Windows 10: Find Windows 7 Product Key after Windows 10 Upgrade

Discus and support Find Windows 7 Product Key after Windows 10 Upgrade in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; One of my customers donated an old tower to me. It had windows 7 on it, but was Upgraded to 10, and I think 10 Clobbered it so it would not run...but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by FunkMaster, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Find Windows 7 Product Key after Windows 10 Upgrade

One of my customers donated an old tower to me. It had windows 7 on it, but was Upgraded to 10, and I think 10 Clobbered it so it would not run...but cannot be sure. I fixed it and it is running pretty well with 10, but I might like to install Windows 7 on here also at some point. The problem is, he had someone copy files over to his new tower, and the old tower when I got it, had the Windows 7 Product Key Scratched off!, and, some of the screws were missing that hold the cover on it, not professional.

Anyhow, I would like to recover that Product Key but don't have a clue if it is even possible now that the expiration date is over to reinstall.
    1. I wonder if I can still recover from the Recovery Partition and if that will contain the Product Key?

2. I see what looks like a ProductKey in Speccy, but that could not be could it? I did not think Speccy would post that type of info? Maybe it is because I saved it as Text?

3. I may just keep windows 10 on here and Dual Boot it with Linux, just not sure yet. That way I won't have to complain about the Windows 7 ProductKey being scratched off, because I don't really know who and where this happened. Well...I know where it was serviced last, but still don't want to lay blame if I don't have to. His is an older gentleman so I'm quite sure he didn't do it himself.

I will run Produkey and see if that matches the one I saw in Speccy.

:)

FunkMaster, Jun 12, 2017

2. Got new motherboard... Now it ask to activate windows again.

The OEM SLP product key on systems preinstalled with Windows 7 cannot be used.

If its an OEM Preinstalled copy of Windows 8, then the product key is injected in the firmware, that you can use. Windows 7 systems must use the product key located on the COA sticker.

How to Find Your Product Key After Upgrading to Windows 10

Andre Da Costa, Jun 12, 2017
  3. Andre Da Costa, Jun 12, 2017
  4. SIW2 Win User

Find Windows 7 Product Key after Windows 10 Upgrade

Ther is a product key finder in a tutorial. Haven't looked at it for a while.

5. SIW2 Win User
  6. That worked like a charm SIW2! It's not every day things are that easy LOL.

I'm so surprised at how good this tool is, and I see you provided another one.

The crazy thing is, the Key that is on the pc is different from the one I see in the ShowKeyPlus, so someone must have used another key at some point, hope this is not a problem for me. Hope someone else is not using this Key? I only know because I can still see a few of the Key Letters on the pc Product Key Tag.

FunkMaster, Jun 12, 2017
  7. There was no Windows.old Folder so I wonder where it got that darn key from, the Recovery Partition? Produkey did not pick it up like this one did! Reviewing that other tool now.

FunkMaster, Jun 12, 2017
  8. SIW2 Win User

You will have to use pidcheck to find out exactly what the key is.

9. NavyLCDR New Member
    What type of product key did Showkey Plus say that it was? Most of the computers that came with Windows 7 had two product keys. One product key was OEM:SLP. SLP stands for System Locked Pre-installation. That was a product key that was included with the factory provided recovery software and would only work with the factory recovery media and that make/model of computer. You cannot manually enter that product to activate Windows so without the factory recovery media/image it is pretty much worthless. It verified itself with a code that was stored in BIOS and if everything matched, it would activate. I think a user called @Superfly here knows who to turn a standard Windows 7 image into an image that can use the OEM:SLP to activate with.

The key on the label is called OEM:COA. That would be the product key that could be manually entered to activate Windows with. The OEM:SLP key allowed manufacturers to use the same recovery image for every computer that had the same matching code stored in BIOS. The OEM:COA product key would allow the user to install their own vanilla copy of Windows and activate it.

NavyLCDR, Jun 12, 2017
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Even though Showkey Plus shows what type of key it is?

Find Windows 7 Product Key after Windows 10 Upgrade [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, Jun 12, 2017
  11. Tired guys, will run that again tomorrow and check it out further!

