Windows 10: firefox and Gmail shortcuts (etc) do not activate in new win10

Discus and support firefox and Gmail shortcuts (etc) do not activate in new win10 in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I managed to get the win 10 download and on my first try after reboot the Gmail and Firefox (default usually) did nothing...When I printed in my site... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by ianjefferys, Aug 22, 2015.

1. firefox and Gmail shortcuts (etc) do not activate in new win10

I managed to get the win 10 download and on my first try after reboot the Gmail and Firefox (default usually) did nothing...When I printed in my site request into firefox there was no response... this applies to my Gmail shortcut and various others. I can only get on the web using Edge. How do I revert to my own choices and shortcuts? It appears impossible to use current shortcuts. Does Win 10 set it's own defaults and how do I revert to my own preferences.?
    Thanks
    (age 83)

:)

ianjefferys, Aug 22, 2015
  2. DGP1948 Win User

Program manager prevents shut down

I did install the WIN10 shortcut for shutdown that Albert did show and it works fine.

I did close WIN10 deliberately whitout closing Firefox first, Firefox open with 8 different tabs.

but what I find very strange is the fact that when I restart WIN10 and Firefox then Firefox gives me back the last open window I had with the 8 tabs I had ...

Is that normal ? Have to say that I do NOT have history enabled.

Somewhere I did read that the problem with Program Manager has to do with automatically search for updates and still have to install them ....

DGP1948, Aug 22, 2015
  3. Sy Weiss Win User
    Windows 10s

Hi Syss,

Couple of things that i wanted to ask you:

• Are you wanting to use Chrome or Edge as your default Browser?
    • How are you trying to send the email? Is it through the outlook or the mail app or the Edge or Chrome?
    • What do you want to use as of now? Firefox, Chrome or Edge?

• I am not sure but think it is Edge, as my previous
    • experience with earlier Chrome / Gmail was OK.
    • Using W10 as is now has BADLY EFFECTED how Firefox works NOW.
    • Many items on the Task Bar, TRAUMATICALLY switch to, I think Edge, I dont
    • think Chrome is that gross !
    • Now using Gmail, with Firefox is a problem. Clicking in a Gmail , to enter
    • a new letter or function, Brings Up of few ( ACTION ) with functions like
    • undo, spell check etc.
    As of NOW, I would like to use the New Windows 10 with Firefox if using W10

does Not Screw Up the applications.

Ankur, Your Input was Most Help Full,

Sy

On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 8:17 PM, <L: *** Email address is removed for privacy ***> wrote:

Sy Weiss, Aug 22, 2015
  4. Gary Win User

firefox and Gmail shortcuts (etc) do not activate in new win10

You can make Firefox the default in start/default Programs. or in settings/apps.

5. Thanks, Gary,
    But after setting the defaults in settings and with Firefox having all it's defaults and with firefox set as the default browser in firefox settings the result was zilch! The request for a website is printed Ok in the google box but there is absolutely no response...just a blank page. No indication of an action wheel in the top left...just a blank page.
    It seems that Win 10 has no way to make firefox my default browser?
    Ian Jefferys

ianjefferys, Aug 22, 2015
  6. That does not make sense: If, as I believe you are saying, when you click on the Firefox shortcut it opens, then it is the default browser. Or, rather, it does not really matter if it is the default, as being default means that Fx will open when called by other means, such as a link in an email. As far as your statement that Windows 10 has not way of making Fx your default browser, that is contradicted that Fx is my default browser with Windows 10.

It seems to me that Fx is running but not connecting to the Internet; that is most commonly caused by a firewall not recognizing Fx, and, if that is so, then you need to adjust the firewall to allow Fx. If that is not the cause of the problem, then start here to see if this will isolate the problem:

Standard diagnostic - Firefox - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

I don't know if this will help, as it is aimed mainly at other issues, but trying it should at least help by eliminating some possible sources of the difficulty, and that should help to figure out what to do next.

[Edit} I totally forgot an obvious thing to try, namely running Fx in Safe Mode: Help/Restart with Add-ons Disabled. If things work in that mode, then restart Fx, which will re-enable all extensions. Disable one-half of your extensions, restart, test; no luck, disable the rest, test. If you do find that, with either half disabled, that the problem is no longer there, then re-enable one-half of the disabled extensions, test, and so on until you identify the culprit.

