Windows 10: Firefox Keeps Re-enabling Bing

Discus and support Firefox Keeps Re-enabling Bing in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; This is driving me crazy. I use Google exclusively. I had Firefox set up to use Google. I deleted every other search engine within Firefox. Now, in the... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Cephus404, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Cephus404 Win User

Firefox Keeps Re-enabling Bing

This is driving me crazy. I use Google exclusively. I had Firefox set up to use Google. I deleted every other search engine within Firefox. Now, in the past couple of days, every time I start Firefox, it defaults to Bing. It adds Bing and Amazon back to the list of search engines. I delete them and they're back the next time I start Firefox. It's not an extension or add-on, the only ones I have are LastPass and a uBlock Origin, which I've had forever, neither has updated in a while and have never caused a problem. I have two add-ons, one of which is provided by Google, so I know it's not those.

I've run full virus scans and am completely clean. I haven't downloaded any new software or apps in... forever, so I know it's not something I downloaded.

What gives?

:)

Cephus404, Jan 8, 2018
  2. JaySel Win User

Cortana does not respond me after anniversary update

What resolved it for me was making a small registry change to re-enable Bing:

BingSearchEnabled (which was set to 0) in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search

Sneaky - so they have made Cortana only work with Bing....hmmmh!!!

JaySel, Jan 8, 2018
  3. JanPenn Win User
    Bing.com and other Microsoft services will not load since W10 November upgrade

I too have been experiencing a lot of problems with W10, and among them this one - when I enter "bing" into the search area of Edge I keep getting "Hmm, we can't reach this page". But when I do the same in Chrome, Firefox and Opera, Bing loads OK.

JanPenn, Jan 8, 2018
  4. Firefox Keeps Re-enabling Bing

I use Google on Fx 57.0.4 and it never changed to Bing. I removed every other search engine. I never used Bing.

Josey Wales, Jan 8, 2018
  5. rvbfan Win User
    Same, never had this issue.

rvbfan, Jan 8, 2018
  6. What version of Firefox are you using?

Josey Wales, Jan 8, 2018
  7. Cephus404 Win User
    57.0.4, the most recent.

Cephus404, Jan 8, 2018
  8. Firefox Keeps Re-enabling Bing

Are you using any legacy extensions?

Josey Wales, Jan 8, 2018
  9. Cephus404 Win User
    Nope. The ones I listed are the only ones I am using period.

Cephus404, Jan 8, 2018
  10. Edwin New Member
    Could you have tripped, unbeknownst, over something like this at some point?

Firefox Keeps Re-enabling Bing [​IMG]

Edwin, Jan 8, 2018
  11. Eagle51 Win User
    Eagle51, Jan 8, 2018
  12. Firefox does not usually use extensions provided by Google. If you are not syncing it to an email address try to do that. Remove Bing as a search provider first and then sync it.

How do I set up Sync on my computer? | Firefox Help

Josey Wales, Jan 8, 2018
  13. Cephus404 Win User

Nope. As I said, I haven't installed any new software in... a very long time.

Cephus404, Jan 8, 2018
  14. Cephus404 Win User
    It's an add-on: Widevine Content Decryption Module provided by Google Inc. It plays encrypted video online.

Cephus404, Jan 8, 2018
  15. Callender Win User
    In the FF address bar type about:support then press Enter. copy the results here.

Also type about:config then press Enter. Type bing in the search box and see what shows up.

Also set FF to show Menu Bar then look at Tools > Add Ons

Scroll down to each add on in the list and check for configurable options. Have a look at all options for each add on.

Callender, Jan 8, 2018
Thema:

1. Firefox Keeps Re-enabling Bing - Similar Threads - Firefox Keeps enabling

2. Re-enable a device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Re-enable a device: I disabled my laptop because I thought it would get rid if the microsoft authenticator but it didn't. I want to re-enable my laptop so I can do some homework https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/re-enable-a-device/4d66c633-d016-4e54-bdb3-73425b7eb240
  3. Re-Enable F11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Re-Enable F11: Lynn-MSFT is misinformed about the ability to either enable or disable the F11 fullscreen key. Mine is somehow disabled and I want it to work again. I DO NOT have an Fn key, so any remedy suggesting its use is ignorant, at best. Running a system file scan would not fix or...
  4. Re-Enable F11

in Windows 10 Customization
    Re-Enable F11: Lynn-MSFT is misinformed about the ability to either enable or disable the F11 fullscreen key. Mine is somehow disabled and I want it to work again. I DO NOT have an Fn key, so any remedy suggesting its use is ignorant, at best. Running a system file scan would not fix or...
  5. Re-enable touchpad

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Re-enable touchpad: This morning, I disabled my touchpad to see if Windows 10 wouId automatically enable my touchscreen. It didn't, so now I can't use my laptop. Before I get a mouse to plug in, is there a way to re-enable my touchpad without a mouse? Thanks....
  6. Windows 10 keeps re-opening Firefox and restoring tabs on boot

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 keeps re-opening Firefox and restoring tabs on boot: Hi. Since the latest W10 update which we received around a week ago, my PC shuts down fine but when the power is switched back on (often the next day), the windows fast start sequence begins (as it is set to do) and as soon as I log in Windows 10 is loading Firefox and...
  7. Firefox enabling permissions ?

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox enabling permissions ?: Having big problems trying to work out enabling permissions on Firefox for particular websites as their instructions are impossible to follow and understand. Where there was a header picture overnight on a forum it's now been removed with just a lock and a yellow exclamation...
  8. Using Bing in Firefox Address Bar Search

in Browsers and Email
    Using Bing in Firefox Address Bar Search: I am using Firefox 61.0.2 under W10. If I type a search term in the Search Bar, it searches using Bing just as I set it up. Fine. However, if I want to search by putting a term in the Address Bar it insists on using Google. I don't want that, I want Bing. Is there anyway I...
  9. Bing to google for firefox

in Browsers and Email
    Bing to google for firefox: don't know if it has been posted yet but Install this script and no more bing with cortana *Party Bing to Google 13043
  10. Firefox Homepage keeps resetting to Bing

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox Homepage keeps resetting to Bing: I've read several threads here about the homepage resetting to Bing and I've tried all the recommendations. My homepage continues to reset to Bing. I've scanned for virus' & malware w/ Malwarebytes & Defender. Also used McAfee Stinger. No problems found. Is there a setting...