Windows 10: Finding W7 Activation Number without being able to Boot from the Drive

Discus and support Finding W7 Activation Number without being able to Boot from the Drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have several old Hard Drives from PC's I can no longer Boot from. Is there a way to find and record the Activation Number without being able to Boot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Mike Lynch, Nov 14, 2020.

1. Finding W7 Activation Number without being able to Boot from the Drive

I have several old Hard Drives from PC's I can no longer Boot from.

Is there a way to find and record the Activation Number without being able to Boot from their C: Drives?

Can I use a Hard Drive Dock of some sort and scan the Drive for the Activation Number with software?

I use the term Activation Number because I do not know what else to call it.

It's the Number you enter to Activate Windows / make Windows valid.

ANY ideas would be greatly appreciated!

:)

Mike Lynch, Nov 14, 2020

2. Finding W7 Activation Number without being able to Boot from the Drive

I have several old Hard Drives from PC's I can no longer Boot from.

Is there a way to find and record the Activation Number without being able to Boot from their C: Drives?

Can I use a Hard Drive Dock of some sort and scan the Drive for the Activation Number with software?

I use the term Activation Number because I do not know what else to call it.

It's the Number you enter to Activate Windows / make Windows valid.

ANY ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Mike Lynch, Nov 14, 2020
  3. tdug Win User
    Upgrading possible ? Dual boot (XP-32 / W7-64) to (XP-32 / W10-64)

Hi everybody,

I have a dual boot PC with Windows XP (32 bits) and Windows 7 (64 bits), both installed on a 500 Go SSD.

I have a 500 Go HDD for My documents, other data and games. Having two drives on a PC didn't cause any problem for upgrading W7 on another PC
    but there was no other OS.

My 2nd PC is declared to be W10 compatible.

The active partition is the one with XP. So the one with W7 is
    not active.

My two questions :

• Will the upgrade process be able to upgrade W7 even if it is not the active partition ?
    • Will XP and the dual boot persist ?
    Any experience with dual boot and W10 upgrading ?

4. Finding W7 Activation Number without being able to Boot from the Drive

Dual boot W7 and W10 activation

I have been running a W7 Pro OS for some years now. I have three hard drives installed.

I created a seperate 25GB partition (H) on one of the spare hard drives that was not the C drive.

I installed W10 from a downloaded "setup" app from MS.

On turning on the PC I get the choice of what OS to run, W7 or W10.

W7 runs just as it used to.

W10 loads and opens as I would expect, but is apparently not activated. It will not accept the W7 Key, and I don't know how to obtain the W10 activation Key. I had assumed that as W7 is activated and associated with the same mother board, that would allow
    me to use W10 fully activated as well. Can I activate W10 or must I puschase an activation key for W10 Pro, which seems to go against the MS offer of a free OS upgrade to holders of W7/8 licences.

Thanks for your help,

Regards

David D

DavidDownes, Nov 14, 2020
Thema:

Finding W7 Activation Number without being able to Boot from the Drive

1. Finding W7 Activation Number without being able to Boot from the Drive - Similar Threads - Finding Activation Number

2. Not being able to connect with Microsoft Activation, after putting hard drive from old...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Not being able to connect with Microsoft Activation, after putting hard drive from old...: Hi, I have just changed my hard drives into a different casing as my old one would not turn on. Since this time my Microsoft will not activate, due to not being able to find the internet. I have a T Link extender router and it is connected to my internet. Any help would be...
  3. New Drive Not Being Able to Boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New Drive Not Being Able to Boot: Recently I have decided to upgrade my C drive to a much larger drive. I used Macrium Reflect to clone my C drive over to the new drive E Drive and it looks like everything worked properly although I'm having trouble booting into it. When I try changing the boot device in BIOS...
  4. New Drive Not Being Able to Boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New Drive Not Being Able to Boot: Recently I have decided to upgrade my C drive to a much larger drive. I used Macrium Reflect to clone my C drive over to the new drive E Drive and it looks like everything worked properly although I'm having trouble booting into it. When I try changing the boot device in BIOS...
  5. New Drive Not Being Able to Boot

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Not being able to boot into the bios

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not being able to boot into the bios: I recently setup a new pc and once it was up and running decided to install the drivers which in turn led me to downloaded the latest bios file.I performed the following steps for all of those drivers except biosDownload all folders to desktopUnzip thoseOpen them and run the...
  7. Not being able to boot into the bios

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Not being able to boot into the bios: I recently setup a new pc and once it was up and running decided to install the drivers which in turn led me to downloaded the latest bios file.I performed the following steps for all of those drivers except biosDownload all folders to desktopUnzip thoseOpen them and run the...
  8. Not being able to boot into the bios

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Finding W7 Activation Number without being able to Boot from the Drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Finding W7 Activation Number without being able to Boot from the Drive: I have several old Hard Drives from PC's I can no longer Boot from. Is there a way to find and record the Activation Number without being able to Boot from their C: Drives? Can I use a Hard Drive Dock of some sort and scan the Drive for the Activation Number with software?...
  10. Not being able to boot from an external SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Not being able to boot from an external SSD: I extracted the M.2 SATA SSD from my desktop computer at work, in order for me to be able to work at home from that system. And inserted it into a SSD adaptor and then into my laptop, then booted the windows from the SSD and everything was fine (2 times). Arrived home and...