Windows 10: Finding lost files after Windows 10 recovery

Discus and support Finding lost files after Windows 10 recovery in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My Windows 10 computer crashed and forced me into recovery, and now all my files seem to be lost. However, the background is still showing my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Toothsheep, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Finding lost files after Windows 10 recovery

My Windows 10 computer crashed and forced me into recovery, and now all my files seem to be lost. However, the background is still showing my slideshow, so at least SOME files must be hiding somewhere.... I have searched online forums and tried everything, but cannot find my files - documents, pictures, the lot! Any ideas?

:)

Toothsheep, Aug 20, 2017
  2. prueo Win User

Lost Music, Documents, Photos after Windows 10 upgrade

I was able to find the documents lost during the Windows 10 installation and then lost them again when rebooting after an update. These files are nowhere to be found on the drive. The recovery and restore options fail. Is there a fix?

prueo, Aug 20, 2017
  3. widows 10 drivers up date lost my windows outlook express e-mail

Hi Francis,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I am sorry to know that you have lost data after updating Windows 10 drivers.

You have selected phone category and there is no Safe Mode in Windows 10 phones. Then how did you update drivers in Safe Mode?

If it is a PC then try System Restore and check.

Recovery options in Windows 10:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options

Find lost files after the update to Windows 10:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/find-lost-files-after-the-update-to-windows-10

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Aug 20, 2017
  4. spunk Win User

Finding lost files after Windows 10 recovery

Did you choose to do a Recovery and Save your files? If so, then browse to C:\Users\[YourUserName] if there are two, Username folders then go to the other folder and see if everything is there. Then you can copy everything to your new user profile.

spunk, Aug 20, 2017
  5. Unfortunately, there is only one username folder.

Toothsheep, Aug 20, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    What recovery procedure did you use? There are various sorts of recovery procedures- usually it's up to the user to find a way forward and choose appropriately, where possible.

Did you use any of these?
    Refresh Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Are you logged in as normal? Do you still have your usual programs installed?

I hope you have backups- we strongly advocate using disk imaging, which lets you relatively easily restore a previous working version of your PC without technical help- even if you have to buy a new disk. Disk images also act as backups from which you can extract files.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Finding lost files after Windows 10 recovery

1. Finding lost files after Windows 10 recovery - Similar Threads - Finding lost files

2. Find lost files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Find lost files: Please help with finding a file that is gone but is super important! It is not in the auto saved information and I really need it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/find-lost-files/65c7c44f-1239-4cd2-b832-8ae2d0d7aea5
  3. Find lost files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Find lost files: Please help with finding a file that is gone but is super important! It is not in the auto saved information and I really need it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/find-lost-files/65c7c44f-1239-4cd2-b832-8ae2d0d7aea5
  4. How to find lost files after cut & paste

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to find lost files after cut & paste: 1 I connected my phone & an external hard drive to my PC2 I cut a hundred or so .jpg pictures that were stored my phone and pasted them into a folder I just created on my external hard drive.3 Later without having disconnected either the phone or the hard drive I couldn't...
  5. How to find lost files after cut & paste

How to find lost files after cut & paste: 1 I connected my phone & an external hard drive to my PC2 I cut a hundred or so .jpg pictures that were stored my phone and pasted them into a folder I just created on my external hard drive.3 Later without having disconnected either the phone or the hard drive I couldn't...
  6. how to recovery lost file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to recovery lost file: Hi I running into some issue with my windows. All my files saved on desktop is lost, is there any way to recover the lost file? I used some third party program which can find the file, but how can I do it through windows?Thansk...
  7. how to recovery lost file

how to recovery lost file: Hi I running into some issue with my windows. All my files saved on desktop is lost, is there any way to recover the lost file? I used some third party program which can find the file, but how can I do it through windows?Thansk...
  8. how to recovery lost file

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. How to find lost files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to find lost files: My laptop has two drives, C: is a 256 GB SSD I have of course my OS, (Win 10 Home) MS Office Professional and a couple of video editing applications. The second drive is a conventional 2 TB HDD which I accidently deleted three movies from. When I restored them I figured they...
  10. Lost file recovery

Lost file recovery: I use MS WORKS and have been working on my life history, I was up to 38 pages and yesterday after adding some changes, I saved it to a USB flash drive as I have each and everyday it also is on auto save evert 5 min. Today when I went to start back up again the popup window...