Windows 10: finish setting up my device after restart but not re-open apps

Discus and support finish setting up my device after restart but not re-open apps in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I noticed after Windows 10 restart when I'd left my apps open that they re-opened... which I don't want. (side-note: I usually close them first due to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by witefoda, Feb 9, 2020.

1. witefoda Win User

finish setting up my device after restart but not re-open apps

I noticed after Windows 10 restart when I'd left my apps open that they re-opened... which I don't want. (side-note: I usually close them first due to weird issues in Windows 7, but I noticed that I'm not having that issue in 10 now)

I found the toggle for the setting in Settings > Accounts > Sign-in > Privacy in "Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device and reopen my apps after an update or restart".

However, I want Windows to automatically finish setting up my device after update or restart, but I don't want it to open up apps that were open when I rebooted or shut down (unless it's required for the update).

Am I misunderstanding what "finish setting up my device" means? I thought it meant: "after an update, when it prompts me to reboot, it'll finish the update all by itself". Well, I want the update to finish automatically without it being tied to re-opening apps I had open before a restart that have nothing to do with the update.

:)

witefoda, Feb 9, 2020
  2. Brink Win User

Mail app will not open on 10041.

Hello Adam,

This is the suggested solution below if you haven't already tried it. finish setting up my device after restart but not re-open apps :)

In this Windows 10 build 10041, the Mail, Calendar, and People apps may be broken due to a licensing issue with the Store Beta. To get these apps working again, you need to follow these steps:

• Open powershell as administrator
    • Run the command Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online
    • Re-install Mail, People and Calendar from the Store (green tile)

Brink, Feb 9, 2020
  3. philc43 Win User
    Cannot open mail app settings

OK, my next suggestion was going to be uninstalling Mail and Calendar and reinstalling from the Windows Store. You can have a go at this by following these steps.

1. Open the Start menu, type Windows PowerShell.
    2. Right click on the Windows PowerShell and select Run as administrator.
    3. Enter the below command to remove the Mail and calendar app.

get-appxpackage *microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps* | remove-appxpackage

After performing the above steps, install the Mail and calendar app from the Windows Store.

Hope this helps, you will, of course, have to add you accounts back again.

philc43, Feb 9, 2020
  4. finish setting up my device after restart but not re-open apps

Open settings of Windows 8 App

Hi Thomas,

In response to your query, please be informed that Windows 10 is in the list of supported operating system for Modern Reader. Also, the swipe from the right option is for Windows 8 and 8.1 therefore, that step will not open the settings. However, most
    apps have their own settings, therefore, I suggest you to look for a gear icon in the app and check if you are able to find the option you are looking for.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Wungraileng Vashi, Feb 9, 2020
Thema:

finish setting up my device after restart but not re-open apps

1. finish setting up my device after restart but not re-open apps - Similar Threads - finish setting device

2. your computer needs to restart to finish setting up this device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    your computer needs to restart to finish setting up this device: I've searched the issue on online, none of available solution worked and I just gone ahead and uninstall the latest installed firmware and get rid of...
  3. your computer needs to restart to finish setting up this device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    your computer needs to restart to finish setting up this device: I've searched the issue on online, none of available solution worked and I just gone ahead and uninstall the latest installed firmware and get rid of...
  4. My laptop keeps telling me to restart it to finish setting up device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop keeps telling me to restart it to finish setting up device: I keep on getting a "restart required" notification every time I boot my Lenovo laptop up.The notification says "Your PC needs to be restarted to finish setting up this device. Lenovo System Firmware 1.27.0.0"Also, I ran a windows update troubleshooter and it would say...
  5. My laptop keeps telling me to restart it to finish setting up device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My laptop keeps telling me to restart it to finish setting up device: I keep on getting a "restart required" notification every time I boot my Lenovo laptop up.The notification says "Your PC needs to be restarted to finish setting up this device. Lenovo System Firmware 1.27.0.0"Also, I ran a windows update troubleshooter and it would say...
  6. My laptop keeps telling me to restart it to finish setting up device.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My laptop keeps telling me to restart it to finish setting up device.: I keep on getting "restart required" notification every time I boot my Lenovo laptop up.The notification says "Your PC needs to be restarted to finish setting up this device. Lenovo System Firmware 1.13.0.0"I have tried restarting my laptop but it keeps on showing me that...
  7. My laptop keeps telling me to restart it to finish setting up device.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop keeps telling me to restart it to finish setting up device.: I keep on getting "restart required" notification every time I boot my Lenovo laptop up.The notification says "Your PC needs to be restarted to finish setting up this device. Lenovo System Firmware 1.13.0.0"I have tried restarting my laptop but it keeps on showing me that...
  8. Your PC needs to be restarted to finish setting up this device

in Windows 10 Support
    Your PC needs to be restarted to finish setting up this device: Hello, Tonight I did a Windows Update and somehow something got screwed up. 1. When I start my computer, I get the BIOS cannot be updated message, but it will continue to load to the desktop eventually. 2. Once I get to the desktop, I see the following message: Your pc...
  9. Stop re-opening of apps after restart!!!

in Windows 10 Customization
    Stop re-opening of apps after restart!!!: I have a problem where every time I restart my computer, Chrome opens a new window. Either it'll open my previous tabs, or if I beat it to it, it'll open a new window. This happens about 1 minute after logging in. I know that Win10 devs, in all their glorious lack of...
  10. Keep getting "restart to finish setting up devices"

in Windows 10 Customization
    Keep getting "restart to finish setting up devices": I just got a new Surface Book 2 (15 inch, i7, GTX1060). Took quite a while to install all the updates (including 1803), and now I keep getting an alert every time I turn on that asks me to restart the computer to finish setting up devices. The device manager shows the...