Windows 10: Finding an open file or folder

Discus and support Finding an open file or folder in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; In Windows 10 File Manager, when I try to rename a folder I get the message that I cannot do it because one of its files or folders is open. How do I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Heavy-Duty, Aug 30, 2020.

1. Finding an open file or folder

In Windows 10 File Manager, when I try to rename a folder I get the message that I cannot do it because one of its files or folders is open. How do I track down the culprit?

:)

Heavy-Duty, Aug 30, 2020
  2. Ketxxx Win User

opening .dds files with gimp

Simply, HOW? I got the DDS plugin but the POS wont open DDS files still. Can someone give me a step-by-step rundown of how to install the DDS plugin for gimp so I know if I'm missing something?

Ketxxx, Aug 30, 2020
  3. dark2099 Win User
    Generating a .txt based file list in Windows 7

I want to be able to generate a .txt file that lists all the files and folders in a specific folder on my PC, but don't know the name of any programs that do that. Searched on google a bit and came up with this guide, but it's for XP and I can't seem to find some of the folder options to modify the .bat file. Any suggestions? Thanks

http://www.theeldergeek.com/file_list_generator.htm

EDIT: The .bat file will do what I want if it is in the folder I want to do it in, but the option I want to add is having the right click option that it shows.

dark2099, Aug 30, 2020
  4. Jacko28 Win User

Finding an open file or folder

Opening a Folder in VC++

Thanks for all of the help guys, I've managed to get it working now. I used OpenFileDialog in the end and I've used a StreamReader to open the file. As of right now I'm not reading from a textbox to find the file, the file's I actually need are all in the same directory/folder so I've just put a path to the folder and added a .txt filter(all files are saved a .txt).

I'll keep this thread updated, becuase I'm going to attempt to read from the textbox when I have some more free time.

Jacko28, Aug 30, 2020
Thema:

Finding an open file or folder

1. Finding an open file or folder - Similar Threads - Finding open file

2. Finding deleted files - Documents folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Finding deleted files - Documents folder: Hi.So I was making space on my harddrive yesterday. In doing so I found there was 30gb of stuff on my harddrive that I think was linked to an old work OneDrive account that I couldn't delete, even when I de selected 'read only'. So in trying to clean up the drive, I appear to...
  3. Finding deleted files - Documents folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Finding deleted files - Documents folder: Hi.So I was making space on my harddrive yesterday. In doing so I found there was 30gb of stuff on my harddrive that I think was linked to an old work OneDrive account that I couldn't delete, even when I de selected 'read only'. So in trying to clean up the drive, I appear to...
  4. How to find which file or folder is open when I try to rename a file?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to find which file or folder is open when I try to rename a file?: I am trying to rename a folder, but receive an error message that a file or folder is open.I rebooted already twice.How can I find what is holding the folder?Thanks,Efrat...
  5. How to find which file or folder is open when I try to rename a file?

How to find which file or folder is open when I try to rename a file?: I am trying to rename a folder, but receive an error message that a file or folder is open.I rebooted already twice.How can I find what is holding the folder?Thanks,Efrat...
  6. Need to Find Open File/Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Need to Find Open File/Folder: Hello - I have a folder that contains 20+GB files & sub-folders. I need to rename the folder and am getting the message saying "Can't be completed because a file is open in another program. Close the folder/file & try again." Then it says the folder name and the date...
  7. Cannot Open Folders or Files

Cannot Open Folders or Files: I copied a folder from my account Account A to another account Account B. I then switched to Account B and tried to open the folder. I received an error message "Application not found". I found that strange so I looked at the folder properties and it clearly identifies in...
  8. Is there a way to find the location of an open file?

Is there a way to find the location of an open file?: I'm coming from the MacOS environment where I'd right click on the filename in the titlebar and it'd show me where the file I'm working on is currently saved. Is there a way to find that information in the Windows environment? Thanks in advance for your response! Janvin...
  9. Software for finding duplicate files and folders

Software for finding duplicate files and folders: My main pc has over the years managed to get a lot of duplicate files and folders is there any software that will find them for me that is easy to use so i can delete them. I have win10 version 2004 161402
  10. Opening files/photos in folders-

in Windows 10 Support
    Opening files/photos in folders-: If someone could save my sanity, I'd appreciate it. Each time I try to open a folder-say from the internet- to grab a photo, the drop down list is ALWAYS set to 'custom files' and I have to change it to get to the jpg./png files I want. So by default, it always list the...