Windows 10: Firefox 57

Discus and support Firefox 57 in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I, too, do not like Chrome. But I won't be able to tolerate Firefox if it cannot handle ScrapBook X and Tab Mix Plus and Classic Theme Restorer. I... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by margrave55, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Firefox 57

I don't know about Tan Mix Plus or Scrapbook X but Classic theme restorer will never be compatible as it goes against the change that Mozilla has made. They want a new and faster browser and do away with the old look and not embrace it, what CTR does.

Josey Wales, Nov 14, 2017
  2. FerchogtX Win User

Honestly, the extensions problem depends entirely of the developers, like I have read in a thread in MDL, they had a whole year to upgrade to web-extensions api, if they haven't... well, that's laziness.

I've heard there is an extension that allows you to install Chrome or Opera's extensions from their store, probably worths a try.

FerchogtX, Nov 15, 2017
  3. lvgandhi Win User
    I had updated to 57. Speeddial gone. Now all speed dial addons ask for permission to "access your data for all websites" and more. An example is below.

Firefox 57 [​IMG]

Why they need permission to access all data on websites?
    Is it safe?

lvgandhi, Nov 15, 2017
  4. FerchogtX Win User

Firefox 57

Those permissions make the extension able to retrieve custom icons for websites, keep a list of your history so you can access it through their newtab page replacement, retrieve your bookmarks so you can access them from the speed dial page, being able to keep track of which tabs you close so you can restore them later, paste what you got on the clipboard, check what theme you use and adapt to it...

I woudn't worry too much about it, after all, is the same extension that is listed for Chrome, and even there it asks for the same exact permissions...

FerchogtX, Nov 15, 2017
  5. roy111 Win User
    Till you decide or verify if your plugins are compatible/upgraded you can use Firefox ESR,
    it has security support without feature upgrades:

Firefox Extended Support Release for Your Organization, Business, Enterprise - Overview — Mozilla

roy111, Nov 15, 2017
  6. fireberd Win User
    I upgraded FF to 57 yesterday. Didn't break anything for me, but I have very few add-ons. I use both Edge and FF, just depending.
    I don't like or will never install Chrome again. I did it once and it caused DPC Latency problems and dropouts in my recording studio apps. I had a major issue, at the time (Win 7) of getting rid of Google's auto updater. Even removing it with Revo Uninstaller that also scans and removes registry entries didn't fully do it. I had to manually edit the registry and remove close to 100 Google entries to finally get rid of it.

fireberd, Nov 15, 2017
  7. I'm disappointed in the number of new compatible extensions that FF 57 supports. There is only 3 pages (Maybe 25) that will work. The only good news is that Adblocker, Ghostery and few others are compatible.

Mozilla needs to provide a list of extensions that are being worked on. That would help those on the fence to upgrade or not or yet look to another browser.

storageman, Nov 15, 2017
  8. Pirx Win User

Firefox 57

More than half of my extensions are marked as "Legacy". I just disabled automatic updates, and may abandon Firefox if that picture does not change substantially.

9. FerchogtX Win User
    FerchogtX, Nov 16, 2017
  10. There is an add on that does not do this. Windows 10 see it all so why worry about what a Browser does? I do not need speed dial I use the Bookmark Toolbar.

Josey Wales, Nov 16, 2017
  11. jonrichco Win User
    I installed 57 today. Disaster, No Scrapbook, Tabmixplus etc. Luckily it is possible to go back to 56 by downloading from FileHippo.com - Download Free Software or search for "firefox 56 download" which I have done - everything back to normal. Until key add-ins are written across, there is NO WAY I will move to 57. Bad deal Mozilla.

jonrichco, Nov 17, 2017
  12. Then you are going back to a Browser that is vulnerable. Also I would NOT get any add ons from Chrome.

Security Advisories for Firefox — Mozilla

Josey Wales, Nov 18, 2017
  13. jonrichco Win User

Firefox 57

So let's hope Gomita can be persuaded to write Scrapbook across to 57. I am not going to lose 10 years of saved web pages. One option would be to run both versions and access 56 when you need to access a saved page, but I don't suppose that is easy to do. Or Mozilla could introduce a scrapbook feature that can read existing folders.

At the worst, I guess that I can spend a week opening scrapbook pages and saving those I still need to pdf. We'll see.

jonrichco, Nov 18, 2017
  14. Plankton Win User
    I use Chrome as my primary and FireFox as a secondary browser and only use 1 extension for both and that is [Removed] Since the release of FF 57, I'm using that as my primary browser but Chrome is still set as my default. That may change here ricky tick.

Plankton, Nov 18, 2017
  15. Stephanie Win User
Thema:

Firefox 57

1. Firefox 57 - Similar Threads - Firefox

2. Windows 11 Pro PC crashes every time I use Firefox...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Pro PC crashes every time I use Firefox...: My Windows 11 Pro PC crashes every time I use Firefox, Chrome or Edge. Windows is totally up to date as are all my drivers. 64 GB RAM, i7 processor. I've totally reset all browsers. I've run Windows troubleshooters, restarted after every change, but I can't get any of the...
  3. Windows 11 Pro PC crashes every time I use Firefox...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Pro PC crashes every time I use Firefox...: My Windows 11 Pro PC crashes every time I use Firefox, Chrome or Edge. Windows is totally up to date as are all my drivers. 64 GB RAM, i7 processor. I've totally reset all browsers. I've run Windows troubleshooters, restarted after every change, but I can't get any of the...
  4. Can't login to my yahoo mail account from my pc using edge, chrome, firefox or windows10...

Can't login to my yahoo mail account from my pc using edge, chrome, firefox or windows10...: Past few months I can't login to my yahoo mail account from my pc using edge, chrome, firefox or windows10 Yahoo app? It timesout and does let me enter my password. Or it tells me I've failed to access my account too many times and I need to wait an hour even thoughIhavenot...
  5. Can't login to my yahoo mail account from my pc using edge, chrome, firefox or windows10...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't login to my yahoo mail account from my pc using edge, chrome, firefox or windows10...: Past few months I can't login to my yahoo mail account from my pc using edge, chrome, firefox or windows10 Yahoo app? It timesout and does let me enter my password. Or it tells me I've failed to access my account too many times and I need to wait an hour even thoughIhavenot...
  6. firefox

in Windows 10 Gaming
    firefox: firefox https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/firefox/0f6bcc1b-51aa-4abe-8c0b-b8e0b1da740e
  7. firefox

firefox: firefox https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/firefox/0f6bcc1b-51aa-4abe-8c0b-b8e0b1da740e
  8. firefox download history shows o byte file while i am downloading a higher size file

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    firefox download history shows o byte file while i am downloading a higher size file: I was trying to download an executable file from filen.io and when I click download the process happens on the page like as in MEGA download and my IDM didn't overtake it the problem happens halfway through the download Firefox shows a download complete message with zero byte...
  9. firefox download history shows o byte file while i am downloading a higher size file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    firefox download history shows o byte file while i am downloading a higher size file: I was trying to download an executable file from filen.io and when I click download the process happens on the page like as in MEGA download and my IDM didn't overtake it the problem happens halfway through the download Firefox shows a download complete message with zero byte...
  10. firefox download history shows o byte file while i am downloading a higher size file