Windows 10: Find Out who reset HOSTS file ?

Discus and support Find Out who reset HOSTS file ? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi I have a custom hosts file which has a lot of entries redirecting back to 127.0.0.1 (this is normal) One of my DNS servers is being updated, so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TomT, Nov 29, 2015.

1. TomT Win User

Find Out who reset HOSTS file ?

Hi

I have a custom hosts file which has a lot of entries redirecting back to 127.0.0.1 (this is normal)
    One of my DNS servers is being updated, so I added a new entry to the hosts so I could get to my sites.
    This worked fine.

After about 30 minutes I noticed I'd lost access to my site and when I checked my hosts file it's reverted back to how it was first thing this morning. All of my custom entries are there apart from the one for my server.

So something is monitoring and resetting it.. I've ZoneAlarm firewall and anti virus, avast anti virus and super anti spyware installed. I'm assuming it's one of them, but I'd like to be sure.

Is there any way to monitor the hosts file and see who/what is changing it ?

Thanks

:)

2. SOLVED: Can't Access Facebook

It turns out I have, in some way or another, modified the hosts file before I upgraded to Windows 10 and listed Facebook there. I have already removed it from the hosts file (which could be initially hard to find as it is hidden by default in Win 10) and
    solved this issue.

Thanks to all who responded.

KG_0DCCXXIX, Nov 29, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Windows Script Host Can not find script file

Check this out:

google chrome - What is causing "Can not find script file 2.0.1.9/madi.txt" in Windows Script Host - Super User :

http://superuser.com/questions/978655/what-is-causing-can-not-find-script-file-2-0-1-9-madi-txt-in-windows-script-ho

And you can use Process Explorer to find out which program caused the errr:

How to Determine the Program or Process that Owns an Error Message Window? - The Winhelponline Blog :

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/determine-program-process-owns-error-message-window/

Also see:

Windows Script Host: Can not find script file ? - Forums - CNET : Windows Script Host: Can not find script file ? - Forums

It could be a malware.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Nov 29, 2015
  4. xamrab1 Win User

Hi,

I had a similar experience. Same platform. I had a hosts file in which I had added a domain name. Worked for months and then one day there was no connectivity to the site. Worked out the 'hosts' file had reverted back to the default. I changed the 'hosts' file and all was well. The next day the same problem. This time I couldn't change the 'hosts' file. I tried changing a copy on the desktop and pasting it into the directory but the change would not take. In the end, I changed the desktop copy permission to read only and then copied across and this worked. Not sure why or what happened.

xamrab1, Jan 10, 2016
  5. bro67 Win User
    First off you do not need three programs doing the same thing. Second off, dump Zone Alarm. I would bet that Zone Alarm is your culprit. Behind a standard router with NAT, you are fine. You only need a Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware, which the one built into Windows does just fine.

All that the majority of security software do, is give you this warm fuzzy feeling when you are throwing money out to the companies that make them. They are no better from protecting a user from bad habits, as it is when you get behind the wheel of your car and know in the back of your head, that at any time someone may crash into you, but you do not know when.

I fun no Firewalls on any of my machines within my network, because there is no need for it. My router works very well in protecting from any attacks that may hit the main gateway or the Edge Router that I have my network devices connected to.

bro67, Jan 10, 2016
  6. sml156 Win User
    The purpose of a firewall is to not only block incoming but also outgoing connections for programs that you allow or disallow.

I don't use Zone alarm but there should be a setting that allows you to edit the hosts file and if not there it will be in your antivirus software.

I use Hostsman to edit my Hosts file .

On a related note if you use hosts file to redirect traffic you should disable DNS Client in services .msc

Find Out who reset HOSTS file ? [​IMG]

sml156, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Find Out who reset HOSTS file ? - Similar Threads - Find reset HOSTS

2. Windows Script Host - Can not find script file...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Script Host - Can not find script file...: Good Day,Can someone help me please. Everytime I turn on my PC after I log in there is always this prompt message that will show Windows Script Host - Can not find script file "C:\User\Victus\AppData\Roaming\fomcd\hcpdulj.js".Thanks in advance...
  3. Reset Host file to default?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Reset Host file to default?: So i found this artical of how to reset the host to default so the file is nolonger empty on notepad, but i dont entirely comprehend it could someone please help me?our internet provider is comcast...
  4. Reset Host file to default?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reset Host file to default?: So i found this artical of how to reset the host to default so the file is nolonger empty on notepad, but i dont entirely comprehend it could someone please help me?our internet provider is comcast...
  5. Reset Host file to default?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. find out who stole my product Key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    find out who stole my product Key: in school someone stole my windows 10 key with a powershell script. it was on my desktop as i was home. it contained that command : Get-WmiObject -query 'select * from SoftwareLicensingService‘.OA3xOriginalProductKey. windows showed me a message where it said that someone...
  7. how to find out who is accessing my computer remotely

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to find out who is accessing my computer remotely: I think I'm being watched! How do I find out if someone is accessing my computer remotely? Please send me a link to a video that I can follow to check my computer out?!! Thank you for you assistance! BrinKingdom...
  8. Reset Hosts file back to default in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Reset Hosts file back to default in Windows: How to: Reset Hosts file back to default in Windows How to reset Hosts file back to default in Windows The Hosts file is used by the operating system to map human-friendly hostnames to numerical Internet Protocol (IP) addresses which identify and locate a host in an IP...
  9. Is it possible to find who the original creator of a file or folder?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is it possible to find who the original creator of a file or folder?: I am trying to see who the original creator of a file or folder in Windows 10, or in general Windows OS. Is this possible if the files were copied from another device or computer? I know I can change ownership of a file (or folder), but after it's copied to another device is...
  10. Microsoft's 2015 reorg: Who's in, who's out

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft's 2015 reorg: Who's in, who's out: Microsoft's fiscal 2015 is winding down, which means, as usual, it's time for another company reorg. CEO Satya Nadella notified company employees of the newest tweaks to the corporate structure via a June 17 memo (which Microsoft has posted on its Web site). A number of...