Windows 10: Finding files with obscure names

Discus and support Finding files with obscure names in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Files may appear in Windows Explorer with names that give no clue as to their nature or purpose. The names may be important to allow programs that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jsampson45, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Finding files with obscure names

Files may appear in Windows Explorer with names that give no clue as to their nature or purpose. The names may be important to allow programs that depend on them to find them, or there may be other reasons why they should not be changed. What is the best way to add metadata for making them human-findable? (Windows 10 Version 1903 (OS Build 18362.657))

:)

jsampson45, Feb 22, 2020

2. Nokia Maps obscures street names

Yep. Zooming in and out keeps the names obscured, and moving the map around doesn't help either.

diabo---01, Feb 22, 2020
  3. sturpe Win User
    Cannot find Desktop Icon in File Explorer

My Desktop is showing icons as normal. But if I try to find what is on my desktop by using file manager, I cannot find the icon. I also checked under C;\user my name, public, default and no desktop listed on any of them. Any suggestions?

sturpe, Feb 22, 2020
  4. Finding files with obscure names

Trouble finding files in File Explorer

Hi William,

To help you locate your missing files, kindly follow these steps:

• Press Windows and type the file name.
    • Click My stuff to find results for all the files across your computer and OneDrive.

Let us know the outcome.

Dennis Mop, Feb 22, 2020
Thema:

Finding files with obscure names

1. Finding files with obscure names - Similar Threads - Finding files obscure

2. Find files with names with spaces

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Find files with names with spaces: I have created duplicate files by accident in my music library, for example, I will have01 You Got It.m4a and 01 You Got It 2.m4aI, therefore, want to search all files that end on _2.m4a where my underscore represents a space for explanation.However, when I search on "*...
  3. File Explorer info window obscures following items

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer info window obscures following items: In details view, selecting an item presents a small window with additional info, that I am not interested in at this moment. This small window obscures the name of the following items in the list, see picture. Is there any trick to prevent the appearance of this additional...
  4. Obscure Fullscreen problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Obscure Fullscreen problem: I’m on Win 10 pro on a home-built PC and I started having a very odd issue with what I believe to be Win 10. I’ve had the same hardware and OS set up since about October of last year and this issue only started to arise within the past couple weeks. — TL;DR: After a few...
  5. How to find a File name?

How to find a File name?: I transferred a photo CD from CVS to my computer so that I could Email them to someone, I prepare the email I go to file Explorer click on what I want to send, hit open then the box to the left of the open key asks for the file name, what and where can I find the "File...
  6. Finding and Replacing parts of a file name text for multiple files

Finding and Replacing parts of a file name text for multiple files: I have a problem in "Finding and Replacing" parts of a file name text for multiple files. Does Microsoft have a facility to this as XP used to have? I cannot find it anywhere on the Windows 10 system?...
  7. how to find the file name for a DVD

how to find the file name for a DVD: I loaded a DVD into my desktop PC and I don't know how to find that file. Where should I look for it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-find-the-file-name-for-a-dvd/a92d4269-50c9-4952-955e-1b1395ef6fe6"
  8. Changing file name changes the folder name AND cannot find the folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing file name changes the folder name AND cannot find the folder: Two odd things are happen to my files: 1. Changing only the file name in explorer changes the folder name 2. I cannot locate the directory (possibly a library) Here's what is happening in explorer: I search for the text OLD, the results come up: file=IMG_3654.JPG folder...
  9. Find Files With Different File Names But Same Content

in Windows 10 Support
    Find Files With Different File Names But Same Content: Hi. In Windows 10, is it possible to find documents with the same content but different filenames? 121161
  10. Videos obscured.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Videos obscured.: Why have all videos (both mine and those taken by others - eg Facebook) suddenly started playing with a thick band of unrelated colour obscuring the bottom third of the image? Videos displayed fine previously. Using Windows 10 Version 1803 OS Build 17134.165 on an Acer...