Windows 10: Find Host names of all computers on LAN

Discus and support Find Host names of all computers on LAN in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi folks when file explorer doesn't show all computers on a Lan is there any script that I can use to find the HOSTNAMES / COMPUTER NAMES when I can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jimbo45, May 29, 2020.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Find Host names of all computers on LAN

Hi folks

when file explorer doesn't show all computers on a Lan is there any script that I can use to find the HOSTNAMES / COMPUTER NAMES when I can get their IP addresses

I can get the IP address easily enough (nmap / arp or similar) but from IP address any way to get the host names.

For example (I've shown in a GUI application since it's easier to display the problem than console output) :

There's 3 computers I'm interested in -- a Windows QEMU VM and the other 2 with Not available in the Manufacturers name in the list shown.

All on a LOCAL lan

Find Host names of all computers on LAN [​IMG]

The reason I want this is that with latest fast build rings file browsing via file explorer either only shows Windows machines or only the actual Windows host itself - no non Windows machines such as NAS servers are visible. Windows networking does this from time to time so it's better to have a reliable method not dependent on File explorer.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, May 29, 2020
  2. newtekie1 Win User

Good LAN party games?

Most of my suggestions have already been listed.

However, I found Swat4 to actually be a pretty fun LAN game, especially at smaller LAN parties.

newtekie1, May 29, 2020
  3. change windows 10 pc name

We appreciate you getting back to us. To change the cmd name, we suggest that you follow this steps:

• Open a Command Prompt (Adimin) window: Win+X, A, Alt+Y
    • Then run the following command to change your computer name to Donner: WMIC ComputerSystem where Name=COMPUTER-NAME call Rename Name=NewName
    • Reboot your PC.
    • Try to run ipconfig / all command, you should find that the Host Name in Windows IP Configuration list has been changed to the new name.

Keep us posted with the result.

Marilou Ser, May 29, 2020
  4. jimbo45 Win User

computers with same name on LAN problem

Hi there

If I have two computers on a LAN with the same name Windows can't see the rest of the network but only the individual computer you are logged on to.

All these machines connected via Ethernet cable (not wireless).

Windows 10 PRO x-64 latest standard build (not insider - not tested this "feature" on that yet).

Change the name then all computers are visible.

I'm sure this must be a defect -- there's no reason on a LAN with several computers people might have called their computers by the same name !!! (Note computer name not description).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 29, 2020
Thema:

1. Find Host names of all computers on LAN - Similar Threads - Find Host names

2. Find the Name of my Computer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Find the Name of my Computer: When I try to find my computer name as instructed, I get into Control Panel, but I cannot find System and Security > System. Where did Microsoft hide my computer name, and how can I find the computer name reliably USING ONLY THE KEYBOARD - NO MOUSE? I am totally blind, and I...
  3. Find the Name of my Computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Find the Name of my Computer: When I try to find my computer name as instructed, I get into Control Panel, but I cannot find System and Security > System. Where did Microsoft hide my computer name, and how can I find the computer name reliably USING ONLY THE KEYBOARD - NO MOUSE? I am totally blind, and I...
  4. Find the Name of my Computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Explorer-Network does not keep all computer names on LAN

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Explorer-Network does not keep all computer names on LAN: I have to re-enter them via the Address bar. Does anyone know why or how to make them stay there ? They used to and its just changed for some reason. TIA....
  6. Host name

Host name: Hi, sometimes PC users forgot to close a file, and I get error that file is on use. I use "networkopenedfiles-x64" but I find that some PC has an "host name", some other no. Where can I add this value to windows local properties? [ATTACH]...
  7. VM server trouble (server can't find the host name)

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VM server trouble (server can't find the host name): hello. i am trying to network two Virtual Box VM's and access a shared folder using \\hostname but it is not working. when i try to do this the windows network diagnostics tells me that windows can communicate with the name resolution server but can't find the host name....
  8. Home LAN unable to share with all computers

Home LAN unable to share with all computers: I have 3 computers running Windows 10 Pro and 1 computer running Windows 10Home. All 3 Pro computers can see each other and share files. All 3Pro computers can see the Windows 10 Home computer but cannot see any of theHome computer's shared folders or files. The Home computer...
  9. computers with same name on LAN problem

computers with same name on LAN problem: Hi there If I have two computers on a LAN with the same name Windows can't see the rest of the network but only the individual computer you are logged on to. All these machines connected via Ethernet cable (not wireless). Windows 10 PRO x-64 latest standard build (not...
  10. 1803 disable finding computers by name?

1803 disable finding computers by name?: Tried several fixes online, but still same. Can use ip address to find them. 109558