Windows 10: Finding and fixing a broken update on Windows 10

Discus and support Finding and fixing a broken update on Windows 10 in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm running a machine with an AMD processor (stuff I've found online indicated that might be important). There is some sort of update that's been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/goaway432, Apr 12, 2020.

1. Finding and fixing a broken update on Windows 10

I'm running a machine with an AMD processor (stuff I've found online indicated that might be important). There is some sort of update that's been trying to install 3x a week for a month now that is broken. It boots, comes to the blue screen with the Finding and fixing a broken update on Windows 10 :(, reboots, and repeats. Eventually it comes to the "we don't know what to do" screen, I can boot into safe mode w/ networking and it will remove the broken update. The problem is this keeps happening and I can't get any other updates.

So how do I go about figuring out which update is broken and remove it from the chain? There doesn't seem to be a list of updates like there have been in previous versions of windows.

submitted by /u/goaway432
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/goaway432, Apr 12, 2020

2. FIXED!! Windows 7 sp1 never ends searching for updates

Thanks for this and your step by step. My search for updates only took 10 minutes after your guide.

Spaceman Spiff, Apr 12, 2020
  3. rtwjunkie Win User
    FIXED!! Windows 7 sp1 never ends searching for updates

Yeah, I've been noting it for months on the refusenik thread. They do NOT want anything older than 10 running.

I still have an HTPC on W7, and every other month I have to fix the update agent in order to get all updates. SMH....

You provided a good step by step fix. I've bookmarked it for future reference.

rtwjunkie, Apr 12, 2020
  4. AsRock Win User

Finding and fixing a broken update on Windows 10

Windows 10 Update

Well just noticed a pretty large one pop up coming in at 914MB, seems it makes some pretty serous updates.

KB3172985
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172985

This security update includes improvements and fixes in the functionality of Windows 10 Version 1511 and Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 4. It also resolves the following vulnerabilities in Windows:

• 3175677 MS16-094: Security update for secure boot: July 12, 2016
    • 3174060 MS16-093: Security update for Adobe Flash Player: July 12, 2016
    • 3171910 MS16-092: Security update for Windows Kernel: July 12, 2016
    • 3170048 MS16-091: Security update for .Net Framework: July 12, 2016
    • 3171481 MS16-090: Security update for Kernel Mode Drivers: July 12, 2016
    • 3170050 MS16-089: Security update for Windows secure kernel mode: July 12, 2016
    • 3170005 MS16-087: Security update for the Microsoft Print Spooler: July 12, 2016
    • 3169999 MS16-085: Cumulative security update for Microsoft Edge: July 12, 2016
    • 3169991 MS16-084: Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer: July 12, 2016

AsRock, Apr 12, 2020
Thema:

Finding and fixing a broken update on Windows 10

1. Finding and fixing a broken update on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Finding fixing broken

2. How to fix broken Windows Update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to fix broken Windows Update: I want to update windowsHowever when I open the windows update on my computer it always says "Something went wrong. Try to reopen Settings later."Previously there was a windows update stopper driver on my computer however I have deleted it and restarted the windows update...
  3. How to fix broken Windows Update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to fix broken Windows Update: I want to update windowsHowever when I open the windows update on my computer it always says "Something went wrong. Try to reopen Settings later."Previously there was a windows update stopper driver on my computer however I have deleted it and restarted the windows update...
  4. Windows update broken, nothing seems to fix it.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows update broken, nothing seems to fix it.: Hello I'm looking for some help in fixing my windows update. I feel like I've tried everything short of a fresh install of windows, which I'm trying to avoid if possible. Let me lay out the situation and what I've tried It originally began with the PC having poor performance...
  5. Windows update broken, nothing seems to fix it.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update broken, nothing seems to fix it.: Hello I'm looking for some help in fixing my windows update. I feel like I've tried everything short of a fresh install of windows, which I'm trying to avoid if possible. Let me lay out the situation and what I've tried It originally began with the PC having poor performance...
  6. Windows update broken, nothing seems to fix it.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Windows Update broken but fixed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update broken but fixed: Windows update was broken on my computer for two months. The C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder was full of bad stuff. I went to Contact Us - Microsoft Support for help. I followed all the instructions from the chat robot until I finally got to talk to a support person....
  8. Bluetooth in Windows 10, Broken?? Fix??

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bluetooth in Windows 10, Broken?? Fix??: Trying to use Bluetooth to connect a Agilent Keysight U1177A multimeter communication module to windows 10. I am running an HP Omen Laptop, with most recent patches and upgrades. I have updated the driver for the Realtek Bluetooth 4.2 adapter to most recent available...
  9. Windows 10 September cumulative updates: What’s fixed and broken

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 September cumulative updates: What’s fixed and broken: With the launch of Windows 10, Microsoft has redesigned the Windows Update schedule and how your devices are updated. On every second Tuesday, new cumulative updates are shipped as part of the “Patch Tuesday” release to solve some nagging problems and security...
  10. Fix Your Broken Updater, Microsoft

in Windows 10 Customization
    Fix Your Broken Updater, Microsoft: So first of all, let me pose a question: It's clear enough to me that Microsoft does not care about its customers, I get that, and I hope you people die. However...if we could be civil just for a second, maybe someone with brains here could actually solve this instead of...