Windows 10: Find Files With Different File Names But Same Content

Discus and support Find Files With Different File Names But Same Content in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi. In Windows 10, is it possible to find documents with the same content but different filenames? 121161 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ajay123, Nov 7, 2018.

1. ajay123 Win User

Find Files With Different File Names But Same Content

Hi. In Windows 10, is it possible to find documents with the same content but different filenames?

:)

ajay123, Nov 7, 2018
  2. slozomby Win User

Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Nov 7, 2018
  3. Kreij Win User
    Identical File Finder

@Ford
    I don't think that step #3 is even needed. The probabiliy of two MD5 hashes from differing files colliding is what, 2^-128 ?
    Even if your were hashing a million files the odds of a hash collision on differing files is astronomically small.

Kreij, Nov 7, 2018
  4. red268 Win User

Gathering Names Of Multiple Files

Is it possible to get the names of multiple files and paste them in to Notepad or Word or something?

Not sure how clear that is - I've got a folder with lots and lots of films from holidays etc. I've spent ages renaming them all to something meaningful (Other than Mov0001, Mov0002 etc etc)
    Unfortunatly, at the time, I didn't think to copy and paste the names in to a file as I did each one. But now people want to know what things I've got - so I want a list of all the names without having to type each one out seperately.

Any ideas?

Thanks

red268, Nov 7, 2018
Thema:

1. Find Files With Different File Names But Same Content - Similar Threads - Find Files Different

2. Editing an existing Project MP4 File to reduce the content and change the name of the Project

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Editing an existing Project MP4 File to reduce the content and change the name of the Project: How can I Edit an existing Project MP4 File in Photos to reduce the content and change the Title of the Project https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/editing-an-existing-project-mp4-file-to-reduce-the/0bd107ad-0212-45c1-9c28-6adeb0934984"
  3. Using different fonts in file name

in Windows 10 Customization
    Using different fonts in file name: Can I do what the picture below describes : Is there a utility that helps me do this? John 67943
  4. Name in File Explorer

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Name in File Explorer: Since doing a clean install, my name in File Explorer/Users has changed. It is neither my first nor second name, just the first 5 letters/numbers of my Microsoft login name. It used to show my surname in Windows 7. Is is it possible to change it, please? 24628
  5. How do I check if there is different text on notepad files same name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I check if there is different text on notepad files same name: Hey guys, Anybody know any notepad application where I can check what is changed on same notepad files with same name but different sizes. Regards. 106726
  6. Multiple files with same name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Multiple files with same name: Here's one that is a total mystery to me: The last couple of days I have been working on a file made with MS Word. It was a letter that I have been working of for a couple of days. I edited and changed the file several times and put it in two different folders. I wasn't sure...
  7. File Explorer rename files with the same name when copying

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer rename files with the same name when copying: Quite frankly I'm surprised no one has brought this up (or I am using the wrong search terms). When copying files in explorer, Windows 7 (I can't remember anything older than that LOL) I am asked what I want to do with copying files that have the same name as existing files...
  8. Able to find directory with 8dot3 naming convention but not files

in Windows 10 Support
    Able to find directory with 8dot3 naming convention but not files: I have a very strange problem - I have a script that's been running for years on other windows, using the 8dot3 convention. Both the directory and the file name have ~ in them. It finds the directory ok, but can't find the file, even though it exists. I've checked, and 8dot3...
  9. Quick Find By Typing First Few Letters Of File Name?

in Windows 10 Support
    Quick Find By Typing First Few Letters Of File Name?: i REALLY miss, and don't know why i can't do it with Windows 10, typing the first few letters of a file name and having it automatically highlighted!!! i tried googling this, but i can't find it. i would be surprised if no one else has talked about this though so many be i...
  10. Files names not displaying

in Windows 10 Support
    Files names not displaying: I am using Windows 10 and Office 2013 When I Open several workbooks at once and select the Excel Icon on the task bar, the workbooks appear as Excel, but displays no names. When I click any of the workbooks showing as Excel only , the name will then display for the...