Windows 10: Finally Host Windows Free -- Loads of VM's though

Discus and support Finally Host Windows Free -- Loads of VM's though in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there finally today replaced 2 NAS boxes and a desktop with a a single 4 processor server with 72 GB RAM in it Running Linux Arch as HOST -- now... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Jan 6, 2020.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Finally Host Windows Free -- Loads of VM's though

Hi there
    finally today replaced 2 NAS boxes and a desktop with a a single 4 processor server with 72 GB RAM in it

Running Linux Arch as HOST -- now running loads of Windows VM's on QEMU/KVM hypervisor with the win-virtio paravirtualised drivers.

PCI passthru works a treat

Don't need Host W10 any more !!! I just have it now on 1 Work supplied laptop !!!!

VM speed with the win-virtio drivers is as good as or even better than Native on the older machines (mind you 4 X XEON processors helps !!!!!)

Also ensure the network driver (ethernet) is a parvirtualised win-virtio one --all the drivers are on the iso) as that improves networking from VM to real machines on Lan and outside (wider Internet) and use bridged networking -- i.e create a "virtual bridge" from a physical network interface to the virtual bridge -- it's all in the arch wiki or google for other distros on how to do it -- Ubuntu and Fedora are decently explained for creating windows VMs with KVM on these hosts.

The only draw backs are 2) :

1) can't yet get the hotplug USB system to work so USB devices need to be added and removed before boot of the VM -- I'm currently still working on that

2) UEFI - haven't yet got working either for Windows VM's -- but does it matter on Windows VM's !!! the largest VM I have on Windows is only around 60 GB anyway and I've massive amounts of HDD's and SSD's.

VM's these days if you set them up properly are brilliant.

BTW graphics pci passthru works a treat as well so 3-D , hardware acceleration, so can easily run photoshop, multi media clients etc etc.

Hardware capture device on W10 VM captures properly SKY from SKY Q box, and both AMAZON Prime and Netflix from Amazon fire TV stick. XP stuff with legacy hardware also OK as is a W7 VM for testing whether free upgrade to W10 still works. !!!

Makes HYPER-V performance look a bit like a sick animal currently -- although that might be my ignorance / inexperience of using it.

BTW on KVM/QEMU if you set to allow 2nd level VM (i.e nested VM's) you can enable HYPER-V in a Windows VM -- the WSL then works a treat !!!! -- haven't though tried running HYPER-V in a VM though.

VMWare does work concurrently with KVM/QEMU but I've converted all my VMWare VM's to KVM -- just keeping VMWare in case things go bonkers !!!

Very happy today from a cold and snowy day -- even the dog is saying HI as I finish this (I think it wants its dinner !!!!)

Taking it to the pub now --I'm hideously thirsty !!!!

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jan 6, 2020

2. Can I share a network connection from a VM to the host OS?

hmm, i will assumer no responces = no, i cannot share it... lucky me, i finally got it to work in 7 with steps pretty close... Program Files > Pantech is where you will need to point windows to inorder to the card running in 7... though it would be nice to be able to share hardware and network connections from a VM to the host PC...

beyond_amusia, Jan 6, 2020
  3. Account failed logon 4625 on VM guest when clicking the entry of VM guest on failover cluster Manager on VM Host

Issue:

We found a multiple failed logon events on VM guest (evert ID 4625) with account (the account you logon on VM host) when we clicking the entry of VM guest on failover cluster manager console on VM host with Integration servers (Data Exchange) is enabled.

How to reproduce:

1. Check the “Data Exchange” is enabled on a VM guest (Enabled by default, right?)
    2. Open Failover Cluster Manager Console on VM host.
    3. Click the VM guest entry
    4. Then you may found multiple failed logon events on that VM guest.

Reference:

Hyper-V Integration Services

Question:

1. Does the multiple failed logons are normal or necessary?
    2. If the failed logons are normal and necessary to be happened and the “Data exchange” function is good to be enabled to gather data from VM guest, any recommendation for us to correct or avoid these failed logon?

Please advise.

Constrain:

We have no chance to use same account and password on VM hosts and VM guests (because all account are managed by password management) and the Audit Policy of Audit Credential Validation must be enabled.

KeithW_911, Jan 6, 2020
  4. Finally Host Windows Free -- Loads of VM's though

Can you allow the host to use the VM network connection?

