Windows 10: Firefox Keeps Re-enabling Bing

Discus and support Firefox Keeps Re-enabling Bing in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; In the FF address bar type about:support then press Enter. copy the results here. Also type about:config then press Enter. Type bing in the search... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Cephus404, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Cephus404 Win User

Firefox Keeps Re-enabling Bing

Name Firefox
    Version 57.0.4
    Build ID 20180103231032
    Update History
    Update Channel release-cck-mozilla130
    User Agent Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
    OS Windows_NT 10.0
    Profile Folder
    Enabled Plugins about*Tonguelugins
    Build Configuration about:buildconfig
    Memory Use about:memory
    Performance about*Tongueerformance
    Registered Service Workers about:serviceworkers
    Multiprocess Windows 1/1 (Enabled by default)
    Web Content Processes 4/4
    Stylo true (enabled by default)
    Google Key Found
    Mozilla Location Service Key Found
    Safe Mode false
    Profiles about*Tonguerofiles

There were a couple of entries for Bing in there, I changed them all to Google. We'll see if that helps.

Cephus404, Jan 8, 2018
  2. Cephus404 Win User

And, even with the sync, even with changing those values, it still happens.

Cephus404, Jan 8, 2018
  3. type about:config then press Enter. Type bing in the search box and see what shows up.

Do that again but do not change anything.

Josey Wales, Jan 8, 2018
  4. Callender Win User

Callender, Jan 8, 2018
  5. Callender Win User
    Will check back tomorrow

Callender, Jan 8, 2018
  6. Callender Win User
    Try about:config then search for browser.search.defaultenginename

Change string value to Google

Callender, Jan 8, 2018
  7. Cephus404 Win User
    Now, absolutely nothing shows up when searching for Bing, but Bing still gets activated.

Cephus404, Jan 8, 2018
  8. Cephus404 Win User

Was already Google, it's one of the values I changed yesterday, although it hadn't stopped Firefox from reverting to Bing.

Cephus404, Jan 8, 2018
  9. Cephus404 Win User
    Cephus404, Jan 8, 2018
  10. Callender Win User
    Try creating a second profile. Close FF then press [Winkey+R] to open the run dialog box then type

firefox.exe -P

In the window that opens create a new profile but uncheck the option to use at startup. Launch FF and test to see if you get the same problem.

Firefox Keeps Re-enabling Bing [​IMG]

Security software might also cause the problem like in this post:

How to fix Comodo Browser Protection - Windows 10 Forums

Callender, Jan 8, 2018
  11. Callender Win User
    Callender, Jan 8, 2018
  12. Cephus404 Win User
    Ran it, came up clean.

Cephus404, Jan 8, 2018
  13. Cephus404 Win User

And it's still putting Bing in.

Cephus404, Jan 8, 2018
  14. Callender Win User
    How about the new test profile?

Callender, Jan 8, 2018
  15. Callender Win User
    Well if you create a new profile and still get the problem I reckon it's time to clean install Firefox but it's your call.

Some firefox problems - Page 10 - Windows 10 Forums

If you go down that route don't leave any trace of Firefox of you Firefox profile on your machine before rebooting and installing a fresh copy.

Callender, Jan 8, 2018
Thema:

1. Firefox Keeps Re-enabling Bing - Similar Threads - Firefox Keeps enabling

2. Re-enable a device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Re-enable a device: I disabled my laptop because I thought it would get rid if the microsoft authenticator but it didn't. I want to re-enable my laptop so I can do some homework https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/re-enable-a-device/4d66c633-d016-4e54-bdb3-73425b7eb240
  3. Re-Enable F11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Re-Enable F11: Lynn-MSFT is misinformed about the ability to either enable or disable the F11 fullscreen key. Mine is somehow disabled and I want it to work again. I DO NOT have an Fn key, so any remedy suggesting its use is ignorant, at best. Running a system file scan would not fix or...
  4. Re-Enable F11

in Windows 10 Customization
    Re-Enable F11: Lynn-MSFT is misinformed about the ability to either enable or disable the F11 fullscreen key. Mine is somehow disabled and I want it to work again. I DO NOT have an Fn key, so any remedy suggesting its use is ignorant, at best. Running a system file scan would not fix or...
  5. Re-enable touchpad

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Re-enable touchpad: This morning, I disabled my touchpad to see if Windows 10 wouId automatically enable my touchscreen. It didn't, so now I can't use my laptop. Before I get a mouse to plug in, is there a way to re-enable my touchpad without a mouse? Thanks....
  6. Windows 10 keeps re-opening Firefox and restoring tabs on boot

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 keeps re-opening Firefox and restoring tabs on boot: Hi. Since the latest W10 update which we received around a week ago, my PC shuts down fine but when the power is switched back on (often the next day), the windows fast start sequence begins (as it is set to do) and as soon as I log in Windows 10 is loading Firefox and...
  7. Firefox enabling permissions ?

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox enabling permissions ?: Having big problems trying to work out enabling permissions on Firefox for particular websites as their instructions are impossible to follow and understand. Where there was a header picture overnight on a forum it's now been removed with just a lock and a yellow exclamation...
  8. Using Bing in Firefox Address Bar Search

in Browsers and Email
    Using Bing in Firefox Address Bar Search: I am using Firefox 61.0.2 under W10. If I type a search term in the Search Bar, it searches using Bing just as I set it up. Fine. However, if I want to search by putting a term in the Address Bar it insists on using Google. I don't want that, I want Bing. Is there anyway I...
  9. Bing to google for firefox

in Browsers and Email
    Bing to google for firefox: don't know if it has been posted yet but Install this script and no more bing with cortana *Party Bing to Google 13043
  10. Firefox Homepage keeps resetting to Bing

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox Homepage keeps resetting to Bing: I've read several threads here about the homepage resetting to Bing and I've tried all the recommendations. My homepage continues to reset to Bing. I've scanned for virus' & malware w/ Malwarebytes & Defender. Also used McAfee Stinger. No problems found. Is there a setting...