Windows 10: FingerPrint - Without Windows Hello PIN

Discus and support FingerPrint - Without Windows Hello PIN in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I'm hoping there is an MS moderator on board to review this and act. I've seen this question posted by others and want to reiterate that, as an... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Green_Horse, Feb 12, 2019.

1. FingerPrint - Without Windows Hello PIN

I'm hoping there is an MS moderator on board to review this and act.

I've seen this question posted by others and want to reiterate that, as an admin, I am appalled that there is no way to setup fingerprint authentication on a domain computer without also enabling PIN number authentication. When I first saw this limitation I thought it was telling us we needed 2 factor authentication, which would have been undesirable but understandable. It completely freaked me out when I realized that it was actually requiring that we allow three types of authentication be active at once, including a PIN number with as little as 6 digits and,

presumably, no expiration.

Use of this feature with the Microsoft Biometric Keyboard is amazing but, a security nightmare. Can you please share with your Trusted Computing team my concern?

:)

Green_Horse, Feb 12, 2019
  2. chris_80 Win User

Windows Hello - PIN and Fingerprint not working anymore

First, this is similar with
    this question
    , but that thread is locked with no solution.

After some months of fingerprint login working fine, after some update few months ago fingerprint stopped working, error message like "windows hello encountered a problem and stopped working".

- noticed that PIN is not set up anymore

- tried to set up PIN or fingerprint - not working (fingerprint sensor was not even recognized by Hello, even though Dell tools verification was ok).

- reinstalled fingerprint sensor driver, managed to determine Hello to find sensor and allowed to set up fingerprint until near the end when it requested for a PIN to be setup. asked for my password but the next screen (to enter PIN twice) never appears

- deleted Ngc folder, recreated, managed to set up PIN individually

- when I try to set up fingerprint click on Get Started, asks for PIN, and after I enter the PIN the popup disappear but does't go to the next step with sensor, stays there with only the Cancel button visible.

To answer obvious questions:

- windows updates done. no change

- new account created and tried to set up. same issues with fingerprint setup, at the end not setting up PIN or I set up PIN separately on fingerprint start does not go further than entering PIN after Get Started.

chris_80, Feb 12, 2019
  3. Billy'M Win User
    Windows Hello fingerprint and PIN setup crashes

Thanks for the tip. For clarity if others have this issue steps to resolve were as follows:

1. Remove old PIN and finger print from sign in settings

2. From BIOS change security chip from TPM to Intel PTY

3. From bios erase fingerprint data

4. Setup new pin and fingerprint from wondows hello, it is now working!

Billy'M, Feb 12, 2019
  4. FingerPrint - Without Windows Hello PIN

Windows Hello fingerprint and PIN setup crashes

Hey guys.

I got a new Lenovo X1 Yoga laptop with a fingerprint scanner, but for some reason Windows Hello won't set up. It worked initially, but I've had to do a few clean installs due to other problems and now it just
    doesn't function at all.

I click on set-up fingerprint. I then enter the fingerprint, and it asks for my windows password before asking me to setup a PIN code. When I enter the PIN code and press 'OK' nothing happens at all. I also
    tried try to do it on a fresh install of windows and it just says 'there was an error creating a pin code.'

I've looked everywhere for an answer to this, but can't find one. However, if I want to setup just a PIN without setting up the fingerprint it will let me. If I setup the PIN first and then go to setup fingerprint
    it wo't even show the fingerprint scanner after it asks for my PIN for confirmation.

Any suggestions or help are much appreciated! (I found that many people have this exact same problem with no solution yet)

Specs

Windows 10

i7, 8 GB RAM, etc..

Carlos A Mora, Feb 12, 2019
Thema:

FingerPrint - Without Windows Hello PIN

1. FingerPrint - Without Windows Hello PIN - Similar Threads - FingerPrint Without Hello

2. Using fingerprint WITHOUT Windows Hello on Win11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Using fingerprint WITHOUT Windows Hello on Win11: I would like to use fingerprint login for some apps but don't want to activate Windows Hello which would then require I use that every time I leave my computer. My computer is in my secure home and I only want to use a fingerprint to log into apps. Can this be done?...
  3. Hello Fingerprint and pin

Hello Fingerprint and pin: Is it possible to block only PIN usage for end users? They will be able to continue using fingerprint biometrics. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hello-fingerprint-and-pin/0b960f18-2133-4be5-bd22-3a8f7d77f3db
  4. Hello Fingerprint and pin

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Hello Fingerprint and pin: Is it possible to block only PIN usage for end users? They will be able to continue using fingerprint biometrics. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hello-fingerprint-and-pin/0b960f18-2133-4be5-bd22-3a8f7d77f3db
  5. Hello Fingerprint and pin

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. Option to Setup Fingerprint Without PIN Windows Hello

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Option to Setup Fingerprint Without PIN Windows Hello: I just got a new laptop that has a fingerprint sensor... I added my fingerprint, but then Windows Hello asked me to add a PIN. I closed the dialog since I don't want a PIN as that is less secure than my password on my local user account. After this, I locked the computer and...
  7. Option to Setup Fingerprint Without PIN Windows Hello

Option to Setup Fingerprint Without PIN Windows Hello: I just got a new laptop that has a fingerprint sensor... I added my fingerprint, but then Windows Hello asked me to add a PIN. I closed the dialog since I don't want a PIN as that is less secure than my password on my local user account. After this, I locked the computer and...
  8. Having issue with Windows Hello Pin and Windows hello Fingerprint

Having issue with Windows Hello Pin and Windows hello Fingerprint: I am having the issue of the hello window, it's says "this option is currently unavailable", "something went wrong . Please try again later" with yellow word with Windows Hello Pin and Window Hello Fingerprint. I have the pin and the fingerprint but i just can't change it or...
  9. Windows Hello Face, Fingerprint, PIN

Windows Hello Face, Fingerprint, PIN: Hi, I just bought an Asus vivobook S15 S533, and all those windows hello sign-in options are sadly unavailable. I have tried as many steps I found online and in the community website but ffs nothing work. Idk what to do anymore. Please, I want to enjoy those features too...
  10. Enable Fingerprint Sign In Without PIN Sign In (Windows Hello)

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Enable Fingerprint Sign In Without PIN Sign In (Windows Hello): So I just reinstalled Windows 10 on my machine. Before I had it set up so that I could log in with a password or fingerprint. Now it seems my only options are (1) password only OR (2) password, PIN or fingerprint. I don't want PIN as a sign in option. But I have to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows fingerprint without pin

2. windows 10 how to have fingerprint without pin

3. windows hello without pin

4. windows 10 fingerprint without pin,
  5. windows 10 fingerprint setup without pin,
  6. widnows hello asks for pin and fingerprint,
  7. fingerprint pin windows hello,
  8. use fingerprint without windows hello,
  9. Windows Hello & Pin Login NOT available on login screen Microsoft