Windows 10: Find out if your PC supports TPM 2.0

Discus and support Find out if your PC supports TPM 2.0 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; One of the pre-requisites for Windows 11 is TPM 2.0, the Trusted Platform Module according to Microsoft. While Windows 11 will install on devices with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Sep 12, 2021.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Find out if your PC supports TPM 2.0

One of the pre-requisites for Windows 11 is TPM 2.0, the Trusted Platform Module according to Microsoft. While Windows 11 will install on devices with TPM 1.2, some functionality may not be available in this case.

In 2016, we published a guide on finding out of a Windows computer supports TPM. Microsoft revealed at the time that all new PCs would need to support TPM 2.0 and have it enabled. Existing devices were not affected by the decision back then.

Now, with Windows 11 comes another push to enforcing TPM 2.0 on Windows devices. Microsoft claims that most devices sold in the past 5 years support TPM 2.0, and reiterates that TPM 2.0 is required because it is powering security features such as Bitlocker or Windows Hello.

Microsoft acknowledges that TPM 2.0 may not be enabled on devices even if the feature is supported. Windows 11 may not install on these devices, even if all other system requirements are met.

The company published a guide that explains how to find out if TPM is enabled, and how to enable it on devices if it is supported.

Windows users who run Windows 10, the only version of Windows with a direct upgrade path to Windows 11, may check TPM support in the following two ways:

Find out if your PC supports TPM 2.0 windows-10-device-security-tpm.png

1. Open the Settings application, for instance by selecting Start > Settings, or with the keyboard shortcut Windows-I.
    2. Go to Update & Security > Windows Security > Device Security.
      1. TPM is not available if Security Processor is not displayed on the page that opens.
      2. TPM is available if Security Processor is displayed. In that case, select Security Processor to verify the specification version and find out if it is TPM 1.2 or TPM 2.0.

The second method uses the Microsoft Management Console:

Find out if your PC supports TPM 2.0 check-tpm-2.0-support-windows.png

1. Use Windows-R to open the run box.
    2. Type tpm.msc.
    3. The window that opens reveals if TPM is supported or not, including the version if it is supported.

TPM can still be supported by the device, even if Windows can't find a TPM module. TPM can be disabled or enabled in the BIOS of the device, and if it is disabled, Windows won't be able to discover it or make use of it.

Microsoft suggests that users go to Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > Restart now to check the UEFI Bios. The restart option displays a menu on the next restart. Visit Troubleshoot > Advanced options > UEFI Firmware Settings > Restart to have the device load the UEFI settings on the next restart.

The next steps depend on the make and model of the motherboard. Sometimes, settings may be found under Advanced, Security or Trusted Computing. The option to enable TPM is equally unstandardized, as it may be labeled Security Device, Security Device Support, TPM State, AMD fTPM switch, AMD PSP fTPM, Intel PTT, or Intel Platform Trust Technology.

Closing Words

Not all Windows devices are compatible with Windows 11, Microsoft's upcoming operating system. Some, because they don't meet the system requirements, others, because of a disabled feature in the BIOS. The implementation of TPM in the BIOS is chaotic and not standardized. Users with little experience will have a hard time finding out of TPM is supported and whether it can be enabled in the system's BIOS.

Now You: do your devices support TPM?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Find out if your PC supports TPM 2.0 appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Sep 12, 2021
  2. Bree Win User

TPM support

The TPM 2.0 specifications can be implemented by a hardware chip, in which case it will be listed in the bios as 'TPM'. Newer processors can also support a firmware implementation of TPM 2.0. This is where it gets confusing as that may be listed in the bios as fTPM or PTT. All implementations of TPM 2.0, hardware or firmware, will meet the W11 requirements.

TPM 2.0 for Windows 11 - What about Intel PTT and AMD fTPM?

3. idgat Win User
    TPM support

I couldn't find "TPM" or "Trusted Platform Module" listed in any BIOS setting on 2 of my laptops. Got the mobo ID from system specs and did a bit of searching ... ah, there it is, not actually called that exactly, but same thing, and was disabled. Enabled ... booted up, ran tpm.msc. Bingo! Alive and well.

Your search engine will be your friend (one of mine even had a YouTube step-by-step how to access the BIOS, what to look for, etc).

idgat, Sep 12, 2021
  4. I3V
    i3v Win User

TPM Console Error 0x8007007A

PS.

