Windows 10: Finding W7 Activation Number without being able to Boot from the Drive

Discus and support Finding W7 Activation Number without being able to Boot from the Drive in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have several old Hard Drives from PC's I can no longer Boot from. Is there a way to find and record the Activation Number without being able to Boot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Mike Lynch, Nov 15, 2020.

1. Finding W7 Activation Number without being able to Boot from the Drive

I have several old Hard Drives from PC's I can no longer Boot from.

Is there a way to find and record the Activation Number without being able to Boot from their C: Drives?

Can I use a Hard Drive Dock of some sort and scan the Drive for the Activation Number with software?

I use the term Activation Number because I do not know what else to call it.

It's the Number you enter to Activate Windows / make Windows valid.

ANY ideas would be greatly appreciated!

:)

Mike Lynch, Nov 15, 2020
  2. Bree Win User

Finding W7 Activation Number without being able to Boot from the Drive

That is how Windows 10 activation works, but it worked differently in Windows 7.

It's called the product key. ShowKeyPlus can retrieve the key from an offline system such as this one.

Finding W7 Activation Number without being able to Boot from the Drive [​IMG]

It can also check the edition of the key you have retrieved, just type it in..

Finding W7 Activation Number without being able to Boot from the Drive [​IMG]

An OEM:SLP (System Locked Pre-install) key such as this one is a generic key used by the OEM in all their pre-installed Window 7 images. It can only activate on the machine it was designed for, it requires a matching SLP marker from the same OEM to be present in the bios. When present Window 7 self-activates automatically without having to contact the activation servers.

As dalchina rightly says, only a Retail key would be transferable to another machine.

3. Finding W7 Activation Number without being able to Boot from the Drive

I have several old Hard Drives from PC's I can no longer Boot from.

Is there a way to find and record the Activation Number without being able to Boot from their C: Drives?

Can I use a Hard Drive Dock of some sort and scan the Drive for the Activation Number with software?

I use the term Activation Number because I do not know what else to call it.

It's the Number you enter to Activate Windows / make Windows valid.

ANY ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Mike Lynch, Nov 15, 2020
  4. Finding W7 Activation Number without being able to Boot from the Drive

Dalchina and Bree,

Thank you for your responses / suggestions!

If I understand you correctly, I can retrieve the Product Key(s) I am looking for by using a USB Drive Dock and Software products such as: Magic Jelly Bean / KeyFinder or ShowKeyPlus.

These Software products should return the Product Key(s) that I am looking for assuming the resources from the Hard Drives I want to search, are in tack.

I am anxious to try your suggestions and will report back after I try them later today.

Best regards,

PS Now I know I should be using the term Product Key for the item I am looking for.

- - - Updated - - -

As a test, I used KeyFinder on the C:\ drive of our running PC, this is what it found:

Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1
    Product Part No.: X15-37377
    Installed from 'OEM' media.
    Product ID: XXXXX-OEM-XXXXXXX-XXXXX match to CD Key data
    CD Key: XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
    Computer Name: LAUNDRYROOM
    Registered Owner: Camille
    Registered Organization: Hewlett-Packard Company

This is just what I wanted - Thanks again!

I will set up my external USB Dock and try it on the Drives in question.

Mike Lynch, Nov 15, 2020
Thema:

1. Finding W7 Activation Number without being able to Boot from the Drive - Similar Threads - Finding Activation Number

2. Not being able to connect with Microsoft Activation, after putting hard drive from old...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Not being able to connect with Microsoft Activation, after putting hard drive from old...: Hi, I have just changed my hard drives into a different casing as my old one would not turn on. Since this time my Microsoft will not activate, due to not being able to find the internet. I have a T Link extender router and it is connected to my internet. Any help would be...
  3. New Drive Not Being Able to Boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New Drive Not Being Able to Boot: Recently I have decided to upgrade my C drive to a much larger drive. I used Macrium Reflect to clone my C drive over to the new drive E Drive and it looks like everything worked properly although I'm having trouble booting into it. When I try changing the boot device in BIOS...
  4. New Drive Not Being Able to Boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New Drive Not Being Able to Boot: Recently I have decided to upgrade my C drive to a much larger drive. I used Macrium Reflect to clone my C drive over to the new drive E Drive and it looks like everything worked properly although I'm having trouble booting into it. When I try changing the boot device in BIOS...
  5. New Drive Not Being Able to Boot

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Not being able to boot into the bios

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not being able to boot into the bios: I recently setup a new pc and once it was up and running decided to install the drivers which in turn led me to downloaded the latest bios file.I performed the following steps for all of those drivers except biosDownload all folders to desktopUnzip thoseOpen them and run the...
  7. Not being able to boot into the bios

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Not being able to boot into the bios: I recently setup a new pc and once it was up and running decided to install the drivers which in turn led me to downloaded the latest bios file.I performed the following steps for all of those drivers except biosDownload all folders to desktopUnzip thoseOpen them and run the...
  8. Not being able to boot into the bios

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Finding W7 Activation Number without being able to Boot from the Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Finding W7 Activation Number without being able to Boot from the Drive: I have several old Hard Drives from PC's I can no longer Boot from. Is there a way to find and record the Activation Number without being able to Boot from their C: Drives? Can I use a Hard Drive Dock of some sort and scan the Drive for the Activation Number with software?...
  10. Not being able to boot from an external SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Not being able to boot from an external SSD: I extracted the M.2 SATA SSD from my desktop computer at work, in order for me to be able to work at home from that system. And inserted it into a SSD adaptor and then into my laptop, then booted the windows from the SSD and everything was fine (2 times). Arrived home and...