Windows 10: Firefox: "Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject"WScript.Shell"

Discus and support Firefox: "Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject"WScript.Shell" in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When I open my browser Firefox I get the following message: "Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject"WScript.Shell" WScript.Sleep5557 WshShell.Run... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RafnGuðmundsson1, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Firefox: "Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject"WScript.Shell"

When I open my browser Firefox I get the following message:

"Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject"WScript.Shell"

WScript.Sleep5557 WshShell.Run """C:\Users\notandi\AzureSettingSyncProvider\IntelCpHeciSvc4k.exe"""

What does it mean?

:)

RafnGuðmundsson1, Apr 28, 2020

2. Script failure after W10 update to 1809

I've been using a little script to launch an application in a "kiosk-like" mode. Basically, upon login, the a registry entry calls the script, the script launches the exe, and then script waits for you to exit the app. When you exit, it reboots the PC.

The problem is that it stopped working after the update.

Here is the script. For reference, it's called launch.vbs and is in the c:\launchbox folder

It's run from a shell value added to HKEY_Current_User\Software\

I receive the following error message

Windows Script Host

Script c:\launchbox\launch.vbs

Line 3

Char 1

Error The system cannot find the file specified

Code 80070002

Source null

Any thoughts?

NeilChapman3, May 23, 2020
  3. Scheduled task issue.

Win 7 Pro 64

Office 2010

Background

I've had an Excel working as a scheduled task for a long time. Code in it called WScript to display a PopUp message that asked the user whether or not to close the workbook. If no user response received after a set duration (i.e. nobody opened the file manually),
    WScript closed the message and continued on the path that shut down the workbook. Over the past few months it WScript started failing to close the message. At first spasmodically, now every time.

Reduced to test code, the same symptoms occur on the same machine. However, on a Windows 10 machine, the code works OK.

When it does fail, opening the workbook results in a message the file is in use. However, bringing up Task Manager reveals no Excel tasks are running. However, in the file location is a locked hidden icon.

I tried re-registering WScript to no avail and am now thinking 'what else'.

Questions

1) When the task is scheduled, logon and password are requested so, presumably the task is run under the user name. Why then does the relevent Excel Task not show in Task Manager?

2) Following on from that, is there a way to determine whether a file was opened by a Scheduled Task (e.g. will VBA get a different result from Application.UserName)?

3) With all the personalisations, add-ons, etc, I am reluctant to re-install office 'to test'. How can I isolate whether the issue is my Office installation, WScript or something else?

4) Any other suggestions?

Stephen_999, May 23, 2020
  4. Syldub Win User

Firefox: "Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject"WScript.Shell"

Custom Context Menu for folder conflict with windows default behaviour

Here is an extract of the generated .reg file I use:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

Single menu 0: Syl ProperCase

-----------------------------------------------------

Windows object 0: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects (Files)

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shell\SylRenamer - Files - Single - ProperCase]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shell\SylRenamer - Files - Single - ProperCase]

@="Syl ProperCase"

"Icon"="C:\\_Custom\\_Scripts\\SylRenamer (copie)\\Icons\\Smile modified.ico"

"Position"="Middle"

"AppliesTo"="kind:<>folder"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shell\SylRenamer - Files - Single - ProperCase\command]

@="wscript \"C:\\_Custom\\_Scripts\\SylRenamer (copie)\\SylRenamer.vbs\" /Path:\"%1\" /RenameModeFirefox: "Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject"WScript.Shell" :properCase"

Single menu 1: Syl ProperCase

Windows object 0: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects (Folders)

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shell\SylRenamer - Folders - Single - ProperCase]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shell\SylRenamer - Folders - Single - ProperCase]

@="Syl ProperCase"

"Position"="Middle"

"AppliesTo"="kind:folder"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shell\SylRenamer - Folders - Single - ProperCase\command]

@="wscript \"C:\\_Custom\\_Scripts\\SylRenamer (copie)\\SylRenamer.vbs\" /Path:\"%1\" /RenameModeFirefox: "Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject"WScript.Shell" :properCase"

Cascading menu 0: Syl Renamer

Windows object 0: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects (Folders)

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shell\SylRenamer - Folders]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shell\SylRenamer - Folders]

"MUIVerb"="Syl Renamer"

"AppliesTo"="kind:folder"

"SubCommands"="SylRenamer - Folders - ProperCase;SylRenamer - Folders - ProperCase (Recursive);SylRenamer - Folders - RenameDirTo-_Archives;SylRenamer - Folders - SentenceCase;SylRenamer - Folders - AppendDate"

"Position"="Middle"

Sub-menu 1: SylRenamer - Folders - ProperCase

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\SylRenamer - Folders - ProperCase]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\SylRenamer - Folders - ProperCase]

@="ProperCase"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\SylRenamer - Folders - ProperCase\command]

Sub-menu 2: SylRenamer - Folders - ProperCase (Recursive)

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\SylRenamer - Folders - ProperCase (Recursive)]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\SylRenamer - Folders - ProperCase (Recursive)]

@="ProperCase (Recursive)"

"Icon"="C:\\_Custom\\_Scripts\\SylRenamer (copie)\\Icons\\folder.ico"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\SylRenamer - Folders - ProperCase (Recursive)\command]

@="wscript \"C:\\_Custom\\_Scripts\\SylRenamer (copie)\\SylRenamer.vbs\" /Path:\"%1\" /RenameModeFirefox: "Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject"WScript.Shell" :properCase /Recursive"