Not Myself, Aug 22, 2015
  7. I appreciate all you have said and I have tried more than several of the methods and tried enabling some sort of connection through anything but edge. It seems the net is blocked somehow and somewhere to all my win7 icons.
    I've made shortcuts in various ways using the active edge sites and redone a few with NO results but the repeat of having this stupid message come up relating to "Internal error bad script magic number 2348".
    Trying the net (edge) to find out what this means is useless.... No-one else seems to have struck it with win10.
    My local guru also says he hasn't seen it or knows nothing of it.
    I really have tried most possibilities and deduced that... after all this time and effort and frustration (days!)...I should re-examine win 10 from the perspective of "what does it offer me(particularly) that win 7 doesn't???"
    Answer.... bugger all (sorry if you're american...in Oz that is just a common usage word!) I mean "absolutely nothing!"
    So I switched back and am as happy as the proverbial pig in mud!
    But I can see where young adults and the next generations will have the expanded usage that may apply to their growing needs overall.... so enjoy it! I'll just slowly do my thing with win 7! Thanks for trying Gary.. I gave it my best. PITY! I like to keep up with the latest.
    Ian Jefferys (83)

ianjefferys, Aug 23, 2015
  8. firefox and Gmail shortcuts (etc) do not activate in new win10

Sorry "not myself" I just assumed it was "gary"

Just pretend I was posting to you...It applies!
    ian J

ianjefferys, Aug 23, 2015
  9. Gary Win User
    I tried to help you. Good luck with your problem.

Gary, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

firefox and Gmail shortcuts (etc) do not activate in new win10

1. firefox and Gmail shortcuts (etc) do not activate in new win10 - Similar Threads - firefox Gmail shortcuts

2. New Install - No KeyBoard Shortcuts Copy and Paste etc

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    New Install - No KeyBoard Shortcuts Copy and Paste etc: This is a new install from a custom built PC. CTRL C CTRL P CTRL A etc dont work. Though I can copy and paste with the mouse. If I highlight text and right click I dont see any Shortcut suggestions. The CTRL button does not even register when trying to remap with...
  3. Installing wallpaper on Gmail and Firefox?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Installing wallpaper on Gmail and Firefox?: Can somebody please tell me how to install a photo wallpaper on Gmail and Firefox?? - I have been searching forHOURS and can't find the answer! [IMG]...
  4. CANNOT SIGN IN TO CHROME/GMAIL OR FIREFOX

CANNOT SIGN IN TO CHROME/GMAIL OR FIREFOX: After a successful reinstall of Win 10 on my PC, I have encountered a problem with Chrome and Firefox. I have downloaded both through the Edge browser, but when I attempt to sign in to either, I enter my username, but when I try to populate the password box, it only allows me...
  5. Using Win10 shortcut to switch active program

Using Win10 shortcut to switch active program: The two programs I use most often are Outlook and Firefox, and I often need to switch between them. I don't want both programs displayed on the same screen. When I was using Win7 there was no difference whether I switched with my mouse or with the keyboard. Now however...
  6. desktop firefox shortcuts

in Browsers and Email
    desktop firefox shortcuts: firefox just updated. all my internet shortcuts on my desktop have gone blank . any way to fix this? I miss tenforums nice icon. I tried redragging them to my desktop but that didn't work. just gives me the firefox icon. . 130545
  7. shortcut for gmail in microsoft edge

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    shortcut for gmail in microsoft edge: Can I create a shortcut on Microsoft edge for gmail account https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shortcut-for-gmail-in-microsoft-edge/9d7affcb-1684-4335-b5d3-6434b87b5254
  8. How Do I Pin A Gmail Shortcut To The Taskbar

in Browsers and Email
    How Do I Pin A Gmail Shortcut To The Taskbar: Hi, I created a desktop shortcut to my Gmail account, that opens with the Chrome browser, directly to my Gmail account. However, when I drag the shortcut to the tackbar. The option to Pin it to the taskbar is not present. The only option available, is Pin To Google Chrome....
  9. Firefox Shortcuts no Longer Work?

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox Shortcuts no Longer Work?: Hi all. Firefox was working ten minutes ago, but clicking on the task bar and start menu shortcuts now results in a message that the application can no longer be found. According to Windows settings 'add and remove programs' it's still there. It seems possible that the...
  10. gmail and firefox

in Browsers and Email
    gmail and firefox: Hi. Had many many compatibility problems with windows 10. HP have been brilliant. I have to use firefox now because 10 doesn't like chrome. It doesn't like avg either. anyway, I recently had a hip replacement and have other medical issues. I desperately need to send a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. gmail to is not a hot key

2. how to make active gmail desktop shortcut so i do not have to enter emal and password

3. gmail shortcuts in firefox