Windows 10: Find a list of deleted programs after system restore

Discus and support Find a list of deleted programs after system restore in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I recently had to use a system restore to restore to a previous point because I had some problems with my audio drivers. This deleted quite a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by CiprianDrugu, Dec 26, 2019.

1. Find a list of deleted programs after system restore

Hello,

I recently had to use a system restore to restore to a previous point because I had some problems with my audio drivers. This deleted quite a large number of programs I had installed. I do not necessarily want to restore the programs along with their data, I just need to find out which programs got removed so I can reinstall them manually.

Is there any way I can achieve this?

:)

CiprianDrugu, Dec 26, 2019
  2. jellyroll Win User

How to delete inactive System Image Restore Points in System Restore

Windows 10 64-bit.
    When I click "show more restore points" in System Restore I see a bunch of old "system image restore points" that were deleted in past and do not correspond to any currently active restore points. Clicking any of these old restore points, I simply get an error message saying they could not be found, and to select another restore point instead.I would like to delete these restore points listings but have been unable to do so.
    So far, I have tried steps mentioned below without any luck :

Disk Cleanup through (CFind a list of deleted programs after system restore :) Properties
    Disable System Protection (OFF and ON) in System Protection for OS (CFind a list of deleted programs after system restore :)
    Disk Space Usage to minimum (slider button all the way to the left then 'Delete all restore points for this drive'),
    Delete all shown Restore points in CCleaner (the problem ones do not show here),
    Reset Windows Backup to Default in Windows 10 with 'Reset_Windows_Backup.bat' utility.

Any suggestions highly welcome.

jellyroll, Dec 26, 2019
  3. Bree Win User

I know of no easier way to delete them, so here are the instructions.

A System Image restore point is describe as type 'Backup'.

Find a list of deleted programs after system restore [​IMG]

First, go to Settings > Backup & Restore > Recovery and select the 'Restart now' button in Advanced Start-up.

When you get Advanced Start-up, select Troubleshoot, then Advanced Options, then Command Prompt.

You will be asked to choose an administrator account and supply it's password, then the Command Prompt will open.

Type the commands DISKPART then LIST VOL and EXIT to see a list of all drives, in this example the Windows system is on the C: drive, yours may have a different letter. Whatever the letter is, type it followed by a colon to switch to that drive, in this example I typed C:

Then use the CD (change directory) command CD System Volume Information\WindowsImageBackup

Use the DIR command to check you are in the right folder, then use DEL to delete the contents of each of the Catalog and SPPMetadataCache folders.

Youn can now close the command prompt window (or type EXIT) to restart the PC and go back to Windows.

All System Image Restore points of type 'Backup' will now have gone.

4. jellyroll Win User

Find a list of deleted programs after system restore

AndreTen - I have tried Disk Cleanup but unfortunately the problem entries did not go away.
    I feel certain Bree (VIP Member) has identified the correct cause of this problem as above and his adviced solution should also do the trick.

- - - Updated - - -

Bree - Thank you. I must admit that I did use 'Create system image' a few times in 'Backup & Restore (Windows 7)' instead of 'Backup now' and these ghost entries relate to those actions. You have rightly identified the cause of this issue.
    It is crazy that Microsoft has put two different backup options causing the issue of these ghost restore points.

Regarding your advice on how to rectify the issue - I must add that I am not very computer savvy and feel reluctant to use Diskpart utility etc to delete 'WindowsImageBackup\SPPMetadataCache' and 'WindowsImageBackup\Catalog folders' from within 'System Volume Information' folder with command Prompt as I fear damaging the pc by making any mistakes, as I have never done this before.

Please advice if there may be another simpler method to delete the above folders OR if you are able and have time to post a step by step instructions (with pictures if possible) on how to follow your advice. Much appreciated.

jellyroll, Dec 26, 2019
Thema:

Find a list of deleted programs after system restore

1. Find a list of deleted programs after system restore - Similar Threads - Find list deleted

2. System restore not detecting backups after deleting WOW6432

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    System restore not detecting backups after deleting WOW6432: Hi all,I can imagine you know where this question is going, but I'm slightly panicking right now. I accidentally deleted wow6432 in my registry, and now my boot screen seems to automatically BSOD after showing the HP logo.Thankfully I was able to boot into f8 menu, but it...
  3. System restore not detecting backups after deleting WOW6432

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System restore not detecting backups after deleting WOW6432: Hi all,I can imagine you know where this question is going, but I'm slightly panicking right now. I accidentally deleted wow6432 in my registry, and now my boot screen seems to automatically BSOD after showing the HP logo.Thankfully I was able to boot into f8 menu, but it...
  4. System restore not detecting backups after deleting WOW6432

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Get back programs after system restore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Get back programs after system restore: How do I get back my programs after a system restore? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/get-back-programs-after-system-restore/45d52eab-c509-4a05-8292-4ff039d5d799
  6. Would it be possible to retrieve a list of installed programs from a system restore without...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Would it be possible to retrieve a list of installed programs from a system restore without...: I need to gather a list of what was installed at the time of a system restore points creation as it holds programs I do not have anymore but I do not want to use the restore point as it will overwrite a lot of what I have reinstalled. Is it possible to retrieve the list (Like...
  7. Unable to restore Win 10 after program delete

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Unable to restore Win 10 after program delete: I am a senior and a non-techie. As such, I think I've really put my foot in it this time! After reading a LifeHacker article, I wanted to try the Everything Toolbar on my PC. It installed without problems. I then decided to delete the program zip file which I did. Then I...
  8. I cannot find the list of deleted 3rd part apps and programs after a system reset.

I cannot find the list of deleted 3rd part apps and programs after a system reset.: After performing a system reset, I expected to find a link to the deleted 3rd party app and programs on the desktop. While there is a shortcut to the 'old' Microsoft edge on the desktop, it did not contain the list - it was just the welcome page. Is it in a text file...
  9. System restore point got deleted after failed restore attempt

System restore point got deleted after failed restore attempt: Hi. OS: Windows 10 (I believe it's Educational version) 1903 - with all updates available. Here's what happened: I started System Restore to a point from few hours ago (installed an app that messed up my env vars - whatever...) It all looked fine, PC rebooted and was...
  10. Application getting deleted after System restore

Application getting deleted after System restore: I have an app we created with a folder and executable file. Every time I run system restore to an earlier date it removes them. How can I prevent this? Is there any cmd instructions to tell restore not to remove that folder or a white list for system restore? Please help!...