Windows 10: Firefox Portable unusable: How to Fix the “Firefox Is Already Running” Error

Discus and support Firefox Portable unusable: How to Fix the “Firefox Is Already Running” Error in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; [ATTACH] Hi there I have a very annoying problem with Firefox Portable from portableapps.com. I have the latest available version as of today,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by xprt007, Apr 6, 2021.

1. xprt007 Win User

Firefox Portable unusable: How to Fix the “Firefox Is Already Running” Error

Firefox Portable unusable: How to Fix the “Firefox Is Already Running” Error 8ba1fb54-e1d2-4a79-b514-fb2e04061612?upload=true.jpg

Hi there

I have a very annoying problem with Firefox Portable from portableapps.com. I have the latest available version as of today, Windows 10 Home 64 bit, 8GB RAM notebook, all Windows updates installed.

Because I had many tabs + 2, 3 windows open when I started the notebook from hibernation, it was taking a bit long for it to completely "wake up", so I decided to close Firefox, which I assume was taking most memory via Taskmanager, something I have done countless times before, on this notebook.
    Usually you see "Mozilla Firefox, Portable edition..." under "Apps" & "Background processes" in the Taskmanager. I was in a hurry and started with closing the Firefox instance I saw under Background processes, before going to quickly close the instances under Apps.

I have never ever had a problem with closing Firefox or any process before via the task manager.

When I tried to start Firefox shortly after that, I got the error message another instance was running & I should first close it, although there was clearly none visible in the Task manager, that I should first close!

I also tried another instance of Firefox portable I have at another location, same problem.

I re-started the notebook and to my surprise, I now get the error message whenever I try to start Firefox portable like I have done thousands of times before, although no one has started any instance before. This is very frustrating, since it has my bookmarks & other settings but cannot use it and no other instance or Portable firefox installed elsewhere is usable!!.

How can I urgently resolve this?

Was the problem closing the instance under "Background processes" before that under "Apps" in task manager which caused some corruption of what/where??, although as I have said, I have over these many years never had any issue with closing any program whatever the order in task manager.

Thank for your quick response.

:)

xprt007, Apr 6, 2021

2. FireFox

Hi:

In addition to the great advice already offered....

...Most problems with Firefox originate in the user's profile, not in the program itself.

A specific suggestion for the issue you report:

Firefox - Profile in Use

Then, there is a logical sequence for Firefox diagnostics, which (as already suggested) generally starts with Mozilla Safe Mode (not to be confused with Windows Safe Mode):

Firefox - Standard Diagnostic

or
    Fix slowness, crashing, error messages and other problems

Resetting Firefox (as already suggested) is certainly a reasonable option, but there are other, less "destructive" steps one might consider first.
    There are also more drastic steps, such as creating a new profile. This is sometimes the best way to get back up and running, if the existing profile is highly corrupted.

Please let us know if you need more help.

Thanks,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Apr 6, 2021
  3. Firefox does not work on start up

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to uninstall and reinstall Firefox
    and check if it fixes the issue. Follow the steps below to uninstall
    Firefox:

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Click on Programs and Features.
    • Look for Firefox and right click on it and click on
      uninstall.
    • Reboot the computer after uninstall is complete and try to reinstall them.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Apr 6, 2021
  4. Firefox Portable unusable: How to Fix the “Firefox Is Already Running” Error

Video Issues in Windows 10 With Firefox

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Please provide the following information with us to understand the issue better.

• Is the issue occurs in Microsoft Edge?

• Let us know whether the issue is specific to online videos or it is happening with other videos present in your system too?

As the initial troubleshooting steps, I would suggest you to check all the available Windows Updates. Installation of recent Windows Updates should fix the issue.

If the issue still persists, then try updating the Display driver and check. Here is the steps:
    • Press Windows Key + R on your desktop screen to go to run command box.
    • Type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter.
    • In Display Adapter, expand Display Adapter, right-click , and then click
      Update.
    If the issues persists ,only with firefox then i suggest you to contact firefox support.

Please do let us know the status of the issue to assist you further.

Thank you.

Divya Murugan, Apr 6, 2021
Thema:

Firefox Portable unusable: How to Fix the “Firefox Is Already Running” Error

1. Firefox Portable unusable: How to Fix the “Firefox Is Already Running” Error - Similar Threads - Firefox Portable unusable

2. firefox

in Windows 10 Gaming
    firefox: firefox https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/firefox/0f6bcc1b-51aa-4abe-8c0b-b8e0b1da740e
  3. firefox

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    firefox: firefox https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/firefox/0f6bcc1b-51aa-4abe-8c0b-b8e0b1da740e
  4. Windows 10 2004 made Firefox unuseable.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 2004 made Firefox unuseable.: Last night I installed the 2004 update for Windows 10, then shut down and went to bed. This morning I fired up my PC and started Firefox, only to find that it had slowed down to the point that it was unuseable. Most of my bookmarked sites (YouTube, Outlook, Reddit etc.,)...
  5. Firefox is already running - intermittent pop-up - why?

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox is already running - intermittent pop-up - why?: Hi all - On many systems that I have seen running the last few revs of Firefox, I see this pop-up intermittently while starting the browser from a blank desktop: [img] Any ideas why and how to correct? TIA! *Think 151992
  6. Fix Mozilla Firefox Critical Error Permanently ?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Fix Mozilla Firefox Critical Error Permanently ?: In case you are using the Mozilla Firefox web program, you may transform into a loss of the Mozilla Firefox Critical Error stunt. firefox critical error comparable kind of stunt – regardless, with a substitute name – is most likely going to be familiar with customers of...
  7. FireFox

in Windows 10 Customization
    FireFox: The back ground picture in Firefox browser works part of the time. How do I fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/firefox/74e49c9b-7f18-4a04-bcf8-aa24a16bd43d
  8. FireFox

in Browsers and Email
    FireFox: Firefox seems to work except one place. That place is to load games in Facebook. When I try to open a game it says is loading, but it NEVER opens. How do I get games to open. I have looked a lot of pages tell how, but I have NOT found a fix that works. It was suggested...
  9. Firefox

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox: Like many i use Firefox, i did the insiders up date to 14342 now on a regular basis i am asked do i want to use firefox as my browser yes i do many many time then i am sent to the settings page I pick firefox then it does it again. I have unchecked the box ask every time, is...
  10. Here's How To Run Firefox 56 alongside Firefox 57

in Browsers and Email
    Here's How To Run Firefox 56 alongside Firefox 57: With so many long time Firefox users not happy having to see so many of their legacy addons no longer compatible with the new Firefox 57 Quantum upgrade, here's a simple solution so you can have the best of both the old and the new Firefox. • First be sure to make a backup...