Windows 10: Find and Replace, Word, with wildcards?

Discus and support Find and Replace, Word, with wildcards? in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; I'm trying to replace in a TXT files lines of the form: [email protected]com or [email protected] with @xyz.com or @xyz.org I can't seem to find the... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by x509, Jun 11, 2021.

1. x509 Win User

Find and Replace, Word, with wildcards?

I'm trying to replace in a TXT files lines of the form: [email protected]com or [email protected] with @xyz.com or @xyz.org I can't seem to find the right combination of wildcards and other settings in Word 2013. Either nothing gets replaced, or I thousands of replacements for the form "@" (without the quotes.) Is there some set of replacements that will work or is there a better tool for this purpose?

:)

2. Try3 Win User

Qualified Path Wildcard?

For the purpose of what you were trying to achieve in your OP, what I posted achieves that purpose.

As for asking more generally about the use of asterisks in paths, might I suggest that you try to write down unambiguously what you meant by that asterisk in "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform\*\MpCmdRun.exe" -SignatureUpdate"
    - I think you won't be able to do so.
    - You might, however, be able to experiment with DIR "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform\*" commands as a step towards a solution and that, in essence, is all I've done in my code.

Denis

3. asus2016 Win User
    Word replacing curly quotes with straight ones not working

This is for Windows version 1909, and Word version 2002.

My wife runs, as far as I can tell, the same build of Word as I do - 1257.20242.

But the pretty basic Word process to replace curly quotes with smart ones isn't working on her machine and copy of office.

That process would of course be:

• File > options > proofing > autocorrect
    • Uncheck the straight quotes/smart quotes box
    • Click okay on the bottom
    • Pick replace from the right side of the ribbon
    • Enter " in both the find and replace boxes, then pick "replace all"
    • Repeat, but with ' in the find and replace boxes
    • All your smart quotes will now be straight quotes

Doing the above, the "replace" step comes back with nonzero number of replacements made (ten for example). But the quotes will still be curly ones, when she wants straight.

If she sends me a docx file she's having this problem on, I can easily fix it (straighten the quotes) on my machine/Word. But it won't work on hers.

I even tried replacing the quotes with a nonsense string (\\\\) and those changes stuck. As did replacing \\\\ back with quotes. But they were curly, not straight.

Other things tried, that didn't work:

• Signing out and then back into Word with her Microsoft account
    • Quitting all instances of Word and then picking the documents up again
    • Toggle the smart/curly box, make the replacements, toggle box again, make replacements

This can't be that hard. What am I missing?

- - - Updated - - -

Other interesting update.

I opened a file she emailed me, that had curly quotes on her machine. And it had straight quotes on mine. And I then changed the straights to curlies on mine, and they stuck, and back to straight and they stuck.

How can her document have the right kind of quotes on my machine, but wrong on hers?

asus2016, Jun 11, 2021
  4. Find and Replace, Word, with wildcards?

How to add new words to the built in dictionary in Omnia 7

You can't add them directly, but there is a way within spell check. If you have several you know you want to enter, open a word doc, and type your company name in with a space behind it.Tap the name and it will have a squiggly underline. At the bottom where
    the suggestions are, the first one will be your company name with a little plus in front of it. Tap that and it will be added to the dictionary.

If your company name is close enough to something that WP automatically 'fixes' it for you when you hit space, (the first item in the suggestion list is bold), don't worry, tap the replaced word, and again the first word in the suggestion list will be what
    you typed originally, with a plus in front. Again hitting the word/plus will add the word.

That is a good hint for anytime WP replaces a word for you didn't want replaced. Just tap what it put in and your word will be first in the list of suggestions.

Be careful, as I know how to get things into the list...I haven't a clue how you would get a mistake out Find and Replace, Word, with wildcards? ;)

Sven Johannsen, Jun 11, 2021
Thema:

Find and Replace, Word, with wildcards?

1. Find and Replace, Word, with wildcards? - Similar Threads - Find Replace Word

2. Adding replacement word to custom.dic/acl/exc NOT IN WORD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Adding replacement word to custom.dic/acl/exc NOT IN WORD: Hi,I'm trying to add a replacement word for "tge" to "the" by adding it to the custom dictionary, and almost every google search returns pages giving me instructions for MS Word. I'm referring to spelling in rich text format textboxes.I did manage to find the custom...
  3. Adding replacement word to custom.dic/acl/exc NOT IN WORD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Adding replacement word to custom.dic/acl/exc NOT IN WORD: Hi,I'm trying to add a replacement word for "tge" to "the" by adding it to the custom dictionary, and almost every google search returns pages giving me instructions for MS Word. I'm referring to spelling in rich text format textboxes.I did manage to find the custom...
  4. Adding replacement word to custom.dic/acl/exc NOT IN WORD

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Is there a way to automate find/replace in MS Word?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to automate find/replace in MS Word?: I know there is macros and other shortcuts, so I was wondering if there is a way to do something like this, or to its effect. I have a document "my_document_XXXX" and the phrase 'XXXX' appears in multiple places in the document. So I was wondering if there is a way where if...
  6. Wildcard for website blocking?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Wildcard for website blocking?: I am trying to block a gaming website using the Microsoft Family Safety "Web Browsing" feature, but it doesn't seem to be accepting a wildcard so that I can block all subdomains of the website, of which there are many. If I enter a specific subdomain it works fine, but...
  7. Qualified Path Wildcard?

in Windows 10 Support
    Qualified Path Wildcard?: Microsoft Windows Version 10.0.18363.836 1909 Pro Administrator: Admin cmd C:\>"C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform\4.18.2005.5-0\MpCmdRun.exe" -SignatureUpdate Signature update started . . . Signature update finished. C:\>"C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows...
  8. Wildcard Selection in Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wildcard Selection in Explorer: Is there an app or program that allows wildcard selection of items in explorer before a copy/cut/ action? Right click or menu bar or both. Alternatively, does anyone recommend a good shell extension coder that can help? I found code for a context menu wild card selection...
  9. microsoft word replacement

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    microsoft word replacement: Microsoft word deleted when Windows 10 reinstalled. How do I replace? do not need Office. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-word-replacement/f32b997c-4a11-4636-aaa5-71f31ca07644
  10. matching wildcards in dir

in Windows 10 Support
    matching wildcards in dir: In a folder I have several files starting with test, like test00, test0000, test1.txt, test1111, test 01.txt If I do a dir test0* I expect to get all files which match test0* like test00 and test0000 but I also get test 01.txt and I'm not sure why. I mean "test 01.txt"...