Windows 10: Firefox may soon discard unused tabs to free resources on Windows

Discus and support Firefox may soon discard unused tabs to free resources on Windows in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Mozilla’s Firefox is getting better with every new release. The most recent update significantly improved the browser and it appears that yet another... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Mar 3, 2019.

1. WinLatest New Member

Firefox may soon discard unused tabs to free resources on Windows

Mozilla’s Firefox is getting better with every new release. The most recent update significantly improved the browser and it appears that yet another important change is being tested in Firefox Nightly branch.

Firefox 67 is expected to come with the ability to automatically unload/discard unused tabs on Windows. This feature is expected to reduce the memory usage which should significantly improve performance on low-end devices.

This feature is already being tested by Mozilla in the Nightly build of Firefox and should be made available to all users very soon.

The feature will automatically unload tabs which are not in use and the content of the opened tabs has already been loaded in the background. When the unused tabs are running, it eats a lot of memory and Mozilla’s new solution reduces memory consumption by automatically discarding the unused tabs.

“Ideally I’d say yes because this should significantly reduce the chances of Firefox crashing because of an OOM condition. However we’ll need at least a couple of weeks worth of crash ping data to confirm my hypothesis. Also this is Windows-only ATM because it’s the only platform where we can detect a low-memory condition,” the bug post assignee Gabriele Svelto explains.

You can test discarding of unused tabs in Firefox Nightly by enabling setting ‘browser.tabs.unloadOnLowMemory’.

Mozilla is expected to release the feature for all supported desktop platforms but at the moment, it can be tested only on Windows versions.

As per a bug post, Mozilla might release the Firefox 67 with the aforementioned change in May 2019.

Firefox 65.0.2

A couple of weeks ago, Mozilla released a new update for all supported desktop platforms which advanced the browser to version 65.0.2.

This update fixed an issue with the geolocation on Windows. The company only improved the experience and fixed underhood bugs.

Mozilla is also working on Firefox 66 update which will come out on March 16 with improvements and fixes. As per the latest findings, this update could introduce support for Microsoft’s Windows Hello authentication system.

The implementation of Windows Hello authentication system in Firefox will allow you to log into your favourite websites all by scanning your face. Needless to say, this feature will only work if the hardware comes with support for Windows Hello.

The post Firefox may soon discard unused tabs to free resources on Windows appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Mar 3, 2019

2. New Windows Media Player Plugin for Firefox

Anyone who uses Windows Vista and Mozilla Firefox may be pleased to hear that the Windows Media Player team has now released a plugin for Firefox that should allow the browser to play WMP content on websites. Here are the steps to get it working:
    • Installation of the Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin may require administrative access to your PC. It is recommended that you close all other open browser windows before continuing with the installation.
    • Click the Install button to automatically download and install the Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin.
    • Depending on your security settings, you may see a Security Warning dialog box. Click Install to install the plugin.
    There is a known issue if you are using Firefox version 2.0.0.3 on Windows Vista with the installer failing with error code -203. To work around this simply restart Firefox (you will get a notification that Windows Vista will be changing the Firefox compatibility settings) and then install again - the second time should succeed.

The download is available here, and the new plugin works on all versions of Windows XP and Windows Vista (although it is mostly intended for Vista, as that currently has no WMP support in Firefox).

Source: Windows Vista Blog

Jimmy 2004, Mar 3, 2019
  3. Laurijan Win User
    Firefox tabs stackable?

Hi!

I have this problem little "problem" with Firefox:

I have 9 tabs opened ready every time I start Firefox and it looks like this:

Firefox may soon discard unused tabs to free resources on Windows nimetön.jpg

Once I start surfing reading emails and opening links the number of tabs increases fast so that in no time the tabs that doesnt fit my screen are hidden.

I would love to have an Firefox extension that enables me to stack the tab in several rows so that all tabs can be displayed but could not find one that works this way.

Laurijan, Mar 3, 2019
  4. Firefox may soon discard unused tabs to free resources on Windows

Firefox 2.0 Beta 2 released for developer testing.

