Windows 10: Firefox Keeps Re-enabling Bing

Discus and support Firefox Keeps Re-enabling Bing in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Saw this a little late but immediately thought of a malware owned Scheduled Task due to the persistence of the issue ... There are some options... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Cephus404, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Barman58 Win User

Firefox Keeps Re-enabling Bing

Saw this a little late but immediately thought of a malware owned Scheduled Task due to the persistence of the issue ...

There are some options here... Slightly different method as this creates a search tab, but the concept is similar

New Bing tab at start up | Firefox Support Forum | Mozilla Support

If the issue returns, (hopefully you will never need it)

Barman58, Jan 11, 2018
  2. Cephus404 Win User

Hopefully not, so far so good at least. Normally, I can reset it to Google and the next time I open a new tab, it resets to Bing but that doesn't seem to be happening right now. It never opened up a separate tab on its own and I've run every anti-malware program under the sun and come up empty. Hopefully whatever was screwing with Firefox is gone with the old version. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Cephus404, Jan 11, 2018
  3. Callender Win User
    Just a follow up for anyone else left with the same problem after uninstalling Lavasoft Adaware WebCompanion.

I just had a look at a file here:

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\pref

The dodgy file was named dsengine.js and if inspected with a text editor you can see that the file belongs to Lavasoft Adaware WebCompanion.

Deleting the file solves the problem.

Once you know the name of the problem file it's easy to find a thread on the subject.

After uninstalling Adware (WebCompanion), I still get my default search engine set to | Firefox Support Forum | Mozilla Support

Callender, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Firefox Keeps Re-enabling Bing

1. Firefox Keeps Re-enabling Bing - Similar Threads - Firefox Keeps enabling

2. Re-enable a device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Re-enable a device: I disabled my laptop because I thought it would get rid if the microsoft authenticator but it didn't. I want to re-enable my laptop so I can do some homework https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/re-enable-a-device/4d66c633-d016-4e54-bdb3-73425b7eb240
  3. Re-Enable F11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Re-Enable F11: Lynn-MSFT is misinformed about the ability to either enable or disable the F11 fullscreen key. Mine is somehow disabled and I want it to work again. I DO NOT have an Fn key, so any remedy suggesting its use is ignorant, at best. Running a system file scan would not fix or...
  4. Re-Enable F11

in Windows 10 Customization
    Re-Enable F11: Lynn-MSFT is misinformed about the ability to either enable or disable the F11 fullscreen key. Mine is somehow disabled and I want it to work again. I DO NOT have an Fn key, so any remedy suggesting its use is ignorant, at best. Running a system file scan would not fix or...
  5. Re-enable touchpad

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Re-enable touchpad: This morning, I disabled my touchpad to see if Windows 10 wouId automatically enable my touchscreen. It didn't, so now I can't use my laptop. Before I get a mouse to plug in, is there a way to re-enable my touchpad without a mouse? Thanks....
  6. Windows 10 keeps re-opening Firefox and restoring tabs on boot

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 keeps re-opening Firefox and restoring tabs on boot: Hi. Since the latest W10 update which we received around a week ago, my PC shuts down fine but when the power is switched back on (often the next day), the windows fast start sequence begins (as it is set to do) and as soon as I log in Windows 10 is loading Firefox and...
  7. Firefox enabling permissions ?

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox enabling permissions ?: Having big problems trying to work out enabling permissions on Firefox for particular websites as their instructions are impossible to follow and understand. Where there was a header picture overnight on a forum it's now been removed with just a lock and a yellow exclamation...
  8. Using Bing in Firefox Address Bar Search

in Browsers and Email
    Using Bing in Firefox Address Bar Search: I am using Firefox 61.0.2 under W10. If I type a search term in the Search Bar, it searches using Bing just as I set it up. Fine. However, if I want to search by putting a term in the Address Bar it insists on using Google. I don't want that, I want Bing. Is there anyway I...
  9. Bing to google for firefox

in Browsers and Email
    Bing to google for firefox: don't know if it has been posted yet but Install this script and no more bing with cortana *Party Bing to Google 13043
  10. Firefox Homepage keeps resetting to Bing

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox Homepage keeps resetting to Bing: I've read several threads here about the homepage resetting to Bing and I've tried all the recommendations. My homepage continues to reset to Bing. I've scanned for virus' & malware w/ Malwarebytes & Defender. Also used McAfee Stinger. No problems found. Is there a setting...