Windows 10: Find and Replace parts of a file name text for multiple files in Windows 10

Discus and support Find and Replace parts of a file name text for multiple files in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a problem in "Finding and Replacing" parts of a file name text for multiple files. Does Microsoft have a facility to do this as XP used to have?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by peterireland6, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Find and Replace parts of a file name text for multiple files in Windows 10

I have a problem in "Finding and Replacing" parts of a file name text for multiple files. Does Microsoft have a facility to do this as XP used to have? I cannot find it anywhere on the Windows 10 system?

:)

peterireland6, Feb 13, 2020
  2. red268 Win User

Gathering Names Of Multiple Files

Is it possible to get the names of multiple files and paste them in to Notepad or Word or something?

Not sure how clear that is - I've got a folder with lots and lots of films from holidays etc. I've spent ages renaming them all to something meaningful (Other than Mov0001, Mov0002 etc etc)
    Unfortunatly, at the time, I didn't think to copy and paste the names in to a file as I did each one. But now people want to know what things I've got - so I want a list of all the names without having to type each one out seperately.

Any ideas?

Thanks

red268, Feb 13, 2020
  3. Squirrely Win User
    Gathering Names Of Multiple Files

Try this snippit in a batch file:

You have to specify where to go with the batch file, which is what the cd command is for. Then, once the prompt is in that directory, the last command lists all of the files (including directories) in the list_of_files.txt text file, since dir is a command, not the directory location. *Smile Find and Replace parts of a file name text for multiple files in Windows 10 :)

Edit: Also, if your directory has spaces, you may have to put the directory in quotes, such as:

Squirrely, Feb 13, 2020
  4. slozomby Win User

Find and Replace parts of a file name text for multiple files in Windows 10

Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Feb 13, 2020
Thema:

Find and Replace parts of a file name text for multiple files in Windows 10

1. Find and Replace parts of a file name text for multiple files in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Find Replace parts

2. Renaming multiple files from a text file or copy names from other group of files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Renaming multiple files from a text file or copy names from other group of files: HiI want to rename all files on a folder with the file names from the different folder. like I have some files in "folder 1" with all deferent names. I want to rename files in "folder 2" with same names as in "folder 1"It's like copying names from one folder to anotherPlz...
  3. Renaming multiple files from a text file or copy names from other group of files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Renaming multiple files from a text file or copy names from other group of files: HiI want to rename all files on a folder with the file names from the different folder. like I have some files in "folder 1" with all deferent names. I want to rename files in "folder 2" with same names as in "folder 1"It's like copying names from one folder to anotherPlz...
  4. Renaming multiple files from a text file or copy names from other group of files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Rename file name by Find and Replace in Microsoft Windows

Rename file name by Find and Replace in Microsoft Windows: Hi, I have thousands of pdf files on my PC, If I want to rename the files all together how can I find and replace all the file names one time?...
  6. Finding and Replacing parts of a file name text for multiple files

Finding and Replacing parts of a file name text for multiple files: I have a problem in "Finding and Replacing" parts of a file name text for multiple files. Does Microsoft have a facility to this as XP used to have? I cannot find it anywhere on the Windows 10 system?...
  7. I have a problem in "Finding and Replacing" parts of a file name text. Does Microsoft have...

I have a problem in "Finding and Replacing" parts of a file name text. Does Microsoft have...: I have a problem in "Finding and Replacing" parts of a file name text. Does Microsoft have a facility to this as XP used to have? I cannot find it anywhere on the Winows 10 system....
  8. Remove part file name in bunch of files

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove part file name in bunch of files: I have a bunch of files that have the same name in all the files. I do not want to go through all 244 files and remove it manually. They are MP3's that I have purchased and saved. I got hit with ransonware a few weeks ago, and it renamed all of my mp3's with the extension...
  9. find text somwhere on my computer or in a file name

find text somwhere on my computer or in a file name: Find text somewhere on my computer. May be in a file name https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/find-text-somwhere-on-my-computer-or-in-a-file/c83d94d4-0848-4e38-89c9-19df41aa166d"
  10. Find and Replace Text in Notepad in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Find and Replace Text in Notepad in Windows 10: How to: Find and Replace Text in Notepad in Windows 10 How to Find and Replace Text in Notepad in Windows 10 Notepad is a simple text editor included in Windows and a basic text-editing program which enables computer users to create documents. You can search to find...