Mozilla released the Beta 2 of Firefox 2.0 today for developer testing, and would like to emphasize that it is for testing. The developer team says that "Current users of Firefox 1.x should not use Firefox 2 Beta 2 and expect all of their extensions and plugins to work properly." Firefox 2.0 should be released in early 2007, with a few more beta versions likely in Autumn and Winter. According to the developer team, some features of the new firefox are...
    • Enhanced visual effects.
    • Built in Phishing protection.
    • Improved tabbed browsing.
    • The ability to restore closed tabs.
    • New Windows installer to resolve some long standing issues.
    The Firefox 2.0 Beta 2 should be available on the main site soon.

Source: Desktop Linux

zekrahminator, Mar 3, 2019
Thema:

Firefox may soon discard unused tabs to free resources on Windows

1. Firefox may soon discard unused tabs to free resources on Windows - Similar Threads - Firefox may soon

2. Google Chrome for Windows upgrades memory-saving with tab discard control

in Windows 10 News
    Google Chrome for Windows upgrades memory-saving with tab discard control: Microsoft and Google are racing to add new performance-centric features to their browsers. While Microsoft Edge has sleeping tabs, added several months ago, Google Chrome recently gained support for a similar feature called “memory saver” to free memory storage on desktop...
  3. You may soon use Tabs in Notepad for Windows 11

in Windows 10 News
    You may soon use Tabs in Notepad for Windows 11: Microsoft seems to be working on bringing support for tabs to the default Windows plain text editor Notepad. A screenshot of an internal version of Notepad was posted to Twitter by a Microsoft Senior Product Manager. The tweet has been deleted in the meantime, but the Web...
  4. Firefox Portable unusable: How to Fix the “Firefox Is Already Running” Error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Firefox Portable unusable: How to Fix the “Firefox Is Already Running” Error: [ATTACH] Hi there I have a very annoying problem with Firefox Portable from portableapps.com. I have the latest available version as of today, Windows 10 Home 64 bit, 8GB RAM notebook, all Windows updates installed. Because I had many tabs + 2, 3 windows open when I...
  5. Windows 10 2004 made Firefox unuseable.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 2004 made Firefox unuseable.: Last night I installed the 2004 update for Windows 10, then shut down and went to bed. This morning I fired up my PC and started Firefox, only to find that it had slowed down to the point that it was unuseable. Most of my bookmarked sites (YouTube, Outlook, Reddit etc.,)...
  6. is windows 10 may 2020 free

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    is windows 10 may 2020 free: i have downloaded windows 10 may 2020 and it is automatically activated with a digital license without paying for it i want to know is it free or not and if not why it activated with me...
  7. Licence expire soon may 2020

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Licence expire soon may 2020: DEL Desktop Optiplex 9020 Bought with Windows 10 license Is it possible my license to expire and I have to buy another one? If you have more details about this matter please send me info, because on information on microsoft web page are not helping...
  8. Sponsored content in Firefox Nightly and Beta and soon with Firefox 60

in Windows 10 News
    Sponsored content in Firefox Nightly and Beta and soon with Firefox 60: Content on the web is powerful. It enables us to learn new things, discover different perspectives, stay in touch with what’s happening in the world, or just make us laugh. Making sure that stories like these—stories that are worth your time and attention—are discoverable and...
  9. Firefox - Open in new tab

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox - Open in new tab: Just noticed this... Using FF in this forum, Right click on a dropdown item (like Forum Actions, Quick Links) does not have an option to open in new tab, like Chrome for example. But, you can drag/drop the dropdown choice to the New Tab "+" on the open tabs bar, and it will...
  10. Sponsored content in Firefox Nightly and Beta and soon with Firefox 60

in Windows 10 News
    Sponsored content in Firefox Nightly and Beta and soon with Firefox 60: Content on the web is powerful. It enables us to learn new things, discover different perspectives, stay in touch with what’s happening in the world, or just make us laugh. Making sure that stories like these—stories that are worth your time and attention—are discoverable and...