Windows 10: Fingerprint reader no longer working

Discus and support Fingerprint reader no longer working in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Came home this afternoon and noticed the fingerprint reader isn't working. I logged on using my password. I settings I see something called 'Windows... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by bobbylonghare, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Fingerprint reader no longer working

Came home this afternoon and noticed the fingerprint reader isn't working. I logged on using my password. I settings I see something called 'Windows Hello Face' and Windows Hello Fingerprint', both marked currently unavailable. 'Windows Hello Pin' seems to be OK.

When I click on the Fingerprint it says there is no compatible reader. I am using an HP Envy and been using the fingerprint reader for years.

The hardware manager says the reader is not working properly because Windows can't load the driver but if I try to update the driver, it says it is already at the latest level

The display in the hardware driver is:

Biometric devices

Validity sensors (WBF) (PID=0050)

1) Where did 'Windows Hello xxx' come from

2) Any ideas how to get the reader working again?

Bobby

:)

bobbylonghare, Sep 23, 2019

2. Fingerprint Reader not working on Windows 10

I can't troubleshoot my device if it isn't allowed to load. I have attached images displaying my device and the most recent update attempt.
    Fingerprint reader no longer working f7010e7f-8710-4aa8-8bac-880e24be6f19.png

My fingerprint reader was working when I upgraded to Windows 10, but after a system refresh, it no longer works. I know that I have the correct drivers installed as they are the ones that came with my computer's setup files.

Fingerprint reader no longer working 6bc019d4-c502-4c2c-acfe-a7cbe53716be.png

Something else may be preventing my reader from working. Please clarify Code 31.

This question isn't answered unless all instances of this problem are put to rest.

MassTransitKrow, Sep 23, 2019
  3. Fingerprint Reader not working on Windows 10

Hi Kayleigh,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

As you are facing issues with accessing Fingerprint reader on Windows 10, do let us know the following to assist you better:

• What is the make and model of your device?
    • What is the device status in Device Manager along with exclamatory mark?

I suggest you to try few of the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Method 1: Run Hardware troubleshooter as it will help in resolving the issues with hardware and resolve any simple issues found.

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, click on
      Control Panel.
    • In the Control Panel window, select Category and then select
      Large icons.
    • Click on Troubleshooting, click on
      view all option on the upper left corner.
    • Select the Hardware and Device
      options from the list.
    • Click Next and follow the on-screen instructions.

Method 2: I suggest you to update the drivers for Fingerprint Reader in Device Manager:

Steps:

• Right click on Windows key from the desktop and click on
      Device Manager.
    • Expand Human Interface Devices, right click on the
      Fingerprint driver and select Update Driver Software
    • Check if you are able to access the device.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with the required information and updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Sep 23, 2019
  4. Julie Ram Win User

Fingerprint reader no longer working

Fingerprint readers don't work

Hi,

Windows seems to treat the P5100 as a swipe sensor and not a touch one. Let's get your device connected, to do that, try following the steps below and see how it goes:

• Disconnect your fingerprint reader.
    • Uninstall both drivers.
    • Restart.
    • Then connect any of the drivers.

As mentioned above, the drivers are detected by the system and everything should run smoothly. If you still experience the issue after performing the steps, we advise you to contact your device manufacturer for configuration.

Julie Ram, Sep 23, 2019
Thema:

Fingerprint reader no longer working

1. Fingerprint reader no longer working - Similar Threads - Fingerprint reader longer

2. my fingerprint reader no longer works with windows11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my fingerprint reader no longer works with windows11: Since I updated my computer to Windows 11, my fingerprint reader no longer works. if I go to Windows Hello settings it tells me that it is currently not available. but if I go to device management, there is the ELAN:FINGERPRINT program but it doesn't work. what should I do?...
  3. my fingerprint reader no longer works with windows11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    my fingerprint reader no longer works with windows11: Since I updated my computer to Windows 11, my fingerprint reader no longer works. if I go to Windows Hello settings it tells me that it is currently not available. but if I go to device management, there is the ELAN:FINGERPRINT program but it doesn't work. what should I do?...
  4. My fingerprint reader no longer reads fingerprints

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My fingerprint reader no longer reads fingerprints: A few days ago my fingerprint reader stopped recognizing my fingerprint. I tried to add a new one to see if it was just a problem with one finger, but it can't read anything anymore. When I try to unlock my computer it says that the reader can't recognize the fingerprint any...
  5. My fingerprint reader no longer reads fingerprints

My fingerprint reader no longer reads fingerprints: A few days ago my fingerprint reader stopped recognizing my fingerprint. I tried to add a new one to see if it was just a problem with one finger, but it can't read anything anymore. When I try to unlock my computer it says that the reader can't recognize the fingerprint any...
  6. Fingerprint Reader Not Working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fingerprint Reader Not Working.: Hello, my fingerprint scanner on my ASUS laptop had suddenly stopped working. A few hours ago, it was perfectly fine and running until I tried to unlock my laptop after a while, and nothing was happening. On settings, it says 'Windows Hello is not compatible with this device'...
  7. Fingerprint Reader not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fingerprint Reader not working: I recently reinstalled windows 10 on my Laptop and now my fingerprint reader doesn't work. Help is appreciated. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fingerprint-reader-not-working/c071cc9e-b799-4450-a3c5-57f33a3d16f5
  8. Fingerprint Reader not working

Fingerprint Reader not working: I recently reinstalled windows 10 on my Laptop and now my fingerprint reader doesn't work. Help is appreciated. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fingerprint-reader-not-working/c071cc9e-b799-4450-a3c5-57f33a3d16f5
  9. My fingerprint reader no longer works

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    My fingerprint reader no longer works: When I first got my device, my fingerprint reader didn't work until I updated the driver. A few weeks later, it stopped functioning properly. It thinks I'm always touching it, so when setting it up, it just immediately jumps to "Great, touch the sensor again" and doesn't...
  10. Fingerprint reader not working

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Fingerprint reader not working: I have a digitalpersona U.are.U 4500 fingerprint reader. I've installed drivers for it and Device Manager recognizes it as a biometric device. I want to use it with Windows hello but settings for Windows hello are not available. I've updated local Group policy settings to...