Windows 10: Find out License type.

Discus and support Find out License type. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi guys, I just bought a new computer on craigslist and I would like to know what kind of Windows license has installed. I know there are different... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by ErnestDennis, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Find out License type.

Hi guys, I just bought a new computer on craigslist and I would like to know what kind of Windows license has installed.

I know there are different kinds like OEM or retail, I would like to know which one it has.

Thanks.

:)

ErnestDennis, Dec 20, 2018
  2. Naresh_K Win User

Transfer Windows 10 license to another computer.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Please note that one license key is valid only for one hardware. However you can try the steps mentioned below to check if that helps. Make sure that you have the 25-alpha numeric product key (Retail version). Here are some steps that you can follow:

Step 1: Uninstall the key from your Mac (Bootcamp). To uninstall the license key, follow the steps mentioned bellow:

1. Open command prompt (search CMD on start menu) and run it as administrator.
    2. Then type: slmgr /upk
    3. The following command will uninstall the product key from your Bootcamp partition.

Step 2: Install the product key on new Computer.

1. Open Run (Windows Key + R) and then type: SLUI 3
    2. You will be prompted to enter the product key.
    3. Please type the product key and try to activate it.

Step 3: If step 2 does not work, then you will need to install the product key manually and perform phone activation.

1. Open Command prompt once again and run it administrator.
    2. Then type: slmgr /ipk XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

Note: replace XXXXX with the product key.
    3. Once you receive a confirmation prompt that the product key has been installed.
    4. Close the Command prompt Window.
    5. Now open Run (Windows Key + R) and type SLUI 4.
    6. Then choose your country and click on Next and follow the on screen instructions.

Hope this helps.

Naresh_K, Dec 20, 2018
  3. Cortana search box - type request

Hi Richard,

To better assist you, please clarify the following:

• What steps have you taken so far?
    • did you receive and error message?

I would suggest you to run System File Checker. its a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restored corrupted files. Follow the steps below:

• Press Win + R on the keyboard
    • Type CMD the hit OK
    • Type: sfc/scannow at the Command Prompt.

Let us know how it goes.

Renaldo cru, Dec 20, 2018
  4. WhyMe Win User

Find out License type.

I can't activate my Windows 10

@Devilz

• Did you run Showkey as suggested by alphanumeric in post #23?
    • Have you entered the Win8 product key as identified by Showkey?
    • What type of Win8 license has Showkey identified?
    • When you downloaded the Win8 installation media from Microsoft was it for the exact same type of license as identified by Showkey?

WhyMe, Dec 20, 2018
Thema:

Find out License type.

1. Find out License type. - Similar Threads - Find License type

2. How to find out the linked account for a licensed Windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to find out the linked account for a licensed Windows 10: Dear all,I have a Windows activation key and its ID, I have used it to activate Windows 10 Pro on an old PC. I don't have access to it anymore and I haven't remove the activated key. I can't remember if it was linked to a Microsoft account, so I can not use the key on my new...
  3. How to find out the linked account for a licensed Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to find out the linked account for a licensed Windows 10: Dear all,I have a Windows activation key and its ID, I have used it to activate Windows 10 Pro on an old PC. I don't have access to it anymore and I haven't remove the activated key. I can't remember if it was linked to a Microsoft account, so I can not use the key on my new...
  4. How to find out the linked account for a licensed Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to find out if I have a digital windows 10 license

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to find out if I have a digital windows 10 license: One is a preloaded new Samsung laptop and the other is a PC that I bought the software a while back and the hard drive crashed and had outdated windows 7 but a windows tech had me download a new install that I burned to a cd but does not work anymore this was a couple years...
  6. Finding Digital License

Finding Digital License: I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7. My computer crashed and Windows 10 was corrupted beyond repair. The computer repairman installed a new version of Windows 10. How do I recover my old original Digital License?...
  7. Changing Windows license type

Changing Windows license type: I bought a pc years ago and upgraded it from Windows 8.1 to 10. It is authentically licensed and works without any problem. Recently I feel the need of to do hardware upgrade or even to change to a better computer. But only now I found out the Microsoft Windows license that...
  8. Windows 10 licenses types

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 licenses types: Hey guys, so i have recently bought a laptop that is going to come without windows installed. Looking at getting myself a windows pro license saw that there are many types and was looking for some light on the matter. I saw that there is ESD, OEM ,Retail, Volume and KMS....
  9. Windows 10 license Type

Windows 10 license Type: Dear Microsoft, Since we are not clear yet regarding to windows 10 license type, May u details how many kind of windows 10 license that Microsoft have provide and specification condition of those. another thing if we are going to deploy windows 10 license for 200 users in...
  10. Clear Type Hard to Find?

in Windows 10 Support
    Clear Type Hard to Find?: MS seem to want to bury Clear Type in the latest version. It's there if you search for it or run cttune.exe. However, I don't see Clear Type mentioned under Settings or the Control Panel. How are inexperienced users expected to know about Clear Type settings? 100089