Windows 10: Finished Windows 10 updates, now nothing works

Discus and support Finished Windows 10 updates, now nothing works in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; If you want to get rid of the problematic update, this could work. This method is if you are on the computer right NOW. If you can use your taskbar... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Dillo64, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Dillo64 Win User

Finished Windows 10 updates, now nothing works

I uninstalled a couple of the security updates that were done the day this started happening and restarted, but no change. There's a ton of MS Office updates that were done the same day, I guess I'll uninstall them all one by one....

Thanks for all the help you guys, if this still doesn't work I might just try the clean install... really stinks though if this keeps happening with every new update, especially if they're mandatory...

Dillo64, Nov 10, 2016
  2. nt62 Win User

Windows updates can ALL be blocked 100% if you have PRO and / or a higher version
    that can access gpedit.msc (the group policy editor) [ NOT RECOMMENDED ]

I am not aware of a registry fix for this without the policy editor.
    Perhaps someone else could share that information.

HOME versions do not include access to gpedit.msc (the group policy editor)

I will be posting a "chillout room" thread about this in a few minutes. title > (142370 views) *cake

Again Best Luck *Smile

3. mrgeek Win User
    "if this still doesn't work I might just try the clean install... really stinks though if this keeps happening with every new update, especially if they're mandatory..."
    I recently encountered the internet connection problem on another PC that I service via Teamviewer. The Update was interrupted and the package needed to be manually dl'd and reinstalled. Barring that, try downloading the Windows 10 ISO from here, being careful to dl the correct version and bit depth. Use another PC if your internet connection is broken and put it on a USB and move to desktop since you can, at least, get to that -
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft.../windows10ISO/
    When done, r-click the ISO and 'Mount', run setup.exe to reinstall Win10 (you'll have a choice to keep files and apps). This should repair the install. Then run Windows Update again, if all is good at that point. Good Luck.

mrgeek, Nov 10, 2016
  4. Steve C Win User

Your repair attempts should be done in this order:
    • Use a previous restore point - but this fails?
    • Recover from a backup system image. If you don't have one, you should start using reliable backup software like Macrium Reflect Free
    • Do an in place repair install - see Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade This keeps all your programs and settings unlike a clean install.
    • Clean install Windows 10 (last resort).

Step 3 will save you much time compared to step 4.

Steve C, Nov 10, 2016
  5. nt62 Win User
    Nice Steve C.

Consider:
    1 > fails
    2 > no image available
    3 > see post 1, 9, 13

It is unclear if broken programs will suddenly be repaired when upgrading an operating system.

Restore points ineffective. - post 9

Unable to reset. - post 13

Network failures - post 1

cannot get right click menus - see post 1

Never been a fan of Macrium or Microsoft Backup imaging.
    Prefer other.
    Hopefully - an "in place" will work.
    Everything depends on the hardware.
    If the device is slow - this could take days.
    If the device is fast - it could take minutes.

An in-place might take several hours, if even possible.
    Again, depending on hardware viability / performance,
    a clean install on unallocated space could be achieved in less than 20 minutes.

This is assuming the OP has installation media.
    Otherwise, the OP will have to create installation media, if possible.

It is always problematic to try and repair an operating system upon which
    the user is intent to keep data.

Imaging and operating system installs are a skill.
    Installing to unallocated space / a wiped drive / > is reliable,
    unless there are hardware anomalies.

Or my preference (much faster) -

the use of a Linux thumb that has GParted on it
    and just delete the partitions on it and create a new partition table.

In any event - the OP defined the device as a Lenovo idea pad laptop.
    We don't know anything about it or the data on it.
    Lenovo does provide restoration media if requested.

6. Winuser Win User
    I would try a repair install first. Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

Winuser, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Finished Windows 10 updates, now nothing works - Similar Threads - Finished updates nothing

2. windows update from 10 to 11 and now nothing works

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows update from 10 to 11 and now nothing works: my new laptop tried to update to windows 11 and now i can't access any files or windows apps etc. i can go online via chrome but can't do anything else. I have tried uninstalling updates as well as pc recovery but neither fixed the problem. I get a message to sign out of...
  3. windows update from 10 to 11 and now nothing works

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows update from 10 to 11 and now nothing works: my new laptop tried to update to windows 11 and now i can't access any files or windows apps etc. i can go online via chrome but can't do anything else. I have tried uninstalling updates as well as pc recovery but neither fixed the problem. I get a message to sign out of...
  4. windows update from 10 to 11 and now nothing works

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 10 update will not finish.

Windows 10 update will not finish.: my latest update will not complete and removes it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-update-will-not-finish/cd65261d-4cb0-47e4-bbf8-c665cd67a6e0
  6. Windows 10 update will not finish.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 update will not finish.: my latest update will not complete and removes it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-10-update-will-not-finish/cd65261d-4cb0-47e4-bbf8-c665cd67a6e0
  7. Windows Update 2.8.2019 now nothing seems to work

Windows Update 2.8.2019 now nothing seems to work: It seems that since a windows update on the 2nd August 019 nothing seems to work properly. I can't even get the screen to activate printing. The software I use for invoicing freezes up which I try to print. Microsoft word freeze. Everything was working fine - should I restore...
  8. windows update 11/16/18, now nothing works

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows update 11/16/18, now nothing works: After the update the system powers on and brings me to the sign on screen which has my name. I sign on and the screen is black and no desktop only the recycle bin. The menu is on the bottom but none of the keys work. It has the correct date and time. How do I get out of this...
  9. Since Windows 10 update nothing works

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Since Windows 10 update nothing works: I have no desktop, no icons, no apps - anything apart from internet. I can access control panel by windows button + R and type it in there but that's about it. I thought about factory reset but cannot access the settings. When I click on or press windows - nothing....
  10. Windows 10 update, now absolutely nothing initializes.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 update, now absolutely nothing initializes.: Last night, my main PC installed an update on its own. This morning, I started it to find that it needed to configure the update, so I waited. When It rebooted, it came to this black screen about initializing watchdog service, and after it finished, that is where it would...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. updated windows 10 and now nothing works

2. windows 10 update nothing works