Windows 10: Firefox 57

Discus and support Firefox 57 in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I see that 57 is available. I have a laptop at 55 and a desktop at 56. But I'm unwilling to move up to 57 until I'm clear on one point ... My... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by margrave55, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Firefox 57

I see that 57 is available.
    I have a laptop at 55 and a desktop at 56.

But I'm unwilling to move up to 57 until I'm clear on one point ...

My plugins/extensions all say "compatible with multi-process" ... except for one: ScrapBook X.
    Will that not work with FF 57 ?
    Or, in general, does "not compatible with multi-process" mean "will not work with FF 57" ?

:)

margrave55, Nov 13, 2017

2. URL status bar at bottom left hand side of screen

If you are running Firefox 57, it breaks compatibility with older XUL extension. You might need to downgrade to Firefox 56 or Long Term Release so you can use Status-4-Evar.

Andre Da Costa, Nov 13, 2017
  3. boycie101 Win User
    boycie101, Nov 13, 2017
  4. Firefox 57

Just because it is Multi Process compatible, does not mean it is 100% compatible with Fx 57. It depends on how many Extensions you have like that as they will possibly slow down your browser. I would check in the new AMO to see if there are similiar extensions that are compatible, with 57.

Add-ons for Firefox

At some point these extensions if not made compatible will stop working.

Josey Wales, Nov 13, 2017
  5. 57 version of Mozilla Firefox must be beta version because current version is Mozilla Firefox 56.

FreeBooter, Nov 13, 2017
  6. Wrong Just wrong

Directory Listing: /pub/firefox/releases/57.0/

Type Name Size Last Modified Dir .. Dir linux-i686/ Dir linux-x86_64/ Dir mac-EME-free/ Dir mac/ Dir source/ Dir update/ Dir win32-EME-free/ Dir win32/ Dir win64-EME-free/ Dir win64/ File KEY 18K 13-Nov-2017 10:40 File SHA256SUMMARY 3M 13-Nov-2017 10:40 File SHA256SUMS 407K 13-Nov-2017 10:40 File SHA256SUMS.asc 836 13-Nov-2017 10:40 File SHA512SUMMARY 5M 13-Nov-2017 10:40 File SHA512SUMS 645K 13-Nov-2017 10:40 File SHA512SUMS.asc 836 13-Nov-2017 10:40

7. Thanks for this ...
    I checked my add-ons:
    - Classic Theme Restorer
    - ScrapBook X
    - Tab Mix Plus

These are said to be "not compatible with Quantum".
    Shall I take it that "Quantum" means Firefox 57 ?

margrave55, Nov 13, 2017
  8. Firefox 57

Tab Mix Plus may never work do not try to use it yet. Quantum Means Firefox 57. The 3 you have listed will break Firefox 57.

9. Barman58 Win User
    I updated Firefox as soon as I was aware of the changes coming in Quantum (57) - I upgraded to Chrome.

I started with firefox before it was Firefox but it's been slipping away for so long that I had to let it go

I was one of the first on the original SeaMonkey suite and Netscape Those heady days even pre Internet explorer, (when Bill woke up, killed longhorn and went all internet on us)

At the present Time I do not think I can mould FF57 into what I want ( I have a certain set-up I need to work with, and Chrome now gives me closer than FF)

Will obviously check it out every few months to see if it's worth giving it a try, but it seems to me that very few developers are prepared to port legacy add-ons ( or more likely the new system does not have the flexibility of the old one)

Another issue I have is that as I run a number of Android devices for mobile computing and "Life/Work Management" I have to have good inter-connectivity between Desk and Mobile,

Now MS itself, is getting better with this in the Fall Creators Update, (I can finally access my android Mail and Calendar from within the Mail app without half a dozen conversion apps), and they appear to have realised that windows phone was a dead end, and with android owning most of the mobile market, (75% of worldwide market), they appear to be looking to support it more in future

Barman58, Nov 13, 2017
  10. I tried Chrome once and used it for about 10 minutes. I did not like that fact that it left running processes after it was closed and even my machine was restarted. Fx 57 has multi process support as well but when you close Fx they are also closed. I have been using Firefox from Day one when it first came out as Phoenix. For a secondary browser I use SlimJet which is Chromium based.

But to each his own. I would not put it down without even trying it. You might like it.*Wink

11. I, too, do not like Chrome.
    But I won't be able to tolerate Firefox if it cannot handle ScrapBook X and Tab Mix Plus and Classic Theme Restorer.
    I have other add-ins, but these three are the must-have items.