If you use a VM...

this is possible although not immediately obviously useful. My situation was one where the vm os was able to change settings on a wireless network adapter which allowed me to pick up the signal at a useable strength. The host could not do this. So I was in the weird situation where the vm os - backtrack - had internet but the host - osx 10.6 - did not. Annoying.

Easily corrected as follows:
    1. connect the vm to the network, in my case this was wireless so wlan0
    2. set up the vm so that is has a local network with the host, make sure the host can ping the vm. In my case this meant enabling eth0 in the vm
    3. set up ip forward and iptables masquerade rules on the vm.
    4. change the default route of the host to be the vm local ip
    5. enjoy the vm network via the host

now I imagine some readers will want more detail on ip forward and masquerade with iptables but there are a lot of tutorials out there for this stuff. It depends on the vm os but if you are using linux then

ip forward with:
    $ echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

iptables rules something like this
    iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s $PRIVATE -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE

{clearly $PRIVATE is your private subnet, set the rules up to run at ifup}

*Smile Finally Host Windows Free -- Loads of VM's though :)

MatteusBlanc, Jan 6, 2020
Thema:

Finally Host Windows Free -- Loads of VM's though

1. Finally Host Windows Free -- Loads of VM's though - Similar Threads - Finally Host Free

2. Windows 11 host virtualization VM sound problems.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 host virtualization VM sound problems.: Good day!Introductory:PC: Notebook MSI Raider GE76OS: Windows 11 with latest updates. Installed everything that the update center sees.VMware Workstation 16 and 17 virtualization is used. The same problem was observed in virtualbox virtualization.On all virtual machines with...
  3. Windows Activation in a VM, Host OS Linux

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Activation in a VM, Host OS Linux: I have a Dell system that came pre-installed with Windows.I have replaced my host OS with Linux, and I wish to run Windows in a VM. I downloaded a Windows image from Microsoft, but it is expiring. The box does not have a license key printed on it, and the VM does not detect...
  4. VM's - What VM OS'es /hosts / virt progs are you using

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VM's - What VM OS'es /hosts / virt progs are you using: Hi folks I was just amazed that on a topic on XP I got over 10,000 views and another one over 14,000 -- so I thought would be interesting to get an idea of what VM's people are running, on what type of HOST system and what Virtualisation platform they are using -- I know...
  5. W10 VM on W2K19 VM on KVM Host !! nested VM's

W10 VM on W2K19 VM on KVM Host !! nested VM's: Hi folks So far got HYPER-V to run on a Virtual machine creating a lower level W10 VM - The W2K19 machine is itself a VM running on under KVM/QEMU So far only got Gen 1 to work -- with Gen 2 machine starts but no video - will look at that later but here's the Gen 1 VM So...
  6. Windows 10 inside a VM hosted locally

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 inside a VM hosted locally: Hello, We have a need to have 2 Windows 10 installations on some of our company's laptops for use on a certain project. I have read https://download.microsoft.com/download/9/8/d/98d6a56c-4d79-40f4-8462-da3ecba2dc2c/licensing_windows_desktop_os_for_virtual_machines.pdf and...
  7. Enable Windows VM's HOST access with KVM HOSTS

Enable Windows VM's HOST access with KVM HOSTS: Hi folks If you are playing around with KVM Hosts and want Windows VM's to have host access without going through all problems of creating bridges (not supported via KVM on WIFI anyway) here's a simple way to do it : The method works by defining a "Virtual network" and a...
  8. Setup internet connection of Hyper-v VM to isolate VM and host

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Setup internet connection of Hyper-v VM to isolate VM and host: I'd like to set up a VM (with Hyper-v) with a Linux distro. I want to isolate VM and host as more as possible. I don't enable advanced mode. But VM should be connected to Internet. I didn't think it was a matter but I was alarmed by this article...
  9. Debian Stretch VM on latest Windows Host with VM - USB3 broken

Debian Stretch VM on latest Windows Host with VM - USB3 broken: Hi folks Windows Host -- latest Insider rel w10 pro a-64. I like DEBIAN also for servers -- latest LTS ( Debian "Stretch") avoids 99% of problems with SAMBA / Windows connections etc but there is a problem with VMWARE workstation 14.1 when you try and attach a USB3 external...
  10. Free web hosting and free unreal ircd server hosting help please

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Free web hosting and free unreal ircd server hosting help please: Hi my name is and I need help, I need a free web-host 1 GB, webhost has to have a cpanel phpmyadmin and mysql and php extension and a ftp. I also need a free host for unrealircd server, I also need a tutorial on how to setup unreal ircd server on a webhost 55595