Windows 10: Find My Device locates my laptop 2 states away

Discus and support Find My Device locates my laptop 2 states away in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have tried the "Find My Device" function for my laptop. The map shows it to be 2 states away !! Originally it was located about 4 blocks away. I... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by NancyMi, Feb 16, 2020.

1. NancyMi Win User

Find My Device locates my laptop 2 states away

I have tried the "Find My Device" function for my laptop. The map shows it to be 2 states away !! Originally it was located about 4 blocks away. I cleared the location info, and now it is located in Baltimore MD, which is not where my laptop is located!!

How can I improve the accuracy of this function?

Thank you

:)

NancyMi, Feb 16, 2020
  2. Kem Mon Win User

Unable to turn on the Location from the Location Settings.

Hi Rafiul,

It is possible that the
    GPS chipset
    is not working properly causing your location settings to be
    disabled or cannot be turned on. Kindly run the
    Hardware and Device Troubleshooter
    and check if there's any changes. To run the
    troubleshooter, follow these steps:

• On the search bar, type
      Troubleshooting
      and hit
      Enter.

• Choose
      Hardware and Sound.

• Click on the
      Hardware and Devices
      to run the
      Troubleshooter.

If the issue
    persists, we suggest that you contact your
    computer/laptop's manufacturer
    for further assistance.

Update us on how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Feb 16, 2020
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    Again, Location is not correct on the maps, Showing me in another state!

Hi Wael,

Wrong region settings or corruption may be the possible reason why a location was not correct or showing a different state. To assist you better, we'd like to gather more information:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • Are you getting any error messages when you tried to change it to the default location?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far aside from making sure that region settings was correct?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you follow the steps in this
    article
    to troubleshoot Cortana. You may expand each section and try performing the instructions that you have not yet done.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Feb 16, 2020
  4. Find My Device locates my laptop 2 states away

Location service is greyed out

Hi Shahriar,

Thank you for responding.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused for you, I suggest you to try the below troubleshooting steps and check If it helps.

Step 1: Steps to turn on the Location settings.

• Login as an administrator.
    • Press Windows key, type Location settings and select
      Change location settings.
    • Check whether Location for this device is On by clicking on
      Change
    • Also turn on Location as well.

Step 2: And as you are unable to set the service Geolocation service to automatic, I suggest you to run SFC scan and check.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Follow the below steps:

• Right click on the Start button, click on
      Command Prompt (Admin).

• Type “sfc /scannow” without the quotes and hit
      Enter.

• After the scan, restart the computer and check for the issue.

Try to set the service to automatic by following the steps provided in the above post by Praveen Venugopal.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of the issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Feb 16, 2020
Thema:

Find My Device locates my laptop 2 states away

1. Find My Device locates my laptop 2 states away - Similar Threads - Find Device locates

2. Location is disabled on Find My Device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Location is disabled on Find My Device: I have the Find My Device feature turned on yet it says location disabled. How do i fix this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/location-is-disabled-on-find-my-device/dd8d5e53-bf26-48ab-81d4-55b1d2b94c4c
  3. Location is disabled on Find My Device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Location is disabled on Find My Device: I have the Find My Device feature turned on yet it says location disabled. How do i fix this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/location-is-disabled-on-find-my-device/dd8d5e53-bf26-48ab-81d4-55b1d2b94c4c
  4. Microsoft find my device location is wrongly showing 208 Kilometer away from the correct...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft find my device location is wrongly showing 208 Kilometer away from the correct...: Hi I was using my laptop at my hometown and happen to check the location of the my laptop in Microsoft find my device feature https://account.microsoft.com/devices/find-my-device and noticed my device is showing 208 Km away from the actual location. Please suggest how to fix...
  5. Microsoft find my device location is wrongly showing 208 Kilometer away from the correct...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft find my device location is wrongly showing 208 Kilometer away from the correct...: Hi I was using my laptop at my hometown and happen to check the location of the my laptop in Microsoft find my device feature https://account.microsoft.com/devices/find-my-device and noticed my device is showing 208 Km away from the actual location. Please suggest how to fix...
  6. Microsoft find my device location is wrongly showing 208 Kilometer away from the correct...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. How should Find My Device Work with MS Surface Laptop 3 Location/Find My Device settings...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How should Find My Device Work with MS Surface Laptop 3 Location/Find My Device settings...: Gave up with the support lines after 6 hours. Should the Find My Device function work from wifi? Is there a chip in the laptop? the latter is what the support center claimed on the phone, but that it needs to be replaced.......why if on the same device all location/find my...
  8. Find My Device map showswrong location

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Find My Device map showswrong location: I am sitting at my laptop in Utah, and the “find my device”map shows that my laptop is in California, where I happened to be two weeksago. What can I do to make this feature accurate? I’d like to really be able tofind my laptop if I ever need to.Thanks for any help....
  9. Find my device can't locate my laptop

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Find my device can't locate my laptop: I'm just testing the "Find my device" on MS webpage. My device is turned on, connected to the internet and location services have been enabled, but I'm still getting an error "We can’t locate your device at the moment. Please try again later." How can i get find my device to...
  10. Find My Device location is wrong

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Find My Device location is wrong: I tested out "Find My Device" on my HP Laptop Windows 10. The location it shows is not where the laptop is located -- it is off by quite a bit. I checked that "Location" is on, and that "Maps" can access location. Is there anything else that I can do? Thanks....