Windows 10: FireFox

Discus and support FireFox in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Since midnight can't use Mozzila's Firefox anymore. " Firefox is already running, must be closed" and after that iI get message "The Firefox profile... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by rudolfo2, Aug 16, 2016.

1. rudolfo2 Win User

FireFox

Since midnight can't use Mozzila's Firefox anymore. " Firefox is already running, must be closed" and after that iI get message "The Firefox profile can not be loaded ". I saw also the message than another app is blocking Firefox . Probably Edge.
    Have re-installed, no help.
    Not being able to start ZenMate VPN got me thinking, Firefox has VPN as add-on too. But reinstalled version shouldn't, so VPN should not be the problem or......

:)

rudolfo2, Aug 16, 2016

2. Firefox replaced by Firefox Quantum

> This is a virus, called 'Quantum'

firefox quantum - Recherche Google

> I can't seem to uninstall this 'Quantum' Firefox, and when I try to install the real Firefox, my computer doesn't seem to recognise the exe file extensions

Firefox Support

Firefox Help

Don

Don Varnau, Aug 16, 2016
  3. BadGirl69 Win User
    Firefox replaced by Firefox Quantum

The other day, I turned on my computer, and Firefox was changed and so was the icon. This is a virus, called 'Quantum'.

My computer is messed up. I can't seem to uninstall this 'Quantum' Firefox, and when I try to install the real Firefox, my computer doesn't seem to recognise the exe file extensions. Also, if I connect anything to my computer to backup my data, it locks my
    file to read only on whatever device I connect. It had a padlock icon next to it.

* Moved from Virus & Malware

* Original title: How To I Get My Fox Back?

BadGirl69, Aug 16, 2016
  4. altae Win User
  5. Hi:

In addition to the great advice already offered....

...Most problems with Firefox originate in the user's profile, not in the program itself.

A specific suggestion for the issue you report:

Firefox - Profile in Use

Then, there is a logical sequence for Firefox diagnostics, which (as already suggested) generally starts with Mozilla Safe Mode (not to be confused with Windows Safe Mode):

Firefox - Standard Diagnostic

or
    Fix slowness, crashing, error messages and other problems

Resetting Firefox (as already suggested) is certainly a reasonable option, but there are other, less "destructive" steps one might consider first.
    There are also more drastic steps, such as creating a new profile. This is sometimes the best way to get back up and running, if the existing profile is highly corrupted.

Please let us know if you need more help.

Thanks,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Aug 16, 2016
  6. rudolfo2 Win User
    To do suggested options I need to run Firefox which I can't.

rudolfo2, Aug 16, 2016
  7. That's why I suggested this for starters, for the issue you report:*Smile

Firefox - Profile in Use

Scroll down on that page to the "Solutions" section.
    The easiest way is to open the Windows Task Manager and to kill the Firefox process from there.
    If that does not work, then proceed to the next steps in that tutorial: remove the "profile lock" file, etc.

Please let us know how that goes.

Thanks,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Aug 16, 2016
  8. rudolfo2 Win User

FireFox

Task Manager don't show Firefox running.

rudolfo2, Aug 17, 2016
  9. topgundcp Win User
    If you wish, you can try this.
    • Navigate to: %APPDATA% (type the string in file explorer and press ENTER)
    • Click on Mozilla folder and drag it to desktop
    • Run Firefox again, it should run as a new Firefox installation ie. prompting you to import bookmarks from other browser etc... then Exit Firefox.
    • Open Mozilla folder on desktop, look for the file under Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxxxx.default called "places.sqlite" and copy it back to the same place under %APPDATA%\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxxxx.default
      NOTE: places.sqlite contains your bookmarks

topgundcp, Aug 17, 2016
  10. BunnyJ New Member
    Just a quick thought.. I found that restarting the PC is a fast way to get this issue to resolve.

My 2c on it.. Good luck...

Jeff

BunnyJ, Aug 17, 2016
  11. My bad!
    I guess I assumed that the OP had already done that.*Redface
    One should never assume anything!*chuckle
    ------------------
    Most problems originate in the user's profile, not in the program itself. But...

If restarting the computer does not fix the issue, and if it is not running in the background in Task Manager to kill, AND if you cannot run Firefox (to conduct routine troubleshooting)...

