Windows 10: Finding the hardware responsible for regular crashes or freezes

Discus and support Finding the hardware responsible for regular crashes or freezes in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hey,I'm trying to get to the bottom of very regular crashes 1/day at least under no intense load basically reading stuff, occasionally watching videos.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Frédéric Gobry, Jul 8, 2021.

1. Finding the hardware responsible for regular crashes or freezes

Hey,I'm trying to get to the bottom of very regular crashes 1/day at least under no intense load basically reading stuff, occasionally watching videos. I just reinstalled windows 10 and it crashed fairly quickly with only two apps reinstalled chrome and crashplan. The only "unusual" thing I did was to enable Controlled Folder Access, but this is something that was active forever on my machine before it started acting up.That latest failure was a freeze followed by a spontaneous reboot. I got the following info from the reliability monitor:SourceWindowsSummaryHardware errorDate‎2021

:)

Frédéric Gobry, Jul 8, 2021
  2. peach1971 Win User

all games crash!

I suggest you run rthdribl > http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/archives/rthdribl_1_2.zip
    Increase the window size step by step and watch your vga temps permanently.
    What happens?
    If it crashes, run at stock speeds as suggested before and retry.

P.S.: When your system locks, does the display signal turn off after a time?
    Stuttering sound or no sound at all when freezing?
    What X1800XT model do you own exactly?

peach1971, Jul 8, 2021
  3. all games crash!

ive watch my temps and both the cpu and gpu are within normal ranges. when it freezes it simply freezes the image and stops the sound. i must reboot to get back to windows.

Easy Rhino, Jul 8, 2021
  4. NcAdams Win User

Finding the hardware responsible for regular crashes or freezes

WIndows 10 periodic hardware/software freeze

TL;DR: Every few minutes my computer's filesystem freezes, then the keyboard/mouse a minute later, then the screen ~5s later. When I change the power source everything goes back to normal.

FULL STORY: I have a new Acer Nitro 515-53 running Windows 10. Soon after getting it I started having an issue where many different systems freeze one after another. It generally happens like this:

• Elements of the Windows stops responding. There is no response when I try to open Windows search, the start menu, apps from the taskbar, etc.
    • 30sec to several minutes afterward, the keyboard and mouse stop responding (but the screen still works).
    • 5-10sec after that, the screen freezes.

The weirdest part: This is all fixed immediately if I change the power source (EITHER unplug it OR plug it in). When the power changes, it's as though all the commands I entered during the freeze get entered at once -- the mouse scurries around the screen, Windows search opens and closes, all my key inputs suddenly get entered.

It's getting pretty unbearable because at its worst this happens about once a minute. However, it sometimes stops for hours or days. (For some reason it's never happened to me while gaming, in case that matters.) I can't for the life of me find anything similar online, so I'm looking for any next steps you suggest

NcAdams, Jul 8, 2021
Thema:

Finding the hardware responsible for regular crashes or freezes

1. Finding the hardware responsible for regular crashes or freezes - Similar Threads - Finding hardware responsible

2. Laptop crash-freezes regularly when on battery power

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop crash-freezes regularly when on battery power: Recently when my laptop is on battery power, and only on battery power, it's been crashing on a semi-regular basis. The screen freezes, all sound stops, Windows is completely unresponsive to any kind of input. It seems to stay this way indefinitely until I'm forced to turn...
  3. Laptop crash-freezes regularly when on battery power

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop crash-freezes regularly when on battery power: Recently when my laptop is on battery power, and only on battery power, it's been crashing on a semi-regular basis. The screen freezes, all sound stops, Windows is completely unresponsive to any kind of input. It seems to stay this way indefinitely until I'm forced to turn...
  4. Laptop crash-freezes regularly when on battery power

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Regular game crashes, not hardware related

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Regular game crashes, not hardware related: Hi all,I've recently bought a new computer and have been encountering game crashes ever since.I've tried numerous hardware related things which all did not help.As far as I'm concerned the problems started occurring after the KB5027538 .NET Framework Update, could have...
  6. Regular game crashes, not hardware related

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Regular game crashes, not hardware related: Hi all,I've recently bought a new computer and have been encountering game crashes ever since.I've tried numerous hardware related things which all did not help.As far as I'm concerned the problems started occurring after the KB5027538 .NET Framework Update, could have...
  7. Regular game crashes, not hardware related

8. PC crashes regularly, can't find solution

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    PC crashes regularly, can't find solution: The PC of my mother in law crashes regularly. It's ongoing for a few months now. The crazy thing about it is, that it's only at her place. I took the pc to my place and tested it 3 times for multiple days. It crashed one time on "POOL_CORRUPTION_IN_FILE_AREA de" but...
  9. Windows crashes or freezes regularly

Windows crashes or freezes regularly: My Windows 10 Lenovo desktop (ideacentre 310S-081AP) has been regularly crashing for almost the last three weeks. Often it freezes, usually after about a half hour of use, often during a YouTube video, but even when only using email. Occasionally it will freeze during a...
  10. Regular freezing

in Windows 10 Support
    Regular freezing: Hi, Windows seems to freeze every 30 minutes or so on my HP 255 G3 Notebook PC. Keyboard and mouse unresponsive. It doesn't come back and I have to power off. Reliability Monitor just says "Windows unexpectedly shut down". UEFI tests show all hardware to be working...