Windows 10: Finally! Windows 10 Feature Updates Will Be (Almost) Completely Optional!

Discus and support Finally! Windows 10 Feature Updates Will Be (Almost) Completely Optional! in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Guys, One of the drawbacks of early versions of Windows 10 Home was that feature updates were automatically delivered to the user, the same way as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JackPlatt, Apr 6, 2019.

1. JackPlatt Win User

Finally! Windows 10 Feature Updates Will Be (Almost) Completely Optional!

Guys,

One of the drawbacks of early versions of Windows 10 Home was that feature updates were automatically delivered to the user, the same way as stability and security updates. At least one month for all security and stability updates, and twice a year, new build versions of Windows 10, whether you wanted them or not.

May's 1903 Windows 10 build allows you to keep getting the important security updates on a regular basis. (With the ability to pause updates up to 35 days in 7 day cycles.) This helps make sure that there aren't any last minute problems.

Also, in build 1903, will be the Download and Install Now option, where new feature updates will sit in the query. You will get an Action Center notice when they are ready, but you won't be forced to install them until you click the "Download and Install Now" button. When your current Windows 10 version build is about to expire, only then, (unless you manually download the new builds earlier) will any new version builds in the Windows Update query automatically install.

Windows Defender security updates will remain on a separate part of the OS, and will be checked at least once daily and installed, regardless of the above settings. This way, users are getting what they need to keep their computer or devices safe, and not getting something that they don't want until the near end of the feature build cycle. This is a great step ahead for Windows 10 and a true game-changer!

Jack

:)

JackPlatt, Apr 6, 2019
  2. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Finally!  Windows 10 Feature Updates Will Be (Almost) Completely Optional! :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Apr 6, 2019
  3. P4-630 Win User
    Windows 10 Creators Update to Feature New Levels of Privacy Control

Just a tiny step closer before I'll upgrade to windows 10....

P4-630, Apr 6, 2019
  4. MrGenius Win User

Microsoft to make Windows 10 updates mandatory

Well, at the moment at least, you can choose to defer upgrades. Under Settings > Windows Updates > Advanced options you need to check the box labeled "Defer upgrades". What does that do? Good question. The answer I've found might illuminate it to a degree.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/defer-upgrades-in-windows-10

I hear this only applies to Pro and Enterprise editions. But I can't verify that.

MrGenius, Apr 6, 2019
Thema:

1. Finally! Windows 10 Feature Updates Will Be (Almost) Completely Optional! - Similar Threads - Finally Feature Updates

2. Microsoft's windows 10 Update finally broke my Laptop completely!!!!!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Microsoft's windows 10 Update finally broke my Laptop completely!!!!!: I do not have use of my HP Pavillion Laptop anymore since Microsoft's Windows 10 Updates!!!!! I got my printer privileges denied first this past summer. Now in November & December been fighting my Laptop to do all easy things I did before corruptive Updates!!!! I can't...
  3. Microsoft's windows 10 Update finally broke my Laptop completely!!!!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft's windows 10 Update finally broke my Laptop completely!!!!!: I do not have use of my HP Pavillion Laptop anymore since Microsoft's Windows 10 Updates!!!!! I got my printer privileges denied first this past summer. Now in November & December been fighting my Laptop to do all easy things I did before corruptive Updates!!!! I can't...
  4. Microsoft's windows 10 Update finally broke my Laptop completely!!!!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Optional "Wireless Display" Feature Install not Finalizing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Optional "Wireless Display" Feature Install not Finalizing: I am trying to use my laptop's display as a second monitor for my PC. I opened settings and went to the "Projecting to This PC" section. It told me to install the Wireless Display feature, so I did. It told me that I needed to restart the system to finish installing. I did...
  6. Microsoft is about to finalize the next boring Windows 10 feature update

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is about to finalize the next boring Windows 10 feature update: Windows 10 is an evolving platform and Microsoft occasionally adds new features or adjusts the behaviour of default features. Like the current Windows 10 October 2020 Update, Microsoft is believed to be working on another scoped release of the operating system with a limited...
  7. Windows 10 Optional Feature Update 2004

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Optional Feature Update 2004: My version = Windows 10 Home - 1909 - 64 bit - currently kept daily updated. Optional update 2004 first appeared on my update list on 17 June. On 24 June it was removed and no longer shows as an optional update. Anybody know why it has suddenly disappeared ? 159672
  8. I downloaded Windows 10 Update 2004 , the Feature Update but it stalled in final...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I downloaded Windows 10 Update 2004 , the Feature Update but it stalled in final...: I downloaded Windows 10Update 2004, the Feature Update, it did not complete downloading and installing but stalled in the installation phase at 79%, is there anything I can do without losing programs because it says that I should not turn off the computer was the sytem is...
  9. Windows 10 Laptop Almost Completely Unusable

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Laptop Almost Completely Unusable: A few days ago, i logged onto my laptop to find that it was in ‘safe mode’ with a black background and i had no sound and couldn’t use the internet. Every other device in my house has perfect internet. I managed to get the computer out of safe mode by using some tricks of...
  10. Windows 10 will finally deliver a refined optional updates experience

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 will finally deliver a refined optional updates experience: With Windows 10, Microsoft moved all options to manage Windows Update from the Control Panel to the Settings app. Settings app offers a more modern and straightforward approach, but it does not allow users to manage optional updates. Windows optional updates can be driver...