Windows 10: Firefox and Chrome have internet access without being on the firewall's allowed apps list

Discus and support Firefox and Chrome have internet access without being on the firewall's allowed apps list in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I had some problems with my windows firewall and decided to just restore it to the default settings. However I noticed that I can still open web pages... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/VEHC, May 26, 2020.

1. /u/VEHC Win User

Firefox and Chrome have internet access without being on the firewall's allowed apps list

I had some problems with my windows firewall and decided to just restore it to the default settings.

However I noticed that I can still open web pages in Firefox and Chrome even though I have not yet added the to list of allowed apps.

Have I simply not understood how a firewall works or maybe even what it is supposed to do? Or is my firewall not working or being bypassed for some reason?

submitted by /u/VEHC
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/VEHC, May 26, 2020

2. Chrome is blocked by my firewall but the firewall states Chrome is allowed access

Hi,

As it seems that your both Chrome and Firefox are blocked by your firewall, hence before we proceed, please answer the below questions for the better understanding of the issue.

1. From when is the issue persisting?

2. Did you do any changes to the firewall settings prior to the issue?

3. What is the exact error message that you get from the firewall when you try to run the Chrome or Firefox?

In the mean time, try giving both public and private access to Chrome and Firefox and check if it helps.

1. Press Windows key + X key and select Control Panel (set view by as small icons).

2. Now, Control panel > Windows firewall > Allow an app or feature through Windows firewall > Change settings > Tick the private and public boxes for both Chrome and Firefox > Select Ok.

Disclaimer: Refer to the below link before proceeding.

What are the risks of allowing apps through a firewall?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/risks-of-allowing-apps-through-firewall

Please let us know if the issue is resolved or you need any further assistance.

Thank you.

Amarjeet_Paul, May 26, 2020
  3. Failure to permanently add apps to firewall allowed apps list

I cannot seem to add a program to the list of firewalls allowed apps list.

I add the program successfully, but then when I reopen the list - the app is not on it.

Also, no program that is installed on my PC is on the list - just names that look like windows system apps (features?)

I get messages from firewall all the time. For instance every time I turn on google chrome after system restart I get a message saying whether I want to allow it. This is true for other programs too.

GeorgeKufman, May 26, 2020
  4. Firefox and Chrome have internet access without being on the firewall's allowed apps list

Failure to permanently add apps to firewall allowed apps list

I cannot seem to add a program to the list of firewalls allowed apps list.

I add the program successfully, but then when I reopen the list - the app is not on it.

Also, no program that is installed on my PC is on the list - just names that look like windows system apps (features?)

I get messages from firewall all the time. For instance every time I turn on google chrome after system restart I get a message saying whether I want to allow it. This is true for other programs too.

GeorgeKufman, May 26, 2020
Thema:

Firefox and Chrome have internet access without being on the firewall's allowed apps list

1. Firefox and Chrome have internet access without being on the firewall's allowed apps list - Similar Threads - Firefox Chrome internet

2. How do I allow myself to add apps to access the firewall

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I allow myself to add apps to access the firewall: It's just locked and I don't know how to enable it. I have a windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-allow-myself-to-add-apps-to-access-the/b2162895-4f5d-40b8-8b4e-24e163706d6c
  3. Firewall disabling internet access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Firewall disabling internet access: After updating windows 11 My internet browserschrome and edge can’t connect to the internet. I have checked that they are allowed through the firewallremoved them and put them back in reset chrome and firewall settings and still no luck. It only works as soon as I disable...
  4. Firewall disabling internet access

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Firewall disabling internet access: After updating windows 11 My internet browserschrome and edge can’t connect to the internet. I have checked that they are allowed through the firewallremoved them and put them back in reset chrome and firewall settings and still no luck. It only works as soon as I disable...
  5. Allow app Internet access.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Allow app Internet access.: Hello! I've been having a problem with a game, I can't access its online features, but it's not the game's problem, it's probably my network. I am wondering how to find out where the game is "trying to connect to", and whitelist it on my router. (I don't even know if it's an...
  6. Allow Chrome to access the network in your firewall or antivirus settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Allow Chrome to access the network in your firewall or antivirus settings: i want to download the western Australian library app https://app.overdrive.com/ to my hp laptop but keep getting the message This site can’t be reached. Help please. but please keep in mind that i am not tech savy. thank you...
  7. Microsoft Defender firewall list of allowed apps and functions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft Defender firewall list of allowed apps and functions: Hello all My game League of Legends, it is not on the Microsoft Defender firewall list of allowed apps and functions, and yet I can play it. All my other games is on the list. This is the case on both my laptop and main PC. How can this be? Have I somehow granted it access...
  8. Microsoft Defender firewall list of allowed apps and functions

in Windows 10 Support
    Microsoft Defender firewall list of allowed apps and functions: Hello all My game League of Legends, it is not on the Microsoft Defender firewall list of allowed apps and functions, and yet I can play it. All my other games is on the list. This is the case on both my laptop and main PC. How can this be? Have I somehow granted it access...
  9. Windows Firewall: Allow internal network / deny internet access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Firewall: Allow internal network / deny internet access: Hi all, Been lurking here for years, but I finally need some direct help please. I have a need to allow a specific program to have internal network access, but disallow/deny that same program all internet access. I don't see any way to do this in the firewall settings. It...
  10. Windows Firewall - "allowed apps and features"

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Firewall - "allowed apps and features": Is there a description of all the entries in Windows 10 Firewall - "allowed apps and features" listed somewhere? "Details" are not available for many or not helpful 55021