Windows 10: Finalizing a Video DVD so it can be played on other computers

Discus and support Finalizing a Video DVD so it can be played on other computers in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; There must be a way to finalise a Video DVD burn in windows 10 but I can't find it. Any help would be appreciated thanks 74259 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by peterpotus, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Finalizing a Video DVD so it can be played on other computers

There must be a way to finalise a Video DVD burn in windows 10 but I can't find it.
    Any help would be appreciated thanks

:)

peterpotus, Jan 6, 2017
  2. mlg63 Win User

Burnt dvd is not recgnized on stand alone dvd-player, but on the pc there is no problem

Windows 10 Media player cannot burn video dvds so you must have used another program to burn the dvd. Open that program and check for
    finalize dvd to enable playing the dvd on other players. A dvd that has not been finalized cannot be played on any other device. You also must use a "write once" dvd and not a re-writable one.

mlg63, Jan 6, 2017
  3. Todd62Riv Win User
    Can a video be rotated so that it is not upside down?

Can the video be rotated so it is not upside down? Had to have video camera upside down while filming.

Todd62Riv, Jan 6, 2017
  4. Finalizing a Video DVD so it can be played on other computers

Hi there peterpotus and welcome to Ten Forums!

As I understand it finalising a DVD means it can be played on other devices such as DVD players and other computers.

This thread may be of some use to you Close/Finalize DVD Disc.

Windows DVD maker also may be helpful but can only be used if you have a computer running Windows 7.

I could suggest for you to look closely in the tool bar options for burn/format while exploring the DVD. What program did you use to create the DVD in? Is there a option to finalise using that program?

I have heard that ImgBurn has an option for finalising DVD's so you could give that a whril too *Wink.

ellellell1, Jan 7, 2017
  5. spunk Win User
    Movie files require specific software to convert the files to DVD format to allow it to play in a set top player.
    The type of disc depends on whether the disc needs to be finalized or not. DVD-+RW media needs to be Finalized after burning or it will not be readable on any other computer. These type of discs can be reused but need to be Formatted after use. We do not suggest using RW discs to burn DVD Movies as many set top players cannot read this type of disc.
    DVD-+R disc is write once media. When burning is complete and the disc is ejected, it is automatically Finalized by the software. No further user action required. If a burn fails, these type of discs are not reusable, so they should be thrown away.
    Where is the video that you are trying to burn to DVD coming from? If it is a home movie from a camera, a file created in a software program like Windows Movie Maker? etc or is it a file you downloaded with a file extension of wmv, avi, mpeg etc?
    a DVD format has a different files system. The root of the DVD has two files. AUDIO_TS, and VIDEO_TS the AUDIO_TS folder is always empty. The VIDEO_TS folder has various VTS_xx files in it. xx being chapter numbers.
    There are many programs that allow you to convert saved video files (avi, mpeg, wmv etc) to DVD format. One of our favorite free ones is DVDFlick.

spunk, Jan 8, 2017
  6. Thank you Ellellell1 and Spunk. Both of your replies give me hope.

The mention of Windows 7 reminds me that I did not have this problem on Windows Vista.

I created a MPEG2 movie from camera files using Corel Studio Vista 9. Then using the same program I burnt it to a --R DVD. None of the "Player" programs on the computer would play the disc it created BUT it played quite OK on 2 TV DVD players of different brands and ages.

I then tried using the Windows 10 "Burn to DVD" facility and got exactly the same result.

Getting desperate I re-installed AVG Disc Creator and using the "DATA" option (as opposed to the Video option) burnt a disk which works on the computer and the TV DVD players.

This is only a partly successful workaround as I can't create a Disc Menu. I need this as the project was to put 4 short MPEG 2 movies on the DVD. Some people who get the DVD can't play MPEG4.

I certainly appreciate your advice and will try your suggestions.

A prominent feature of Windows 10 seems to be the lack of specific W10 help. I usually have to weed through advice aimed at much earlier versions, even though I preface every search with the words Windows 10. I don't solve my ignorance I seem to increase it.

Thanks

Peter

peterpotus, Jan 8, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    Windows Vista (and Windows 7 as I had before the upgrade) included the Microsoft DVD Maker in some editions, this may have been what you used previously. This could easily make standard DVD video format disks (with menus) that could be played in any DVD player. Unfortunately this, along with the other Media Centre features were removed by the upgrade to Windows 10. Even Media Player lost the ability to play DVDs.

As I often made DVDs from my home movies I found an alternative, the free DVDStyler. I use the Portable Apps version, because that comes without any unwanted 'extras': DVDStyler Portable | PortableApps.com - Portable software for USB, portable and cloud drives

Bree, Jan 8, 2017
  8. Finalizing a Video DVD so it can be played on other computers

Yes, I too used WDVDM. I even have a seperate Windows 7 machine setup specifically for this purpose.

