Windows 10: Find Printer network name

Discus and support Find Printer network name in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I am trying to find the network name of my printer to put in a Printer Queue shortcut I have tried these with no success.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Frank C, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Frank C Win User

Find Printer network name

Hi,
    I am trying to find the network name of my printer to put in a Printer Queue shortcut
    I have tried these with no success.
    C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /o /n HP6CC21747B66E
    C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /o /n HP-Print-AF-Officejet Pro 251dw
    C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /o /n HP47B66E
    I can't find a good suggestion on how to find the printer network name for Windows 10.
    Suggestions?
    Thanks

:)

Frank C, Jul 28, 2016
  2. Tpre Win User

Active Directory Domain Services is currently unavailable

I'm running Windows 10 on a Surface Pro 3 and I'm trying to find a printer using a feature that I've used before in Windows 8 and prior called "Find a printer in the directory, based on location or feature". When I go in to "Add a printer or scanner, the
    only options I see are:

• My printer is a little older. Help me find it.
    • Select a shared printer by name
    • Add a printer using TCP/IP address or hostname
    • Add a Bluetooth, wireless or network discoverable printer
    • Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings
    None of these options let me find a printer by name in my company directory. See screen shot below of the error I get when I try to add a printer from Word 2013.

I need to print...PLEASE HELP!

Find Printer network name [​IMG]

3. How do I connect to a wireless printer while using wired Ethernet.

Connect Your Printer your Computer-

1. Turn on Your printer's wifi and connect to your router.

2. Go to Network and sharing (click on ethernet icon on taskbar).

3. Find the printer name and set as dafault printer.

BHAWANI SHANKAR 01, Jul 28, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

Is this a printer that is connected to your network with Ethernet or Wifi, or with a USB cord on that computer or another one? If it is a Network capable printer, it needs to be set with a Static IP. Then when you install the software for the printer, it will ask you how you wish to connect to it. It should appear in the setup and from there the software will install everything and then set it as the Default Printer if you are asked.

The way that you are wanting to do it, is not the proper way and you are trying to reinvent the wheel.

bro67, Jul 29, 2016
  5. Frank C Win User
    I found Brink's tutorial on creating a printer Queue shortcut:
    Print Queue Shortcut - Create in Windows 7 and Windows 8

In my case the printer name is "HP Officejet Pro 251dw Printer PCL 6 (network)"
    It needs to be in quotes because of embedded blanks.

I did the create shortcut using the following in the target location :
    %WinDir%\System32\rundll32.exe printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /o /n "HP Officejet Pro 251dw Printer PCL 6 (network)"

I ran a test with no paper in the printer so it couldn't print.
    I executed the shortcut, the print job was in the queue. I canceled it
    And it worked!

Frank C, Jul 29, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    You really do not need a shortcut to the printer. Devices and Printers will allow you to choose default. Whatever program you are using and need to print to the printer, it will do so if the driver and printer software is installed.

bro67, Jul 30, 2016
  7. Frank C Win User
    bro67,
    The purpose of the printer queue shortcut is to delete printer jobs that were executed in error.
    thus possibly saving a lot of paper. Even if you halt the printer job it is still in the queue.
    Clicking on the print job in the queue gives the options to cancel restart or pause.
    I'll attach a screen shot of the printer queue
    Frank

Find Printer network name [​IMG]

Frank C, Jul 30, 2016
  8. bro67 Win User

You do not need a shortcut to clear out the Print Queue. It will clear itself when all print jobs are done. If not, you just have to go into Services and restart the service for the Print Queue. Using a Shortcut as you think is a work around, is not going to work with everyone, and really it is taking a step that you will never need to do.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Find Printer network name - Similar Threads - Find Printer network

2. We can’t find the Printer, Error 1801, The printer name is invalid

in Windows 10 News
    We can’t find the Printer, Error 1801, The printer name is invalid: [ATTACH]We have noticed that on some occasions, a Windows device fails to connect to the Printer’s network. When trying to connect to the network, Windows gives the following error message. We can’t find the printer you’re trying to install. Check to see if the printer was...
  3. Can't find network printer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't find network printer: Hi,I'm trying to add a network printer, but i'm having problems finding it.I'm connected to a wifi network configured as public. I have network discovery for public networks activated on advanced sharing settings, ans it's also allowed on firewall settings, but i can't find...
  4. Can't find network printer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't find network printer: Hi,I'm trying to add a network printer, but i'm having problems finding it.I'm connected to a wifi network configured as public. I have network discovery for public networks activated on advanced sharing settings, ans it's also allowed on firewall settings, but i can't find...
  5. Win 10 network printer default name setting

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win 10 network printer default name setting: According to everything I can find regarding this topic, Win 10 assigns a default name to a printer network printer based on make, model etc. when adding a new printer to the list of installed printers. Even if the network printer has a unique name set up via the web...
  6. Cannot find network printer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot find network printer: I just had to do a fresh install of Windows. I have a networked printer, HP LaserJet 1320n, that cannot be found even if I put in the its IP address. What is the best forum to post this? Thanks, Jeff Windows 10.0.18363 149634
  7. I need to find the ssid network name to install a printer

I need to find the ssid network name to install a printer: i am trying to install a printer and I need the SSID -I entered the network network name but it was not acceptd * Moved from Education/Win 10 * Original title: I need to find the ssid network name...
  8. Unable to find network printer

Unable to find network printer: Hi, I am using Win 10 version 1803 on my desktop . My desktop is connected via LAN with my dlink router. My printer epson l4160 is connect via wifi with the router . When I am going to Add a printer option , I can't find the printer . Add a bluetooth ,wireless or...
  9. Change network printer name in Windows 10

Change network printer name in Windows 10: In our company we have a network printer which has an ethernet connection and a web based interface for configuration. If I have installed drivers for this printer on two computers, A and B, and on the computer B I change the printer name via Control Panel -> Devices and...
  10. Printer Naming

Printer Naming: How do I change the names of the printers? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/printer-naming/06320b82-a0ca-4353-9e54-6e9c834760a3