1. I've also just tried to uninstall the TPM device, like suggested
      here.
    2. I've also just tried

Code:
    $tpm = gwmi -n root\cimv2\security\microsofttpm win32_tpm$tpm.SetPhysicalPresenceRequest(6)
    as suggested
    here
    and
    here

Nothing changed.

Here's some additional info, just-in-case:

Code:
    PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> gwmi -n root\cimv2\security\microsofttpm win32_tpm__GENUS                     : 2__CLASS                     : Win32_Tpm__SUPERCLASS                :__DYNASTY                   : Win32_Tpm__RELPATH                   : Win32_Tpm=@__PROPERTY_COUNT            : 10__DERIVATION                : {}__SERVER                    : MY-PC-NAME__NAMESPACE                 : root\cimv2\security\microsofttpm__PATH                      : \\MY-PC-NAME\root\cimv2\security\microsofttpm:Win32_Tpm=@IsActivated_InitialValue    : TrueIsEnabled_InitialValue      : TrueIsOwned_InitialValue        : TrueManufacturerId              : 1112687437ManufacturerIdTxt           : BRCMManufacturerVersion         : 7.11ManufacturerVersionFull20   : Not SupportedManufacturerVersionInfo     :PhysicalPresenceVersionInfo : 1.0SpecVersion                 : 1.2, 2, 1PSComputerName              : MY-PC-NAMEPS C:\WINDOWS\system32> get-tpmTpmPresent                : TrueTpmReady                  : TrueManufacturerId            : 1112687437ManufacturerIdTxt         : BRCMManufacturerVersion       : 7.11ManufacturerVersionFull20 : Not Supported for TPM 1.2ManagedAuthLevel          : FullOwnerAuth                 :OwnerClearDisabled        : FalseAutoProvisioning          : EnabledLockedOut                 : FalseLockoutHealTime           : Not Supported for TPM 1.2LockoutCount              : Not Supported for TPM 1.2LockoutMax                : Not Supported for TPM 1.2SelfTest                  : {128, 159, 126, 96}

Thema:

1. Find out if your PC supports TPM 2.0 - Similar Threads - Find supports TPM

2. How to find out if your Windows PC supports DirectStorage

in Windows 10 News
    How to find out if your Windows PC supports DirectStorage: DirectStorage is a relatively new technology to improve game loading times on supported devices. Microsoft's Windows 11 operating system supports DirectStorage, and support has also been added to Windows 10. Microsoft has pushed out several versions of the DirectStorage API...
  3. Find out for how long your Windows 11 version is supported

in Windows 10 News
    Find out for how long your Windows 11 version is supported: Microsoft released the first feature update for its Windows 11 operating system on September 20, 2022. It includes improvements and new features, and while it may be tempting for some to upgrade right away, it is usually better to wait some time before hitting the upgrade...
  4. TPM 2

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    TPM 2: One of my drives was disconnected when I upgraded to TPM 2 and when I reconnected it it wasn't visible.The BIOS struggled with something as it took the PC around 5 minutes to boot.Could TPM 2 have anything to do with it?...
  5. TPM 2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    TPM 2: One of my drives was disconnected when I upgraded to TPM 2 and when I reconnected it it wasn't visible.The BIOS struggled with something as it took the PC around 5 minutes to boot.Could TPM 2 have anything to do with it?...
  6. TPM 2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. to support tpm

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    to support tpm: tpm is not supported https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/to-support-tpm/21808c2b-cdf0-464d-920f-ef884565ce35
  8. Windows 11 TPM 2 Supports

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 11 TPM 2 Supports: Hello it's support tpm 2.0 on h81m-dgs on your motherboard ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-tpm-2-supports/29b64571-8963-4a2c-a5dd-410278808670
  9. Find out if your PC is compatible with Windows 11

in Windows 10 News
    Find out if your PC is compatible with Windows 11: Microsoft unveiled Windows 11 officially today and plans to release early access builds of the operating system next week. The company revealed several new and already known features during today's presentation, including support for Android apps, performance improvements...
  10. What is Modern Standby? Find out if your Windows PC supports it

in Windows 10 News
    What is Modern Standby? Find out if your Windows PC supports it: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Microsoft introduced Connected Standby power mode in Windows 10/8. It allows devices to go instant on or off and run background processes in extremely lower power mode. It also allows the computer to receive emails when the display turns off, [...] This post...