Windows 10: Films & TV, Windows Media Player sometimes has codec issues

Discus and support Films & TV, Windows Media Player sometimes has codec issues in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have intermittent issues with the Films & TV app and Windows Media Player saying the file type is not supported, or the codec is not supported.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by dbhc_1122, Apr 30, 2020.

1. dbhc_1122 Win User

Films & TV, Windows Media Player sometimes has codec issues

I have intermittent issues with the Films & TV app and Windows Media Player saying the file type is not supported, or the codec is not supported.

What's confusing me is sometimes it does play the exact same videos, and sometimes it doesn't. I don't understand how sometimes the file is supported and sometimes it isn't.

Such as last night, I edited a movie and watched it through WMP as an MP4, no issues. This morning, it's not supported.

I have purchased movies on the Films & TV app so it's really frustrating as I cannot export these to another freeware platform to watch. Any help would be massively appreciated!

:)

dbhc_1122, Apr 30, 2020
  2. Crob1311 Win User

Film and TV app codecs, Windows 10

I have a digital recorder that saves the files in '.ts' format, which by default opens in the Film and TV app in windows 10, but then states that the format is not compatible. The files open fine and play in 'Windows Media Player' however they will not display
    as thumbnails in 'File Explorer' which they did in Windows 8.1 before I upgraded. I can convert them to '.mp4' and then see the thumbnails. The files will then play in 'Film and TV' and in 'Media Player'. Is this a codec problem, or would I be better served
    just getting rid of the Film and TV app and setting all the defaults to Media Player?

I understand there are a very large number of video formats about, but Media Player clearly has the necessary codec and Film and TV on the same computer does not.

Just to confuse the issue I have other '.ts' files from a different source, which play fine in both apps.

Any suggestions as I would much prefer to have one centre for handling and viewing my videos?

Crob1311, Apr 30, 2020
  3. video and sutitles of .MKV file are not working in Windows 10 Media Player and in Film & TV app

Actually mkv aren't supported by neither Film&TV not Windows Media Player, I'm sorry but It isn't possible until they include the mkv codec.

StefanoTamiotti, Apr 30, 2020
  4. Films & TV, Windows Media Player sometimes has codec issues

Subtitles are not working in Windows 10 Media Player and in Film & TV app

I used the same name of the video file and the .srt file in the same folder but subtitles are not working in both Windows 10 Media Player and Film & TV app.

How to run subtitles in Windows 10 Media Player and in Film & TV app ?

Saurav_Sarkar, Apr 30, 2020
Thema:

Films & TV, Windows Media Player sometimes has codec issues

1. Films & TV, Windows Media Player sometimes has codec issues - Similar Threads - Films Media Player

2. Media Player for Windows 11 codecs??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Media Player for Windows 11 codecs??: Hello! I have created and saved videos that are encoded using H.264 and saved them to my device. However, when I try to open them, the Media Player for Windows 11 says there's an issue with how they're encoded. How can I find what codecs are included in the media player so I...
  3. Why there are 3 media SW? Media Player, Windows Media Player and Films & TV?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why there are 3 media SW? Media Player, Windows Media Player and Films & TV?: It is just curiosity and I am thinking to delete one of them. Actually I've been using VLC for movies and musik spotify. Long time agora I used to use Winamp! Anyway, are those SW that come along with Windows 11 all relevant? Should I keep the 3? Which is the best for music...
  4. Why there are 3 media SW? Media Player, Windows Media Player and Films & TV?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why there are 3 media SW? Media Player, Windows Media Player and Films & TV?: It is just curiosity and I am thinking to delete one of them. Actually I've been using VLC for movies and musik spotify. Long time agora I used to use Winamp! Anyway, are those SW that come along with Windows 11 all relevant? Should I keep the 3? Which is the best for music...
  5. Windows Media player codecs conundrum

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Media player codecs conundrum: Hello, I have the codecs for my windows media player. But need more info on the file codecs.My music was downloaded from an old flash drive that was originally from Windows 7.When I tried to load it into Windows 10, half of the contents cannot be played.A pop up states...
  6. Windows Media player codecs conundrum

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Media player codecs conundrum: Hello, I have the codecs for my windows media player. But need more info on the file codecs.My music was downloaded from an old flash drive that was originally from Windows 7.When I tried to load it into Windows 10, half of the contents cannot be played.A pop up states...
  7. TV & Film app missing codec 0X887a0004 error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    TV & Film app missing codec 0X887a0004 error: Hi there I am getting a "missing codec 0X887a0004" code when I am trying to watch a video in the TV and Film app. If I open with Windows media player it works. Your assistence will be appreciated....
  8. How to open multiple instances/windows of films and tv media player?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to open multiple instances/windows of films and tv media player?: I know you can do this with VLC media player which I have, but I like to use films and tv for just personal preference for some mp4 videos, but every time I open another mp4 while another one is open, it plays the second mp4 but in the same windows, making the other mp4 stop...
  9. codecs for windows media player

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    codecs for windows media player: How do you download codecs for windows 10 media player? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/codecs-for-windows-media-player/7a55e77b-33b2-4323-93bb-afa9a2d1039d
  10. Window media player codec problems

in Windows 10 Support
    Window media player codec problems: I have downloaded and installed windows 10 codec from STANDARD Codecs for Windows 10, Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 but yet im not able to switch sound or subtitles from my .MKV files, does anyone know on what am i doing wrong and how can i solve the issue? 19145

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Films & TV media player