Windows 10: Finding the free space on a hard drive

Discus and support Finding the free space on a hard drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Is there any application that comes with Windows 10, that will show the hard-drive storage usage and free space? I do not mean an application that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by richard2277, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Finding the free space on a hard drive

Is there any application that comes with Windows 10, that will show the hard-drive storage usage and free space?

I do not mean an application that will show usage and free space for each partition (disk). Such data is rather inconvenient, when one wants to know how much is left on a complete hard drive. Thanks.

:)

richard2277, Jul 27, 2016
  2. DaveM121 Win User

"Other People" category taking up storage space

First you need to find where the space is being used and Windows File Explorer is useless at doing that and always has been

Click the link below to download a small free utility called TreeSize

JAM Software - Windows Freeware

That is the best software for finding what is taking up your hard drive space and it is free.

Open the Software, let it scan your hard drive and you will immediately see where all your hard drive space is being used . . .

DaveM121, Jul 27, 2016
  3. MeSo2 Win User
    Backup did not complete successfully because a shadow copy could not be created. Free up disk space on the drive that you are backing up by deleting unnecessary files and then try again.

This is the error I am getting trying to run a backup in Win 10 pro (1607):

Backup did not complete successfully because a shadow copy could not be created. Free up disk space on the drive that you are backing up by deleting unnecessary files and then try again.

The destination hard drive is an internal hard drive with over 2 time the amount of free hard drive space.

In System I find the error: The server {...} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

MeSo2, Jul 27, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

Finding the free space on a hard drive

Used space and usable space of an HDD will never be completely accurate as there will be 2 or more partitions created during a normal installation of Windows and 1 or more of those 'extra' partitions will be unusable or inaccessible, won't have a drive letter which is required to allow File Explorer to have access. Some of the 'extras' are created by the manufacturer of the computer and/or by Windows. There is the built-in Disk Management of Windows but there's other programs both paid and free available on the 'net that may do a better job for what you desire.

Berton, Jul 27, 2016
Thema:

Finding the free space on a hard drive

1. Finding the free space on a hard drive - Similar Threads - Finding free space

2. Hard drive showing wrong free space in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Hard drive showing wrong free space in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Imagine a situation when your a disk in your system is showing high space utilization while you haven’t installed many applications. Upon checking the actual volume occupied by the apps inside the drive, you realize that they aren’t occupying a [...] This...
  3. Can't find app that's taking up hard drive space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't find app that's taking up hard drive space: At one point I purchased a game from Steam, which included a beta version. Since I didn't want that, I deleted it (unfortunately not through the Steam client). Now when I use the Storage app to see what files are taking up space on my hard drive, this game is shown as using...
  4. Allocating Hard Drive Space

in Windows 10 Customization
    Allocating Hard Drive Space: Lets start from the beginning. I dropped my computer about a month ago and the hard drive started to fail on me so i shut the computer down for a while, got a new hard drive, and used a dock like thing to clone the stuff from my dying hard drive to my new one. my issue now is...
  5. Hard drive storage space

Hard drive storage space: What is the maximum amount of storage space Windows 10 can recognize \ utilize? I am setting up external hard drives for multiple storage locations and I want to know what the limit is that windows can recognize and use at any given time. I contacted support and was told the...
  6. Need more Free Space on my Hard Drive

Need more Free Space on my Hard Drive: So yeah, the other day I was uninstalling games so I could get more space and my pc said I had 108gb free space, so the next day I restarted it and now it says I have 68gb free space. I don't know the reason, I didn't downloaded anything since I uninstalled my games, and I...
  7. Free up drive space

Free up drive space: I'm in settings trying to remove disk space to Free up drive space and it has been over an hour and still is not done. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/free-up-drive-space/6444bfde-0eb1-4c41-a966-7bf7ca496634"
  8. Freeing Space in this Small Drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Freeing Space in this Small Drive: Hi! I've got 1.45GB free of 28.6GB in my computer. How do I free up space (like 6GB more) so I can install a program? I tried to find programs that take up additional spaces but I couldn't find any. Is Windows 10 occupying most of the 28.6GB of this computer? What can I do...
  9. Freeing Space in this Small Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Freeing Space in this Small Drive: Hi! I've got 1.45GB free of 28.6GB in my computer. How do I free up space (like 6GB more) so I can install a program? I tried to find programs that take up additional spaces but I couldn't find any. Is Windows 10 occupying most of the 28.6GB of this computer? What can I do...
  10. Free space on a hard drive has got corrupted, HELP

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Free space on a hard drive has got corrupted, HELP: I have 2 8Tb drives that I manually keep in sync. Recently, I have no idea when, the free space on them just got out of step. I've JUST re-synced them but at this moment there is 1,416,419,140k (& 70,438 files) free on one and 1,938,941,052k (and 70,435 files) on the...