Sub-menu 5: SylRenamer - Folders - RenameDirTo-_Archives

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\SylRenamer - Folders - RenameDirTo-_Archives]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\SylRenamer - Folders - RenameDirTo-_Archives]

@="Rename to: _Archives"

"Icon"="C:\\Windows\\system32\\imageres.dll,4"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\SylRenamer - Folders - RenameDirTo-_Archives\command]

@="wscript \"C:\\_Custom\\_Scripts\\SylRenamer (copie)\\SylRenamer.vbs\" /Path:\"%1\" /RenameMode:ReplaceWithSpecifiedString /RenameString:\"_Archives\""

Sub-menu 9: SylRenamer - Folders - SentenceCase

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\SylRenamer - Folders - SentenceCase]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\SylRenamer - Folders - SentenceCase]

@="Sentence case"

"Icon"="%SystemRoot%\\system32\\SHELL32.dll,70"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\SylRenamer - Folders - SentenceCase\command]

@="wscript \"C:\\_Custom\\_Scripts\\SylRenamer (copie)\\SylRenamer.vbs\" /Path:\"%1\" /RenameMode:SentenceCase"

Sub-menu 12: SylRenamer - Folders - AppendDate

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\SylRenamer - Folders - AppendDate]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\SylRenamer - Folders - AppendDate]

@="Append date"

"Icon"="C:\\_Custom\\_Scripts\\SylRenamer (copie)\\Icons\\Date16.ico"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\SylRenamer - Folders - AppendDate\command]

@="wscript \"C:\\_Custom\\_Scripts\\SylRenamer (copie)\\SylRenamer.vbs\" /Path:\"%1\" /RenameMode:AppendDate"

Cascading menu 0: Syl Renamer

Windows object 0: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects (Files)

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shell\SylRenamer - Files]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shell\SylRenamer - Files]

"MUIVerb"="Syl Renamer"

"AppliesTo"="kind:<>folder"

"SubCommands"="SylRenamer - Files - ProperCase;SylRenamer - Files - SentenceCase;SylRenamer - Files - AppendDate"

"Position"="Middle"

Sub-menu 1: SylRenamer - Files - ProperCase

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\SylRenamer - Files - ProperCase]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\SylRenamer - Files - ProperCase]

@="ProperCase"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\SylRenamer - Files - ProperCase\command]

Sub-menu 7: SylRenamer - Files - SentenceCase

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\SylRenamer - Files - SentenceCase]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\SylRenamer - Files - SentenceCase]

@="Sentence case"

"Icon"="%SystemRoot%\\system32\\SHELL32.dll,70"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\SylRenamer - Files - SentenceCase\command]

@="wscript \"C:\\_Custom\\_Scripts\\SylRenamer (copie)\\SylRenamer.vbs\" /Path:\"%1\" /RenameMode:SentenceCase"

Sub-menu 10: SylRenamer - Files - AppendDate

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\SylRenamer - Files - AppendDate]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\SylRenamer - Files - AppendDate]

@="Append date"

"Icon"="C:\\_Custom\\_Scripts\\SylRenamer (copie)\\Icons\\Date16.ico"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\SylRenamer - Files - AppendDate\command]

@="wscript \"C:\\_Custom\\_Scripts\\SylRenamer (copie)\\SylRenamer.vbs\" /Path:\"%1\" /RenameMode:AppendDate"

Syldub, May 23, 2020
Thema:

Firefox: "Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject"WScript.Shell"

1. Firefox: "Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject"WScript.Shell" - Similar Threads - Firefox Set WshShell

2. wscript host message

in Windows 10 Gaming
    wscript host message: Hello,after restoring my pc a windows script host message pops up all the time. Also my windows live mail is not loading and a few other things not working right. I wanted to undo restore, but it wasn't successful.How can I fix this?Thanks!...
  3. wscript host message

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    wscript host message: Hello,after restoring my pc a windows script host message pops up all the time. Also my windows live mail is not loading and a few other things not working right. I wanted to undo restore, but it wasn't successful.How can I fix this?Thanks!...
  4. wscript host message

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. how can i remove wscript

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how can i remove wscript: i installed wscript somehow and i want it gone its in my startup folder and it got installed during a malware infection, its not malware though but i want it gone https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-remove-wscript/65508201-cef0-4b82-a8e8-7ca4fcb87ed8
  6. how can i remove wscript

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how can i remove wscript: i installed wscript somehow and i want it gone its in my startup folder and it got installed during a malware infection, its not malware though but i want it gone https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-remove-wscript/65508201-cef0-4b82-a8e8-7ca4fcb87ed8
  7. Disabling WScript

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disabling WScript: Hi, What are the consequences of disabling Wscript ? Can this process contribute to higher CPU/Memory utilization https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disabling-wscript/adeb8e56-fb11-40ab-969c-9d7c6845c602
  8. Firefox - Settings and Display

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox - Settings and Display: Now that FF is auto load via FVD I got all my links sorted and operational. Then I lost all my passwords to every site that required them; they just vanished. Had to reinput, making sure they were 'remembered' again. Now a new occurrence. Remember when IE11 came out and the...
  9. What's this in my Firefox settings?

in Browsers and Email
    What's this in my Firefox settings?: Noticed a small warning box in the top of my FireFox settings: [img] So my question is, what is the meaning of this? And it's all over my settings pages of FF! *Mad (I translated it for you) 120580
  10. Change Performance Settings for Firefox

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Performance Settings for Firefox: How to: Change Performance Settings for Firefox [img] Information Starting with Firefox Quantum (version 57), there is a new user interface (UI) called Photon. Firefox automatically uses recommended performance settings that work best with your computer. If you...