Hope you find success in these suggestions Peter *Wink.

Also out of curiosity would making a new DVD be practical for you? I have heard that DVD Styler does create DVD's with menu's and from memory it automatically finalises the DVD too.

If you are looking to play DVD's on the computer VLC media player can pick up mostly all DVD formats, which could be helpful if Windows Media Player is being funny *Confused.

ellellell1, Jan 8, 2017
  9. Ellellell1 and Bree

Thank you both.

I will try your ideas.

Msoft certainly moves in mysterious ways sometimes. I thought my logic was failing me but now, maybe not so much.

peterpotus, Jan 9, 2017
  10. spunk Win User
    If you have a MP4 (MPEG4) files and want to burn them to a DVD menu, use the Free DVDFlick.
    Program

spunk, Jan 9, 2017
  11. Thanks Spunk

I have burnt a new DVD with the same MPEG-2 files using DVD Styler Portable and it did a good job simply.

The Menu went easily and the options are all I want.

This computer still won't open the DVD it just made but the important thing is that it, including the Menu works on a TV/DVD player.

Much appreciate the help from you and Ellellell 1.

peterpotus, Jan 10, 2017
  12. kipper Win User
    This looks kind of interesting and might satisfy your needs: WinX DVD Author

kipper, Jan 10, 2017
  13. PiKo Win User

Finalizing a Video DVD so it can be played on other computers

If the DVD plays on a DVD player, and not on your PC, you should concentrate on your PC. Does your PC play other DVD's?

14. Bree New Member
    As I said earlier, Microsoft removed all Media Centre features from Windows 10, including Media Player's ability to play DVDs. You need a 3rd-party solution now, such as the free VLC Media Player. As a sop to those of us who upgraded to 10 from a Media Centre edition, we got Microsoft's 'Windows DVD Player' app as a free update (others had to buy it). Basic, but does the job.

15. IRQtheCat Win User
    I recommend checking videohelp.com Quite useful, as is this forum.

IRQtheCat, Jan 10, 2017
Thema:

Finalizing a Video DVD so it can be played on other computers

1. Finalizing a Video DVD so it can be played on other computers - Similar Threads - Finalizing Video DVD

2. How to fix it So i can play with others

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to fix it So i can play with others: How pls tell me how to fix it so i can play with others https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-fix-it-so-i-can-play-with-others/825f1831-3693-4f2f-b442-9c16758fa053
  3. How to fix it So i can play with others

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to fix it So i can play with others: How pls tell me how to fix it so i can play with others https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-fix-it-so-i-can-play-with-others/825f1831-3693-4f2f-b442-9c16758fa053
  4. Can I play DVD video with Windows Media Player

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I play DVD video with Windows Media Player: I have DVDs that play on my Blu-ray device with video and audio output to the TV. Can that same DVD play with WMP? Presumably NOT to the TV, but to my Windows monitor!TIA for you help.SweetTasha...
  5. Can I play DVD video with Windows Media Player

Can I play DVD video with Windows Media Player: I have DVDs that play on my Blu-ray device with video and audio output to the TV. Can that same DVD play with WMP? Presumably NOT to the TV, but to my Windows monitor!TIA for you help.SweetTasha...
  6. How to finalize a dvd-R on Windows 10 so it'll play on a standard DVD player

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to finalize a dvd-R on Windows 10 so it'll play on a standard DVD player: So I've been burning some MP4 files that I converted from another format for some classes I'm wanting to be able to watch on my non-smart TV. With Windows 7 that was easy, you'd finish, hit finalize and all was well. On Windows 10 there is no finalize option at all and my...
  7. can not play dvd

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    can not play dvd: what do i need to try update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-not-play-dvd/14da4a8c-3be5-4f23-81d7-6c241d433486
  8. DVD Drive is not Playing video DVDs

DVD Drive is not Playing video DVDs: In my DVD Drive any of my Video DVDs are not playing. Audio CDs are well supported and playing well. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/dvd-drive-is-not-playing-video-dvds/f73f1712-0de8-430d-96a5-5c72206c6f4e
  9. DVD Drive is not Playing video CDs

DVD Drive is not Playing video CDs: In my DVD Drive any of my Video CDs are not playing. Audio CDs are well supported and playing well. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/dvd-drive-is-not-playing-video-cds/f73f1712-0de8-430d-96a5-5c72206c6f4e
  10. audio but no video when playing dvd

audio but no video when playing dvd: I recently updated to windows 10 and haven't had too many problems, although my Toshiba video player gives me audio but not video when playing dvds. This isn't usually a problem for me unless I'm somewhere that doesn't give me internet access, that's when I'll put on a dvd....