Windows 10: Find Files With Different File Names But Same Content

Discus and support Find Files With Different File Names But Same Content in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi. In Windows 10, is it possible to find documents with the same content but different filenames? 121161 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ajay123, Nov 7, 2018.

1. ajay123 Win User

Find Files With Different File Names But Same Content

Hi. In Windows 10, is it possible to find documents with the same content but different filenames?

:)

ajay123, Nov 7, 2018
  2. slozomby Win User

Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Nov 7, 2018
  3. Kreij Win User
    Identical File Finder

@Ford
    I don't think that step #3 is even needed. The probabiliy of two MD5 hashes from differing files colliding is what, 2^-128 ?
    Even if your were hashing a million files the odds of a hash collision on differing files is astronomically small.

Kreij, Nov 7, 2018
  4. red268 Win User

Gathering Names Of Multiple Files

Is it possible to get the names of multiple files and paste them in to Notepad or Word or something?

Not sure how clear that is - I've got a folder with lots and lots of films from holidays etc. I've spent ages renaming them all to something meaningful (Other than Mov0001, Mov0002 etc etc)
    Unfortunatly, at the time, I didn't think to copy and paste the names in to a file as I did each one. But now people want to know what things I've got - so I want a list of all the names without having to type each one out seperately.

Any ideas?

Thanks

red268, Nov 7, 2018
Thema:

1. Find Files With Different File Names But Same Content - Similar Threads - Find Files Different

2. Keep files with the same name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keep files with the same name: I regularly have documents with the same name that I need to transfer to a folder and I want to select the option to not skip any files with the same name and just have them automatically renamed, rather than having to choose to keep both files each time....
  3. Keep files with the same name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keep files with the same name: I regularly have documents with the same name that I need to transfer to a folder and I want to select the option to not skip any files with the same name and just have them automatically renamed, rather than having to choose to keep both files each time....
  4. Is there a way to find all files that have the same name but are contained in different...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is there a way to find all files that have the same name but are contained in different...: The files in question are audio files that I've downloaded and put into separate folders, but some of these have identical names so, after relocating drives, my audio software can't distinguish between both. I need to emphasize that these files are not duplicates....
  5. Is there a way to find all files that have the same name but are contained in different...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way to find all files that have the same name but are contained in different...: The files in question are audio files that I've downloaded and put into separate folders, but some of these have identical names so, after relocating drives, my audio software can't distinguish between both. I need to emphasize that these files are not duplicates....
  6. Is there a way to find all files that have the same name but are contained in different...

7. 2 Files with the same name.

2 Files with the same name.: [ATTACH]So I am trying to replace some textures for an aircraft and I was able to replace the first file but the 2nd one I needed to replace has the exact same name as the first one. And when I try to paste the replacement for the 2nd file, it overwrites the first one....
  8. Searching for contents of file NAME not the contents of files?????

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Searching for contents of file NAME not the contents of files?????: I have maybe 500 files in a folder, one file for each model of our products. The thing about the model names is that the number of the model is at the end of the file name, like C19QZHW203 and the name of the next model number might be C19WRZT204, in other words, I cant sort...
  9. Two folders with exactly the same name, location but different contents and subfolders

Two folders with exactly the same name, location but different contents and subfolders: Hi, I don't know how this happened, but somehow I have two folders with the same name, same address/location but entirely different contents. [ATTACH] Because of this Windows completely bugs out when you try to move either of these folders. I can change the contents...
  10. Multiple files with same name

Multiple files with same name: Here's one that is a total mystery to me: The last couple of days I have been working on a file made with MS Word. It was a letter that I have been working of for a couple of days. I edited and changed the file several times and put it in two different folders. I wasn't sure...