Windows 10: Finding appropriate KB# for failed update that showed in Update History for just seconds...

Discus and support Finding appropriate KB# for failed update that showed in Update History for just seconds... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I had a Windows 10 v2004 Cumulative Update 10/13/20 download with several other Updates. The other Updates worked, but this Update said it failed and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Stevie-Y, Oct 14, 2020.

1. Stevie-Y Win User

Finding appropriate KB# for failed update that showed in Update History for just seconds...

I had a Windows 10 v2004 Cumulative Update 10/13/20 download with several other Updates. The other Updates worked, but this Update said it failed and I went to the Update History, and saw the 'unsuccessful' message, but before I could write down the KB number, the Update History record disappeared. Is there a way to salvage this 'lost' record?

Supposedly, the KB# may be different on a particular machine running Win10 v2004, than another running the same version, so I am trying to figure out what Windows 10 Cumulative Update KB# would have to be downloaded for my machine. How can I determine this?

Thanks,

Stevie Y.

:)

Stevie-Y, Oct 14, 2020
  2. PaulPChou Win User

updates that are installed only show KB number in the update history

hi Microsoft,

When I went to the update catalog to download and install updates ending with the .msu, then I went to the Windows update history under settings to find out that the updates installed only show the KB numbers. Is there a way or possible to show not only
    the KB numbers but the names of the updates like other updates do when downloaded and installed via the Windows update? I could send a feedback for it.

PaulPChou, Oct 14, 2020
  3. Downloading the most recent KB

I am doing this because I am still trying to find why my last Windows Updates are failing, and because I am not ready for an In-Place Upgrade.

I am referring to the instructions given on this MS page:

support.microsoft.com/en-nz/help/10164/fix-windows-update-errors

It says:

• Go to the Update history page.
    • Find the most recent update KB for the version of Windows 10 you have – it’s usually at the top of the list – and either write the KB number down or copy it
    • Go to the Microsoft Update site and search for the KB number.
    Under View Update history in Settings, I see only the latest attempts to install the 2018 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 V1803 for (KB4462919) and the failed Security Update (KB4462919).

That means I see two KB numbers. In the instructions under 3, which KB number are they talking about? Are they even talking about any one of the two listed KB numbers in Update History (failed updates), or are they talking about the KB number(s) of the last successful update. If the latter, I don't have them, because I cleared the Update History in Settings.

battlezone, Oct 14, 2020
  4. Bree Win User

Finding appropriate KB# for failed update that showed in Update History for just seconds...

No update history

It will, a Features Update clears all the history - it's no longer relevant as it applied to the previous version.

Some previous cumulative updates have been known to clear the history too. You can however check on which updates are installed in several other ways.

In Settings, on the 'View installed update history' page click 'uninstall updates'. There you will find a list of installed Windows updates and their KB numbers.

In a command prompt type systeminfo, the updates are listed as 'Hotfix(s)' by KB number.

Thema:

1. Finding appropriate KB# for failed update that showed in Update History for just seconds... - Similar Threads - Finding appropriate KB#

2. KB 4023057 and KB 4480730 Updates Showing in Control Panel

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    KB 4023057 and KB 4480730 Updates Showing in Control Panel: I have Update for Windows 10 KB 4023057installed in 2019 and no update available till now and KB 4480730 installed in 2019 and no update available till now and Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable updated in 2020, right now i am using Windows 10, 2004. my question is that do...
  3. How can I find the KB Id of a failed Windows update?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I find the KB Id of a failed Windows update?: I’m trying to find the update I need so I can download it from Microsoft update catalog but it doesn’t show me the KB Id in settings or event viewer. submitted by /u/lil_dachi [link] [comments]...
  4. December update not showing in Update History

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    December update not showing in Update History: Win 10 Home v20H2, build 19042.685 I update my PC every month and I know I did it on 8th December 2020 but it is not showing in Update History. I do not remember seeing any 'Failed' or other error messages. The last update showing is KB4586781 on 11th November 2020 and, if I...
  5. Update KB 4535547 keeps failing

Update KB 4535547 keeps failing: My computer keeps trying to install KB 4535547. About 2/3 of the way through installing, it fails. I searched on the MS website and saw that you can "hide" the install and keep it from installing by downloading a troubleshooter. I tried this, but I got a message that the...
  6. KB update

KB update: Hello --- if MS fixed/updates a patch (KB entry) will the date for the entry in the patch catalog for the patch get updated to reflect the update? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/kb-update/878c9bbd-2d03-47a4-9824-d64d4b7e0fc8
  7. updates that are installed only show KB number in the update history

updates that are installed only show KB number in the update history: hi Microsoft, When I went to the update catalog to download and install updates ending with the .msu, then I went to the Windows update history under settings to find out that the updates installed only show the KB numbers. Is there a way or possible to show not only the KB...
  8. Where to find the list of Kb's in cumulative updates?

Where to find the list of Kb's in cumulative updates?: I have ITMS for patching but i need to refer the list of KB's in cumulative updates so that i do no need to download individual KB's that might already be in the cumulative updates. This can be cumulative update of version 1803, 1709, 1703 and etc any idea?...
  9. Deleting "Failed Updates" in Update History

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Deleting "Failed Updates" in Update History: I've disabled automatic updates (drivers, Win updates) by making changes to Win 10. Now every entry in Update History is listed as a failed update. Of course, no update has failed; I don't want to install them yet. Is there a way to delete failed update entries? 40662
  10. File History update failes

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History update failes: Backing up File History (to an external drive) takes its time and then fails just before it is about to complete ....every time. 101148