Windows 10: Finding the free space on a hard drive

Discus and support Finding the free space on a hard drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Is there any application that comes with Windows 10, that will show the hard-drive storage usage and free space? I do not mean an application that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by richard2277, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Finding the free space on a hard drive

Is there any application that comes with Windows 10, that will show the hard-drive storage usage and free space?

I do not mean an application that will show usage and free space for each partition (disk). Such data is rather inconvenient, when one wants to know how much is left on a complete hard drive. Thanks.

:)

richard2277, Jul 27, 2016
  2. DaveM121 Win User

"Other People" category taking up storage space

First you need to find where the space is being used and Windows File Explorer is useless at doing that and always has been

Click the link below to download a small free utility called TreeSize

JAM Software - Windows Freeware

That is the best software for finding what is taking up your hard drive space and it is free.

Open the Software, let it scan your hard drive and you will immediately see where all your hard drive space is being used . . .

DaveM121, Jul 27, 2016
  3. MeSo2 Win User
    Backup did not complete successfully because a shadow copy could not be created. Free up disk space on the drive that you are backing up by deleting unnecessary files and then try again.

This is the error I am getting trying to run a backup in Win 10 pro (1607):

Backup did not complete successfully because a shadow copy could not be created. Free up disk space on the drive that you are backing up by deleting unnecessary files and then try again.

The destination hard drive is an internal hard drive with over 2 time the amount of free hard drive space.

In System I find the error: The server {...} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

MeSo2, Jul 27, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

Finding the free space on a hard drive

Used space and usable space of an HDD will never be completely accurate as there will be 2 or more partitions created during a normal installation of Windows and 1 or more of those 'extra' partitions will be unusable or inaccessible, won't have a drive letter which is required to allow File Explorer to have access. Some of the 'extras' are created by the manufacturer of the computer and/or by Windows. There is the built-in Disk Management of Windows but there's other programs both paid and free available on the 'net that may do a better job for what you desire.

Berton, Jul 27, 2016
Thema:

Finding the free space on a hard drive

1. Finding the free space on a hard drive - Similar Threads - Finding free space

2. Hyper V - freeing up space in hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper V - freeing up space in hard drive: To whom it may concern,On my computer, I have a hard drive which stores all the virtual machines created in Hyper V. While using Hyper V, I noticed that the Windows 8 virtual machine was using 94.8 GB on my computer even though the virtual local disk was only about 50% full....
  3. Hyper V - freeing up space in hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hyper V - freeing up space in hard drive: To whom it may concern,On my computer, I have a hard drive which stores all the virtual machines created in Hyper V. While using Hyper V, I noticed that the Windows 8 virtual machine was using 94.8 GB on my computer even though the virtual local disk was only about 50% full....
  4. How to free more hard drive space?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to free more hard drive space?: When I use sfc scan, disk cleanup, delete windows update log and app cache, run storage sense by clearing temporary files using storage setting and flush dns cache then i restart my pc, the storage won't low down a bit. I already transfer my genshin impact game files to other...
  5. How to free up hard drive space

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to free up hard drive space: I've got a computer with a ~120G SSD and a larger HDD. I've made a real effort to keep anything discretionary off the SSD, but as I'm a (new) developer there are lots of installs, and the space keeps creeping up. The plan had been to install a larger SSD, but now that Covid...
  6. How to free up hard drive space

in Windows 10 Support
    How to free up hard drive space: I've got a computer with a ~120G SSD and a larger HDD. I've made a real effort to keep anything discretionary off the SSD, but as I'm a (new) developer there are lots of installs, and the space keeps creeping up. The plan had been to install a larger SSD, but now that Covid...
  7. Freeing up space on hard drive.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Freeing up space on hard drive.: Hi , I need too free up space on my hard drive. Seems other users account for 154 gb I have no other users. In manage my account it only gives me the option to add family friends. How do I delete the other users and free up space? Any help will be appreciated ta...
  8. "Free up space" Hard drive option difficulty

"Free up space" Hard drive option difficulty: Attempted to use the "free up space" option in my storage and its stuck saying "Purging: Compress your OS drive" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/free-up-space-hard-drive-option-difficulty/d7a902d2-7089-4e17-a2fa-e8b970c1db9e"
  9. Portable hard drive not enough free space.

Portable hard drive not enough free space.: I have a 1.5 TB back up portable hard that only has 355 GB of Free Space. It has only 2 system images from C drive (with 147 GB of used space). I have made several system images in the past on this hard drive and deleted most of them over time. 1. How can only 2 system...
  10. Need more Free Space on my Hard Drive

Need more Free Space on my Hard Drive: So yeah, the other day I was uninstalling games so I could get more space and my pc said I had 108gb free space, so the next day I restarted it and now it says I have 68gb free space. I don't know the reason, I didn't downloaded anything since I uninstalled my games, and I...