Windows 10: fingerprint login not working

Discus and support fingerprint login not working in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hello, My computer is only about 2 months old (ver 1909). A couple of days ago, my fingerprint reader suddenly stopped working. I've deleted the... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by 3point1, Sep 25, 2020.

1. 3point1 Win User

fingerprint login not working

Hello,
    My computer is only about 2 months old (ver 1909). A couple of days ago, my fingerprint reader suddenly stopped working. I've deleted the original scan and tried to re-set it up, but the scanner isn't even looking at my fingerprint. How can I fix it?

EDIT - I fixed it myself - uninstalled the device.

Admin - can you please delete this post?

:)

3point1, Sep 25, 2020

2. Fingerprint removed during upgrade and i can't login !!

Hi Firas,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10.

I suggest you to login to the guest account and update the drivers for fingerprint by following the steps below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key + R and type “devmgmt.msc” and press Enter.
    • Right click on the driver for Fingerprint and select the option to update the driver and follow the prompts to update.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to
    write to us for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Sep 25, 2020
  3. fingerprint swipe quit working.

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it fixes the issue.

Method 1: Run Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter

Follow these steps to run Hardware and Devices troubleshooter:

• Press Windows key + W and type troubleshooting.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Click Hardware and Devices.
    • Follow the on-screen instruction to run the troubleshooter.
    Method 2: Uninstall and reinstall the driver

I suggest you to try uninstall the fingerprint
    drivers check if it works for you.

Follow the steps to uninstall the Fingerprint
    drivers:

• Press Windows Key + X key and click Device Manager.
    • Right-click on the Fingerprint device listed and click on ‘Uninstall’.
    • Select the option to Delete driver software.
    • Restart the computer after its uninstalled.
    Try to access the device manufacturer's website and download and install the latest chipset and Fingerprint
    drivers.

Method 3

If issue still persists, I suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the Fingerprint
    drivers in Compatibility mode and check if it works:

Follow the steps to uninstall the Fingerprint
    driver:

• Press Windows Key + X key.
    • Click on Device Manager.
    • Right-click on the Fingerprint device listed and click on ‘Uninstall’.
    • Select the option to Delete driver software.
    • Restart the computer after its uninstalled.
    Now download the drivers the manufacturer website and install it in Windows 8.1 compatibility mode. Follow the steps provided below to install the drivers in compatibility mode:

• Right-click on the driver setup file and click on ‘properties’.
    • Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box "Run this program in compatibility mode for” and select Windows 8.1 operating system from the drop down.
    • Click on ‘Apply’ and click ‘OK’ and run the file to install it.
    Hope this will fix the issue, if not let us know with the updated status and we will be happy to assist you further.

Mann_Manohar, Sep 25, 2020
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Windows Hello Fingerprint issue

Hi Rajesh,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand that you are unable to use Windows Hello Fingerprint to sign in to Windows. It would be great if you can reply with the details requested below:

• When you say, “I am not getting the option to log-in into windows using fingerprint.” What login options do you see on the login screen?
    • What happens when you try to use the Windows Hello Fingerprint scanner to login to Windows?
    • Were you able to use the Windows Hello Fingerprint to login to Windows earlier?

Ideally, on the login screen, you will see Sign-in options that allows you to use different sign-in methods to login to Windows.

As you have mentioned that you are able to use the Fingerprint scanner on websites, I would suggest you to refer the steps mentioned below and see if that helps:

1. On the login screen, click on Sign-in options.
    2. Click on the Fingerprint icon, scan the Fingerprint, and see if you are able to sign in.

Refer the screenshot below:

fingerprint login not working fc087693-5104-47d8-960f-4d6097885918?upload=true.jpg

If the issue persists, try removing the Fingerprint and add it again. Refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + I, to open
      Settings
    2. Click on Accounts and click on
      Sign-in options
      on the left pane.
    3. Now, click on Windows Hello Fingerprint and click on
      Remove.
    4. Follow the on-screen instructions to remove the Fingerprint.
    5. Once done, click on Set up and follow the on-screen instructions to add the Fingerprint.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Sep 25, 2020
Thema:

1. fingerprint login not working - Similar Threads - fingerprint login working

2. Fingerprint login

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Fingerprint login: Hello trying to get finger print login to work again. Yesterday it was working fine today it isn't. I can't get anything to work what do i do? I cannot even get a hold of anyone with microsoft on this matter over the phone and there is no dust in my finger print scan spot. I...
  3. Fingerprint Login only works half of the time

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Fingerprint Login only works half of the time: Hello everyone, I use a Huawei Matebook D 14 from 2018. The fingerprint Login worked really good until a month or so. Now it only works 50% of the time. When it doesn't work, it says that it doesn't recognize my finger. Well, at first seems like it works, and after a second...
  4. Fingerprint login not working

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Fingerprint login not working: Hi, everytime i try and login through bio metrics, it says "somthing went wrong and our end". Its been doing this for about a month now. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fingerprint-login-not-working/00c298d4-58ef-4b70-a1d0-704bb8c50e82
  5. Fingerprint Windows 10 Login does not work

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Fingerprint Windows 10 Login does not work: Well, actually, it does work, after waiting overnight after a re-boot. I tried 4-5 hours, and it works. But, for a test I am doing now, still won't work at 90 minutes after re-boot. Once it is working, I can logoff the User and log back in using the fingerprint. But, if...
  6. Fingerprint unavailable with domain login but working with localadmin

Fingerprint unavailable with domain login but working with localadmin: So I have a brand new work laptop with Win 10 Pro Version 1903 OS Build 18362.1016. I have a domain user setup as my main acct and a local admin acct. Both are admin level accts. The biometrics signons are all available and work with the local admin acct. With my domain...
  7. Fingerprint login stopped working

Fingerprint login stopped working: I have a Lenovo 540 yoga laptop. The fingerprint login stopped working after a recent windows update. this is the message I get [ATTACH] I have tried stopping the biometric using del c:\windows\system32\WinBioDatabase\...
  8. Fingerprint Login

Fingerprint Login: I got a new Lenovo Yoga C940-14IIL and the fingerprint login stopped working after a day. I get a message saying "your credentials could not be verified" It looks like the scanner is fine. It lights up and recognizes my account but then give me the error above. I then have to...
  9. Help with Fingerprint login

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Help with Fingerprint login: I had set up fingerprint previously on this account for my laptop. Then I reinstalled windows several times. But now if want to set fingerprint on my device it says fingerprint is associated with another account. How can I set up my fingerprint and how to remove previous...
  10. Fingerprint login when working from home

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Fingerprint login when working from home: With windows 8.1, using the Lenovo software that came with my work laptop, once I used the fingerprint login method at least once at work, I could also use it at home. With Windows 10, using the Microsoft-provided fingerprint registration tool, I can't login using the...