Windows 10: Finding a stolen computer

Discus and support Finding a stolen computer in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My computer was stolen Christmas morning, and I was wondering if there is any possible thing I could do to find it. I've already done the obvious (to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Eric Lockwood, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Finding a stolen computer

My computer was stolen Christmas morning, and I was wondering if there is any possible thing I could do to find it. I've already done the obvious (to me) stuff of calling the cops and changing my passwords. I've tried the 'Locate my device' feature, and I tried going through Azure, but neither has worked. (I only found out about Azure today and apparently I needed to set it up prior to.) I also tried calling local pawn shops. None of them had anything, and the thief in all likelihood went to a shop that wouldn't say they had it in the first place. I was able to find out my serial number and model number for the laptop itself, but otherwise I have no identifying information for it.

If there's nothing I can do to physically find it, would it be possible to find out the MAC address of the device I accessed my account with? Is there any kind of alert I could set up for if it connects to a network?

I'm pretty confident there is a way to find it. If the CIA or FBI, or any intelligence agency really, wanted to, I feel like they could. But they probably have more important things to do, and I don't have access to their same resources.

So do I have any options here?

Thanks for any help or advice you all can provide.

:)

Eric Lockwood, Feb 16, 2019
  2. Sasqui Win User

Overclocking / Undervolting guide for Vega 56 or 64?

Here's a quick laundry list:

List of software to use for overclocking and testing
    Examples:
    Wattman (and how to find and use it, like an overview, including profiles)
    Unigine Valley or Heaven (use this for quick testing while changing settings in Wattman and checking for stability / artifacts) ...just suggesting this
    How to monitor cores / mem speeds and temps during testing (I've seen screen overlays, and others using GPUz)

Step-by step overclocking in Wattman
    Fan speeds
    Power limit
    Temp limit
    Voltages
    Core speeds
    Memory speeds

Sasqui, Feb 16, 2019
  3. STOLEN PHONE

If your phone is off then it was either shut off or the battery is dead (or possibly in a location where there is no signal).

If you are sure it was stolen then I suggest the following:

• contact your provider and disable the SIM/service
    • You can still and should click the ERASE button on the page I posted above just in case someone does find the phone and turns it on. Hopefully you use a PIN code to prevent unauthorized access.
    If my replies assisted you, please mark my replies as the answer.

Jack Cook - aka Help_Line, Feb 16, 2019
  4. Finding a stolen computer

Networking for a stolen device

Hello,

Windows 10 allows users to quickly find other computers or devices sharing the same network. For us to verify if the old PC is still connected to your network, follow these steps:

• Using Windows Search, type and choose File Explorer.
    • Click Network on your navigation pane along the folder's left edge. It will provide you with the list of computers using the same network.
    • Check to see if you can locate the stolen PC's name.

Make sure that you reach out to the computer manufacturer to validate if they can track your old device's system information. After doing so, you may file a report to the police so they can conduct further investigation regarding this incident.

Let us know if you need more help about this query.

Dhavelyn Mer, Feb 16, 2019
Thema:

Finding a stolen computer

1. Finding a stolen computer - Similar Threads - Finding stolen computer

2. Find my device - stolen computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Find my device - stolen computer: HiMy computer has been stolen... Using Find my device does not help... logging in it says updated 5 days earlier - can I change so it is updated daily on my new computer?Is there any way I will have success locating a stolen computer?Perhaps I am in the wrong community, then...
  3. Find my device - stolen computer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Find my device - stolen computer: HiMy computer has been stolen... Using Find my device does not help... logging in it says updated 5 days earlier - can I change so it is updated daily on my new computer?Is there any way I will have success locating a stolen computer?Perhaps I am in the wrong community, then...
  4. Find my device - stolen computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Stolen computer

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Stolen computer: Split from this thread.I had a device stolen from me and the ones who have this are remote porting into my private phone and I can't seem to figure out where they have done this.I am a victim of a serious crime that some groups of these oeople have tried to hide themselves to...
  6. Stolen computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stolen computer: Split from this thread.I had a device stolen from me and the ones who have this are remote porting into my private phone and I can't seem to figure out where they have done this.I am a victim of a serious crime that some groups of these oeople have tried to hide themselves to...
  7. Finding stolen laptop

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Finding stolen laptop: I am a student. Someone stole my laptop. I have tried to find its location but location is off and shows battery 0% ...how can you advice me on finding it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/finding-stolen-laptop/079648cc-0669-4a4c-9d38-3526508083f0
  8. Stolen computer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Stolen computer: requested Microsoft to find my computer stolen on 10 - 10 - 2020. I aso requested MS to find my current computer which I am using. The found report came back with a location in Germiston Gauteng South Africa - FOR BOTH COMPUTERS. This is not even my own current address....
  9. Stolen computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Stolen computer: So long story short, lend my laptop to my ex and now she refuses to give it back. Sadly I live in another city as hers and can't get her to give it back. I can track the location from the laptop but can't lock it as it is a windows 10 home package. Any suggestions on how to...
  10. Stolen computer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Stolen computer: Hi, I left my computer in my University's cafè for 5 minutes and someone took it. I tried to aske on facebook groups and to all the offices in the uni for 2 weeks but no one found it, so i went to the police. Is there a way in which i can discover my mac address through my...