Windows 10: fingerprint driver not listed as biometric devices

Discus and support fingerprint driver not listed as biometric devices in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; i reinstalled windows from a USB stickclean install then windows there are no fingerprint device in my laptop but before reinstalation it was working... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by harish krishnan1, Mar 19, 2023.

1. fingerprint driver not listed as biometric devices

i reinstalled windows from a USB stickclean install then windows there are no fingerprint device in my laptop but before reinstalation it was working fine.

:)

harish krishnan1, Mar 19, 2023

2. biometric devices

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your inconvenience. We will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the methods provided below and check if it helps.

Method 1: Enable Biometric option.

I suggest you to enable the Biometrics to pick up the Biometrics setting. This option shall be enable by default. However, I recommend you to follow the steps provided below and check if it enable or not.

• Press Windows logo key + R key.
    • Type gpedit.msc and press
      Enter
      key.
    • Under Computer Configuration, navigate to.
    Administrative Templates Windows Components Biometrics

In the left hand panel of the Windows, double click on the following:

• Allow the use of biometrics
    • Allow users to log on using biometrics
    Select enable option and click on Apply and
    OK button.

Now, restart your computer and follow the instructions provided below.

After restarting the computer, I suggest you to disconnect and reconnect the fingerprint sensor device and check if the drivers are getting detected in Device Manager. If the issue still persist, follow method 2.

Method 2: Reinstall drivers and compatibility mode.

I suggest you to download and install the latest drives for fingerprint sensor device from the manufacture’s website and check if it gets detected.

If the issue still persist, you may also install the drivers in compatibility mode and check.

Follow the steps to install the drivers in compatibility mode.

• Download the drivers from the manufacturer’s website.
    • Right-click on the installer and click on "Properties".
    • Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box "Run this program in compatibility mode for” and select previous Operating System from the drop down.
    • Click on ‘Apply’ and click ‘OK’ and run the file to install it.

After installing the drivers in compatibility mode, follow the method 3 and check if you are able to get the sign in option with Biometric.

Method 3:

• Press Windows logo key + I key.
    • Click on Accounts.
    • Go to Sign in options.
    • The fingerprint option will always be visible if there is a WBF-supported fingerprint reader (and its associated driver) installed on the computer.

For more information, refer the following Microsoft help article.

Biometric Devices

Biometric Devices (Windows Drivers)

Hope it helps. Do let us know if your issue is resolved. For any further query, feel free to contact us.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Mar 19, 2023
  3. How to change from Microsoft a/c logon to biometric fingerprint logon

Hi Vince,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to enable the Biometrics to pick up the Biometrics setting. This option shall be enable by default. However, I recommend you to follow the steps provided below and check if it enable or not.

• Press Windows logo key + R key.
    • Type gpedit.msc and press Enter key.
    • Under Computer Configuration, navigate to.
    Administrative Templates Windows Components Biometrics

In the left hand panel of the Windows, double click on the following:

• Allow the use of biometrics
    • Allow users to log on using biometrics
    Select enable option and click on Apply and
    OK button.

Now, restart your computer and follow the instructions provided below.

After restarting the computer, I suggest you to disconnect and reconnect the fingerprint sensor device and check if the drivers are getting detected in Device Manager.

• Press Windows logo key + I key.
    • Click on Accounts.
    • Go to Sign in options.
    • The fingerprint option will always be visible if there is a WBF-supported fingerprint reader (and its associated driver) installed on the computer.
    For more information, refer the following Microsoft help article.

Biometric Devices

Biometric Devices (Windows Drivers)

Hope this information is helpful.

SujataMoktan, Mar 19, 2023
  4. fingerprint driver not listed as biometric devices

Synaptics Fingerprint Device Cannot Start

Hi,

Thank you! This really helped. Well for now. Read a part in a forum that the fingerprint problem relapses after a few weeks after a "fix". Here are the specific steps I did for others' reference:

1. Edited the following in the Local Group Policy Editor:

• Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Biometrics:
      • Allow the use of biometrics: Enabled
      • Allow users to log on using biometrics: Enabled
    • Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Biometrics > Facial Features:
      • Configure enhanced anti-spoofing: Disabled
    2. Uninstalled the device and driver from Device Manager

3. Shut down PC and wait for around 5 minutes before rebooting

4. After logging in, opened Device Manager and look for the "Unknown Device" and then Install Driver Online

5. Took about 10 minutes to download and install the new driver. Upon finishing, fingerprint will show the same error "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

6. Disabled the device and then before Enabling it again, I put my finger on the sensor.

7. SENSOR IS FIXED

PS. I think updating the BIOS and all also helped because I did it before doing the steps above

PaoRodulfo, Mar 19, 2023
Thema:

fingerprint driver not listed as biometric devices

1. fingerprint driver not listed as biometric devices - Similar Threads - fingerprint driver listed

2. Fingerprint scanner not showing in device manager and biometrics in settings.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fingerprint scanner not showing in device manager and biometrics in settings.: I have a fingerprint reader on the back of my device. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fingerprint-scanner-not-showing-in-device-manager/11e7b7d2-075c-4946-bdc1-49eace4ef387
  3. Fingerprint scanner not showing in device manager and biometrics in settings.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fingerprint scanner not showing in device manager and biometrics in settings.: I have a fingerprint reader on the back of my device. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fingerprint-scanner-not-showing-in-device-manager/11e7b7d2-075c-4946-bdc1-49eace4ef387
  4. Fingerprint scanner not showing in device manager and biometrics in settings.

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. fingerprint driver not listed as biometric devices

in Windows 10 Gaming
    fingerprint driver not listed as biometric devices: i reinstalled windows from a USB stickclean install then windows there are no fingerprint device in my laptop but before reinstalation it was working fine....
  6. Goodix Fingerprint Driver cannot find in device manager and the "Biometrics" option in the...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Goodix Fingerprint Driver cannot find in device manager and the "Biometrics" option in the...: My PC is Huawei Matebook D14 I3-10110U.After downgrading from windows 11 to windows 10,I have a fingerprint sensor in my power button. It is quite useless because of the fingerprint driver is lost and I did NOT uninstall the fingerprint driver.The Goodix Fingerprint SPI...
  7. Goodix Fingerprint Driver cannot find in device manager and the "Biometrics" option in the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Goodix Fingerprint Driver cannot find in device manager and the "Biometrics" option in the...: My PC is Huawei Matebook D14 I3-10110U.After downgrading from windows 11 to windows 10,I have a fingerprint sensor in my power button. It is quite useless because of the fingerprint driver is lost and I did NOT uninstall the fingerprint driver.The Goodix Fingerprint SPI...
  8. Goodix Fingerprint Driver cannot find in device manager and the "Biometrics" option in the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. Biometric devices vanished/fingerprint scanner

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Biometric devices vanished/fingerprint scanner: After 6 months of using new Lenovo laptop S740 ideapad and signing in with my fingerprint scanner it suddenly stopped working and vanished. Updated everything on Lenovo site and still missing...Yes, my windows did an update...I cannot access the Hello sign-in options as it...
  10. Biometric fingerprint scanner suggestion

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Biometric fingerprint scanner suggestion: I would like if Windows Hello added some way for me to use my fingerprint scanner to login to my computer games Everquest 2, Diablo 3 and future versions. If I could just swipe my fingerprint and get in my games faster that would be AWESOME! Oh and add a topic for...