So I've disabled auto-updates in and I'll stay at FF 56 ... at least until Firefox can support my needs.

margrave55, Nov 13, 2017
  12. pyramid10 Win User
    "at least until Firefox can support my needs."

That might never happen, if the extension-authors won't adapt their codes to the new Firefox requirements; and if no new coder wants to take on the challenge of coming up with an extension to meet your needs.

And if Mozilla won't update 56 with security updates, then the versioned browser becomes less safe as time goes on.

A possible solution that solves both concerns is Pale Moon(dot org). The safety-conscious man behind the browser keeps it updated, and seems to tirelessly work at improving it. Plus, there is a community of coders who are responsive in support.

And he's a bit of a visionary, imagining the future outside of and beyond Google and Mozilla.

pyramid10, Nov 13, 2017
  13. clam1952 Win User

Firefox 57

The Tab Mix plus developer is working on a web extensions version, patience it will probably get done.

Classic Theme Restorer could never work on 57, read the developers explanation for why it's not possible. I bit the bullet during the beta and abandoned it and can manage perfectly now without it.

clam1952, Nov 13, 2017
  14. Farvatten Win User
    Farvatten, Nov 14, 2017
  15. dalchina New Member
    Waterfox is a very useful option- I'm using that now- all the familiar extensions are ok.

dalchina, Nov 14, 2017
Thema:

Firefox 57

1. Firefox 57 - Similar Threads - Firefox

2. error downloading windows 10 iso from firefox browser on kali linux

in Windows 10 Gaming
    error downloading windows 10 iso from firefox browser on kali linux: error downloading windows 10 iso from firefox browser on kali linux it says"" We are unable to complete your request at this time. Some users, entities and locations are banned from using this service. For this reason, leveraging anonymous or location hiding technologies when...
  3. error downloading windows 10 iso from firefox browser on kali linux

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    error downloading windows 10 iso from firefox browser on kali linux: error downloading windows 10 iso from firefox browser on kali linux it says"" We are unable to complete your request at this time. Some users, entities and locations are banned from using this service. For this reason, leveraging anonymous or location hiding technologies when...
  4. Windows 11 Pro PC crashes every time I use Firefox...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Pro PC crashes every time I use Firefox...: My Windows 11 Pro PC crashes every time I use Firefox, Chrome or Edge. Windows is totally up to date as are all my drivers. 64 GB RAM, i7 processor. I've totally reset all browsers. I've run Windows troubleshooters, restarted after every change, but I can't get any of the...
  5. Windows 11 Pro PC crashes every time I use Firefox...

Windows 11 Pro PC crashes every time I use Firefox...: My Windows 11 Pro PC crashes every time I use Firefox, Chrome or Edge. Windows is totally up to date as are all my drivers. 64 GB RAM, i7 processor. I've totally reset all browsers. I've run Windows troubleshooters, restarted after every change, but I can't get any of the...
  6. Can't login to my yahoo mail account from my pc using edge, chrome, firefox or windows10...

Can't login to my yahoo mail account from my pc using edge, chrome, firefox or windows10...: Past few months I can't login to my yahoo mail account from my pc using edge, chrome, firefox or windows10 Yahoo app? It timesout and does let me enter my password. Or it tells me I've failed to access my account too many times and I need to wait an hour even thoughIhavenot...
  7. Can't login to my yahoo mail account from my pc using edge, chrome, firefox or windows10...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't login to my yahoo mail account from my pc using edge, chrome, firefox or windows10...: Past few months I can't login to my yahoo mail account from my pc using edge, chrome, firefox or windows10 Yahoo app? It timesout and does let me enter my password. Or it tells me I've failed to access my account too many times and I need to wait an hour even thoughIhavenot...
  8. firefox

in Windows 10 Gaming
    firefox: firefox https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/firefox/0f6bcc1b-51aa-4abe-8c0b-b8e0b1da740e
  9. firefox

firefox: firefox https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/firefox/0f6bcc1b-51aa-4abe-8c0b-b8e0b1da740e
  10. firefox download history shows o byte file while i am downloading a higher size file

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    firefox download history shows o byte file while i am downloading a higher size file: I was trying to download an executable file from filen.io and when I click download the process happens on the page like as in MEGA download and my IDM didn't overtake it the problem happens halfway through the download Firefox shows a download complete message with zero byte...