...then you might need to do something more drastic (e.g. rip out Firefox AND your user profile data).

I would definitely start by backing up at least your bookmarks, using the procedure described by @topguncdp.

Then, I might try the steps here:

Profile cannot be loaded

If that does not work, then you *might* need to reinstall Firefox completely (including starting a new profile).
    This is pretty unusual and a bit of a last resort, but sometimes it's best, if one cannot do other steps, such as creating a new profile, etc.

Be sure you backup important data, such as bookmarks, before you do this.
    (I do not recommend importing anything other than bookmarks from your "old" profile into your new one, as it may just carry over the corruption. If the profile is really messed up, it's best to start fresh.)

Uninstall Firefox

Let us know how it goes,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Aug 17, 2016
  12. BunnyJ New Member
    I found when that did occur,, which was very rare, that it was the best fast solution.

Nothing like trying a restart to clear up some issues..

BunnyJ, Aug 17, 2016
  13. rudolfo2 Win User

FireFox

I've used Recovery option, clean my PC of Firefox, restart, re-installed Firefox and got the same message " Firefox is already running, must be closed ".

rudolfo2, Aug 17, 2016
  14. rudolfo2 Win User
    Done Recovery option ( from 10 days ago when the world was in order ) Restart/ Cleaned with CCleaner / Restart and re-install Firefox. Same problem.

rudolfo2, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

FireFox

1. FireFox - Similar Threads - FireFox

2. error downloading windows 10 iso from firefox browser on kali linux

in Windows 10 Gaming
    error downloading windows 10 iso from firefox browser on kali linux: error downloading windows 10 iso from firefox browser on kali linux it says"" We are unable to complete your request at this time. Some users, entities and locations are banned from using this service. For this reason, leveraging anonymous or location hiding technologies when...
  3. error downloading windows 10 iso from firefox browser on kali linux

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    error downloading windows 10 iso from firefox browser on kali linux: error downloading windows 10 iso from firefox browser on kali linux it says"" We are unable to complete your request at this time. Some users, entities and locations are banned from using this service. For this reason, leveraging anonymous or location hiding technologies when...
  4. Windows 11 Pro PC crashes every time I use Firefox...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Pro PC crashes every time I use Firefox...: My Windows 11 Pro PC crashes every time I use Firefox, Chrome or Edge. Windows is totally up to date as are all my drivers. 64 GB RAM, i7 processor. I've totally reset all browsers. I've run Windows troubleshooters, restarted after every change, but I can't get any of the...
  5. Windows 11 Pro PC crashes every time I use Firefox...

Windows 11 Pro PC crashes every time I use Firefox...: My Windows 11 Pro PC crashes every time I use Firefox, Chrome or Edge. Windows is totally up to date as are all my drivers. 64 GB RAM, i7 processor. I've totally reset all browsers. I've run Windows troubleshooters, restarted after every change, but I can't get any of the...
  6. Can't login to my yahoo mail account from my pc using edge, chrome, firefox or windows10...

Can't login to my yahoo mail account from my pc using edge, chrome, firefox or windows10...: Past few months I can't login to my yahoo mail account from my pc using edge, chrome, firefox or windows10 Yahoo app? It timesout and does let me enter my password. Or it tells me I've failed to access my account too many times and I need to wait an hour even thoughIhavenot...
  7. Can't login to my yahoo mail account from my pc using edge, chrome, firefox or windows10...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't login to my yahoo mail account from my pc using edge, chrome, firefox or windows10...: Past few months I can't login to my yahoo mail account from my pc using edge, chrome, firefox or windows10 Yahoo app? It timesout and does let me enter my password. Or it tells me I've failed to access my account too many times and I need to wait an hour even thoughIhavenot...
  8. firefox

in Windows 10 Gaming
    firefox: firefox https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/firefox/0f6bcc1b-51aa-4abe-8c0b-b8e0b1da740e
  9. firefox

firefox: firefox https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/firefox/0f6bcc1b-51aa-4abe-8c0b-b8e0b1da740e
  10. firefox download history shows o byte file while i am downloading a higher size file

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    firefox download history shows o byte file while i am downloading a higher size file: I was trying to download an executable file from filen.io and when I click download the process happens on the page like as in MEGA download and my IDM didn't overtake it the problem happens halfway through the download Firefox shows a download complete message with zero byte...