Windows 10: Finding W7 Activation Number without being able to Boot from the Drive

Discus and support Finding W7 Activation Number without being able to Boot from the Drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have several old Hard Drives from PC's I can no longer Boot from. Is there a way to find and record the Activation Number without being able to Boot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Mike Lynch, Nov 14, 2020.

1. Finding W7 Activation Number without being able to Boot from the Drive

I have several old Hard Drives from PC's I can no longer Boot from.

Is there a way to find and record the Activation Number without being able to Boot from their C: Drives?

Can I use a Hard Drive Dock of some sort and scan the Drive for the Activation Number with software?

I use the term Activation Number because I do not know what else to call it.

It's the Number you enter to Activate Windows / make Windows valid.

ANY ideas would be greatly appreciated!

:)

Mike Lynch, Nov 14, 2020

2. Finding W7 Activation Number without being able to Boot from the Drive

I have several old Hard Drives from PC's I can no longer Boot from.

Is there a way to find and record the Activation Number without being able to Boot from their C: Drives?

Can I use a Hard Drive Dock of some sort and scan the Drive for the Activation Number with software?

I use the term Activation Number because I do not know what else to call it.

It's the Number you enter to Activate Windows / make Windows valid.

ANY ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Mike Lynch, Nov 14, 2020
  3. tdug Win User
    Upgrading possible ? Dual boot (XP-32 / W7-64) to (XP-32 / W10-64)

Hi everybody,

I have a dual boot PC with Windows XP (32 bits) and Windows 7 (64 bits), both installed on a 500 Go SSD.

I have a 500 Go HDD for My documents, other data and games. Having two drives on a PC didn't cause any problem for upgrading W7 on another PC
    but there was no other OS.

My 2nd PC is declared to be W10 compatible.

The active partition is the one with XP. So the one with W7 is
    not active.

My two questions :

• Will the upgrade process be able to upgrade W7 even if it is not the active partition ?
    • Will XP and the dual boot persist ?
    Any experience with dual boot and W10 upgrading ?

4. Finding W7 Activation Number without being able to Boot from the Drive

Dual boot W7 and W10 activation

I have been running a W7 Pro OS for some years now. I have three hard drives installed.

I created a seperate 25GB partition (H) on one of the spare hard drives that was not the C drive.

I installed W10 from a downloaded "setup" app from MS.

On turning on the PC I get the choice of what OS to run, W7 or W10.

W7 runs just as it used to.

W10 loads and opens as I would expect, but is apparently not activated. It will not accept the W7 Key, and I don't know how to obtain the W10 activation Key. I had assumed that as W7 is activated and associated with the same mother board, that would allow
    me to use W10 fully activated as well. Can I activate W10 or must I puschase an activation key for W10 Pro, which seems to go against the MS offer of a free OS upgrade to holders of W7/8 licences.

Thanks for your help,

Regards

David D

DavidDownes, Nov 14, 2020
Thema:

Finding W7 Activation Number without being able to Boot from the Drive

1. Finding W7 Activation Number without being able to Boot from the Drive - Similar Threads - Finding Activation Number

2. Finding W7 Activation Number without being able to Boot from the Drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Finding W7 Activation Number without being able to Boot from the Drive: I have several old Hard Drives from PC's I can no longer Boot from. Is there a way to find and record the Activation Number without being able to Boot from their C: Drives? Can I use a Hard Drive Dock of some sort and scan the Drive for the Activation Number with software?...
  3. Not being able to log into account on Windows 10 without administrator

in Windows 10 Customization
    Not being able to log into account on Windows 10 without administrator: I was trying to log into my computer today and it worked the first time but when i tried to restart it it said “you cant sign in with this account. Try a different account”. That is my only account. I dont have admin on it either. I have tryed booting into safe mode but that...
  4. Not able to change from scientific formatting to number

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Not able to change from scientific formatting to number: Whenever I am starting a new spreadsheet, existing spreadsheet or a new file and writing number, it automatically shifting to scientific format. And when try to remove decimals it is changing to 0. This problem raised today itself and is there in every cell. Can anybody...
  5. Not being able to save files in drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Not being able to save files in drive: Ive had this problem from a long time, but it is that i cannot save files at my 2nd hard drive. Local Disk C: ended space and i need some, but i cant download stuff nor save stuff there. Any help?[ATTACH]...
  6. Not being able to boot from an external SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Not being able to boot from an external SSD: I extracted the M.2 SATA SSD from my desktop computer at work, in order for me to be able to work at home from that system. And inserted it into a SSD adaptor and then into my laptop, then booted the windows from the SSD and everything was fine (2 times). Arrived home and...
  7. Cannot find boot drive after being forced to update Windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot find boot drive after being forced to update Windows: I got a message that an update was required as support for my version of Windows 10 was not support as it was a version before April of 2018. However, after the update completed and the PC attempted a restart, I get an error that a boot drive is required and it will not load...
  8. Stuck in safe mode without being able to login

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Stuck in safe mode without being able to login: I used the msconfig command to boot up with Safe Mode on Windows 10. I made the mistake of selecting "Safe boot" as the option for loading Safe Mode. I restarted into Safe Mode without incident, but now I can ONLY enter safe mode after each restart. This would be fine if...
  9. Not able to find any games, as-well as not being able to sync any saves.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Not able to find any games, as-well as not being able to sync any saves.: This is hard to explain. This only seems to happen in games I have played previously - Forza Horizon 3 and Motorsport 7... Not Horizon 4 though. My first assumption as to why I wasn't able to play any games was Teredo, and surely enough some parameters were not in it's...
  10. M.2 SSD not being able to boot from it, windows doesn't recognise.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    M.2 SSD not being able to boot from it, windows doesn't recognise.: Good morning all Think this is my first post here, I recently upgraded my pc and I am having trouble installing windows 10 home on an Evo 500gig ssd m.2, the motherboard etc supports the m.2 but when I go into boot drive etc and choose to boot from disk, windows lists my...