Thanks NavyLCDR that is some really good stuff that will help me very much! and tells me why the OEM:COA is different than the one I seen in ShowKeyPlus.

FunkMaster, Jun 12, 2017
  12. Superfly Win User
    Yes, if the key is COA (which you seem to indicate regarding a partial match with the scratched sticker) then it's OK - it's only good on the first PC it's used to activate with.

But as the Commander says... the recovery media will be required for a SLP key (it's built into the $OEM$ folder in the recovery media and will activate automatically offline).

PS: thanx for the compliment regarding ShowKey *Wink

Superfly, Jun 12, 2017
  13. Find Windows 7 Product Key after Windows 10 Upgrade

It's definitely the OEM:SLP, to bad. I also tried to understand Superfly's directions and chose "Retrieve Key From Backup"

Then pointed the tool to the FACTORY_IMAGE D: Partition in hopes that this Partition would have the needed Key, but was quite sure it did not LOL.

As I said earlier I don't have the Windows.old Folder anymore. I wonder if the Key is stored anywhere else but I'm not understanding where. I did look around for it in the C*Biggrinrive to no avail.

If I'm understanding correctly it will not be present anymore, so will have to use another procedure if possible.

No, I do not have any Recovery Media, except for a Vanilla Image.

Will the "Pidcheck" work in this case? I'll give it a try later today, gotta go now.

FunkMaster, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Find Windows 7 Product Key after Windows 10 Upgrade - Similar Threads - Find Product Key

2. Finding product key on a laptop that has been upgraded from windows 7 to 10 Home

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Finding product key on a laptop that has been upgraded from windows 7 to 10 Home: I have a laptop currently operating windows 10 home. It was originally on windows 7. Is there a way to find my product key label rubbed off, before I try restoring/fresh start?...
  3. how to find windows 10 product key after upgrading to windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to find windows 10 product key after upgrading to windows 11: i want to format my laptop and install windows 10 but i have upgraded to windows 11 and it says product key not found pls help it was original...
  4. how to find windows 10 product key after upgrading to windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to find windows 10 product key after upgrading to windows 11: i want to format my laptop and install windows 10 but i have upgraded to windows 11 and it says product key not found pls help it was original...
  5. cant find product key? i upgraded to windows 10 from 7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    cant find product key? i upgraded to windows 10 from 7: sad day https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-find-product-key-i-upgraded-to-windows-10/d7675024-59a5-4f1e-8462-97f5a837f165
  6. Windows 10 Pro Upgrade Can't Find Product Key

Windows 10 Pro Upgrade Can't Find Product Key: Trying to get access to my MS Windows 10 Pro key. Bought via store upgrade. Please do not send a link telling me to look in order history, continue to read instead. My order history order doesn't have any key information. There is also literally a dead link on my order...
  7. Upgrade from Windows 7 to 10: Product key retrieval

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrade from Windows 7 to 10: Product key retrieval: I am trying to upgrade my Windows 7 Professional to Windows 10. This is an old laptop which I'm trying to salvage. Unfortunately the sticker containing the key is gone. Is there anyway to retrieve the product key in a safe manner ? I want to avoid suspicious Third party...
  8. Can't find Original Product Key - Upgraded from 7/8 to 10

Can't find Original Product Key - Upgraded from 7/8 to 10: So basically I bought windows 7 or 8 (can't even remember) and I used my university email back then. Since then I graduated and I have no longer access to my old E-Mail account and the receipt from Microsoft. Since then I upgraded to 10 and a few days ago I bought a new PC....
  9. Upgrade win10 with windows 7 product key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade win10 with windows 7 product key: Hi all, I am using a laptop with activated Windows 7, is it possible to upgrade my operating system to win 10 with the product key of windows 7? Can I do that for free? Thanks....
  10. Windows 7 product key not working when upgrading to Windows 10

Windows 7 product key not working when upgrading to Windows 10: I upgraded my Windows 7 Starter to Windows 10 when it was for free. Unfortunately, I had to reformat my SSD, replaced my motherboard, and clean installed Windows 7 using my original disc. I then tried to upgrade using the Windows Media Creation Tool where I just downloaded in...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. after upgrading from windows 7 the key different from sticker

2. find windows 7 key after windows 10 upgrade