For Fast File XFER - Filezilla: Hi there I can't recommend this FREE program highly enough - a winner in every way including sftp encrypted secure file transfers Works really fast, much more reliable than Windows explorer and can re-try, decent logs etc etc. Fast XFER, Windows to / from Windows, Windows...
  7. Forget slow RDP / SAMBA for file transfer -- FileZilla really fast

Forget slow RDP / SAMBA for file transfer -- FileZilla really fast: Hi folks for simple copying from a Remote Nas server TO windows - forget using things like RDP or SAMBA copying with file explorer-- Filezilla client on windows (supports sftp protocol) transfers a zillion times faster --just copied an 80GB Windows Virtual Machine image to a...
  8. Remote Windows FTP via Filezilla and SSL (FROM Linux TO windows)

Remote Windows FTP via Filezilla and SSL (FROM Linux TO windows): Hi folks Anybody got any comments about Filezilla as a client on a Linux GUI to retrieve files from a remote Windows system via SSL. It works perfectly from LINUX to LINUX (you need to ensure openssl and service sshd is running) but it seems a little bit of a pain to get an...
  9. Windows Defender Blocking FileZilla 3.41.2 Downloads

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Blocking FileZilla 3.41.2 Downloads: Windows Defender is continually blocking me from downloading Filezilla 3.41.2 We have quite a few users who require Filezilla installed, so this is going to cause an issue. This is a new issue for us as Defender has always allowed Filezilla to be downloaded and installed...
  10. Filezilla and any FTP software having slow upload and download windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Customization
    Filezilla and any FTP software having slow upload and download windows 10 Pro: Hello I have windows 10 pro latest updated at 20 Feb 2019. I have 100 MBPS Lease line. When i download through normal browser (Firefox or IE) download do not go beyond 150 to 200 Kbps rate. I daily use Filezilla FTP and over there rate is 200 to 250 Kbps. I have already...