Windows 10: Filter keys for only one key?

Discus and support Filter keys for only one key? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi. I've been having a lot of trouble with the "A" key on my keyboard I should note that I'm using a laptop. It keeps repeating the letter twice about... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by mrkeyboardproblems, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Filter keys for only one key?

Hi. I've been having a lot of trouble with the "A" key on my keyboard I should note that I'm using a laptop. It keeps repeating the letter twice about a solid 25% of the time I press it and it's really annoying. I've tried the following things to no effect...

• Removing the "A" key and cleaning underneath it several times.
    • Going into Keyboard properties -> Speed -> Repeat delay and moving the slider all the way to the left.
    • Troubleshooting the keyboard via the troubleshoot menu no issues were found.

I have had more success by turning on "Filter Keys" and setting the repeat rate to 0.3 seconds. The A key no longer repeats. However, I now have some new problems that come with the nature of Filter Keys being on, such as having to retype the words "following" and "troubleshooting" several times because they require repeated letters to spell correctly, or being unable to hold down the backspace key to delete large amounts of text.

I guess the question I have is: is it possible to have "filter keys" only apply to my faulty "A" key? If not, what additional or alternative suggestions do you might have for dealing with my repeating "A" key issue?

Many thanks in advance!

:)

mrkeyboardproblems, Mar 29, 2020
  2. Yolvi Ell Win User

Filter Keys

Hi,

Filter Keys are part of the Ease of Access features in Windows 10 that can help users control the keypress repeat rate and ignore the repeated keys. This setting can be disabled by following these steps:

• Click Start.
    • Type Control Panel and press Enter.
    • Click Ease of Access.
    • Click Change how your keyboard works.
    • Click Set up Filter Keys.
    • Uncheck Turn on Filter Keys when right SHIFT is pressed for 8 seconds.
    • Uncheck Turn on Filter Keys.
    • Click Apply.
    • Click OK.
    • Restart your computer.

Let us know if you were able to turn Filter Keys off after following these steps.

----

If you think this was useful, you may "mark it as an answer" to help those who are facing the same problem.

Yolvi Ell, Mar 29, 2020
  3. Ease of access - Filter keys

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I can understand, how frustrating it can be, when things don’t work as expected.

I'd be glad to help you.

When you turn ON the Filter Keys on your computer, the keyboard will work, but there would be a delay for the computer in accepting the keystrokes, which you make on the computer. So, you need to hold the keys for some time
    and only then you would be able to see the effect on the screen. You may check this by opening a notepad and hold on the letter key “A” for a few seconds. If the “Filter Key” is enabled, the letter
    “A” will be displayed on the notepad only after a few seconds. To reduce this delay, you need to change the delay time from the “Repeat Keys and Slow Keys” settings. Please follow these steps, mentioned below and check,
    if it works:

a) Type Ease of Access Center on the Search bar to open the “Ease of Access Center”.

b) Now, click on the link “Make the keyboard easier to use

c) Under the section “Turn on Filter Keys”, click on the link “Set up Filter Keys”.

d) In the “Set up Filter Keys” screen, under the section “Filter Options”, select the option “Turn on Repeat Keys and Slow Keys”.

e) Then click on the link “Set up Repeat Keys and Slow Keys”.

f) In the “Set up Repeat Keys and Slow Keys” screen, under the section “Avoid accidental keystrokes” set the value for “How long do you want to hold down a key before your accepts
    the keystroke?
    ” to “0.0 seconds”.

g) Click on “Apply” and then “OK” three times.

Now, check if you are able to use the keyboard properly even when you have the “Filter Keys” enabled.

Please feel free to contact us, if you face any issues with Windows.

Thank you.

AntonyJose, Mar 29, 2020
  4. Raj Sinna Win User

Filter keys for only one key?

Filter Key

Hello there,

I have a problem with my Acer keyboard. Every time I start my computer, the filter key is on and keyboard is not working. I have to off the filter key on Ease of Access icon. Then the keyboard works.

I know I could go to Ease of Access center and uncheck the filter key. Is there anyway where I could make the filter key off permanently so that I could use the keyboard straightaway as I start my computer.

Hope someone help on this?

Thanks.

Raj Sinna, Mar 29, 2020
Thema:

Filter keys for only one key?

1. Filter keys for only one key? - Similar Threads - Filter keys key

2. Filter keys not working properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Filter keys not working properly: So the issue is that sometimes i press a key for a bit longer and it prints a letter double.... so i just want the 1st repeated keystroke to be delayed and for that i switched on filter keys>repeat keys and there it has 2 options :1. Wait before accepting the first keystroke...
  3. Filter keys not working properly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Filter keys not working properly: So the issue is that sometimes i press a key for a bit longer and it prints a letter double.... so i just want the 1st repeated keystroke to be delayed and for that i switched on filter keys>repeat keys and there it has 2 options :1. Wait before accepting the first keystroke...
  4. Keyboard: one key only repeats

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard: one key only repeats: For a while, one key on this Windows 10 PC, namely '@ Apostrophe, At on a UK keyboard layout fails to inut its character immediately. If pressed continuously it does input a string of repetitions of the correct character after the usual delay. This is not a hardware issue as...
  5. Keyboard: one key only repeats

Keyboard: one key only repeats: For a while, one key on this Windows 10 PC, namely '@ Apostrophe, At on a UK keyboard layout fails to inut its character immediately. If pressed continuously it does input a string of repetitions of the correct character after the usual delay. This is not a hardware issue as...
  6. Filter keys not working properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Filter keys not working properly

8. Filter keys not turning off

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Filter keys not turning off: So, basically I try to do anything but filter keys is on so I go to the little startup thing to turn it off, and its already off, so I press shift 5 times, nothing I hols shift for 8 seconds, nothing WHAT DO I DO submitted by /u/that-drawinguy [link] [comments]...
  9. Killing sticky keys and filter keys in windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Killing sticky keys and filter keys in windows 10: Every time i restart these are active again, ive tried, going in through shift 5 times. going to the control panel and disabeling sticky and filter keys, and going into their sub menus and disabling them in there, LITTERALLY HUNDREDS OF TIMES. ive reinstalled windows 7 times...
  10. filter key

in Windows 10 Customization
    filter key: how do I turn off filter keys? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/filter-key/4b82c632-80a2-4d72-bd2a-a252f61c6d11