Windows 10: Firefox Keeps Re-enabling Bing

Discus and support Firefox Keeps Re-enabling Bing in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Other option to test. Grab a copy of this: Hekasoft Backup & Restore Download Use it to backup your current FF Profile. Then download a copy... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Cephus404, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Callender Win User

Firefox Keeps Re-enabling Bing

Other option to test. Grab a copy of this:

Hekasoft Backup & Restore Download

Use it to backup your current FF Profile.

Then download a copy of my profile backup - see attached. Unzip to a new folder on your desktop. Run Hekasoft Backup & Restore and restore to my profile (the file you unzipped) and see if you still get the problem.

Firefox backup.zip

Callender, Jan 8, 2018
  2. Cephus404 Win User

I loaded yours, which had several search engines. I deleted them all, reset to Google and then restarted Firefox. It had reset to Bing.

Cephus404, Jan 9, 2018
  3. Cephus404 Win User
    Cephus404, Jan 9, 2018
  4. Callender Win User

What did it do when you launched FF before deleting anything?

It should have defaulted to Google. So something outside of Firefox would appear to be the cause but you'd still need to do a FF Profile backup and clean install of Firefox as per the earlier post just to be sure.

Maybe try running this to see if it finds anything:

Avast Browser Cleanup | Uninstall annoying toolbars

Also try looking for user.js in Firefox profile and delete if found.

Callender, Jan 9, 2018
  5. Callender Win User
    Callender, Jan 9, 2018
  6. Cephus404 Win User
    It did default to Google, but it replaced Bing and the second I tried loading any search engines, it defaulted to Bing.

Cephus404, Jan 9, 2018
  7. Cephus404 Win User
    I ran it, it made changes, then when I rebooted Firefox, Bing was back.

Cephus404, Jan 9, 2018
  8. Firefox Keeps Re-enabling Bing

Remove all traces of Firefox from your PC using such a program as Revo Uninstaller. You may have to go into your user app settings ie. Local, Local Low and Roaming. Remove all traces of Mozilla there. Then restart your PC. Install Firefox 57.0.4 with no extensions then go to options and remove every search engine but Google.

Josey Wales, Jan 9, 2018
  9. Callender Win User
    Good call but I reckon it must be down to malware since changing profile didn't help.

Callender, Jan 9, 2018
  10. Changing a Profile does NOT remove anything from his system.

Josey Wales, Jan 9, 2018
  11. Cephus404 Win User
    But I've done multiple scans with every scanner I can find and they all come back completely clean.

Cephus404, Jan 9, 2018
  12. Callender Win User
    I believe you - hence ZHP cleaner reported nothing. UVK isn't a dedicated virus scanner but rather a collection of tools and scripts. I'd just like to see the log and look for potentially problem software or running processes.

Question. Does this only affect Firefox and not other browsers?

Anything unusual in FF shortcut properties target field?

Firefox Keeps Re-enabling Bing [​IMG]

Any idea when the problem started (date) ?

Callender, Jan 9, 2018
  13. Cephus404 Win User

What the heck, did that too. Didn't change a thing.

Cephus404, Jan 10, 2018
  14. Callender Win User
    Hi. Really I need you to attach the text files as some text is truncated in your post.

Anyway a quick look seems to suggest that this is installed?

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/lavaso...mpanion-review

If setings have been configured it will set you homepage to bing as well as search engine if that is what is specified in the program settings.

Try uninstalling it.

Callender, Jan 10, 2018
  15. Cephus404 Win User
    I already did.

Cephus404, Jan 10, 2018
Thema:

1. Firefox Keeps Re-enabling Bing - Similar Threads - Firefox Keeps enabling

2. Re-enable a device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Re-enable a device: I disabled my laptop because I thought it would get rid if the microsoft authenticator but it didn't. I want to re-enable my laptop so I can do some homework https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/re-enable-a-device/4d66c633-d016-4e54-bdb3-73425b7eb240
  3. Re-Enable F11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Re-Enable F11: Lynn-MSFT is misinformed about the ability to either enable or disable the F11 fullscreen key. Mine is somehow disabled and I want it to work again. I DO NOT have an Fn key, so any remedy suggesting its use is ignorant, at best. Running a system file scan would not fix or...
  4. Re-Enable F11

in Windows 10 Customization
    Re-Enable F11: Lynn-MSFT is misinformed about the ability to either enable or disable the F11 fullscreen key. Mine is somehow disabled and I want it to work again. I DO NOT have an Fn key, so any remedy suggesting its use is ignorant, at best. Running a system file scan would not fix or...
  5. Re-enable touchpad

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Re-enable touchpad: This morning, I disabled my touchpad to see if Windows 10 wouId automatically enable my touchscreen. It didn't, so now I can't use my laptop. Before I get a mouse to plug in, is there a way to re-enable my touchpad without a mouse? Thanks....
  6. Windows 10 keeps re-opening Firefox and restoring tabs on boot

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 keeps re-opening Firefox and restoring tabs on boot: Hi. Since the latest W10 update which we received around a week ago, my PC shuts down fine but when the power is switched back on (often the next day), the windows fast start sequence begins (as it is set to do) and as soon as I log in Windows 10 is loading Firefox and...
  7. Firefox enabling permissions ?

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox enabling permissions ?: Having big problems trying to work out enabling permissions on Firefox for particular websites as their instructions are impossible to follow and understand. Where there was a header picture overnight on a forum it's now been removed with just a lock and a yellow exclamation...
  8. Using Bing in Firefox Address Bar Search

in Browsers and Email
    Using Bing in Firefox Address Bar Search: I am using Firefox 61.0.2 under W10. If I type a search term in the Search Bar, it searches using Bing just as I set it up. Fine. However, if I want to search by putting a term in the Address Bar it insists on using Google. I don't want that, I want Bing. Is there anyway I...
  9. Bing to google for firefox

in Browsers and Email
    Bing to google for firefox: don't know if it has been posted yet but Install this script and no more bing with cortana *Party Bing to Google 13043
  10. Firefox Homepage keeps resetting to Bing

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox Homepage keeps resetting to Bing: I've read several threads here about the homepage resetting to Bing and I've tried all the recommendations. My homepage continues to reset to Bing. I've scanned for virus' & malware w/ Malwarebytes & Defender. Also used McAfee Stinger. No problems found. Is there a setting...