Windows 10: Firewall or Antivirus software may have blocked the connection even with firewall off?

Discus and support Firewall or Antivirus software may have blocked the connection even with firewall off? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I'm trying to access a public WiFi location, and get the notification that firewall or Antivirus software may be blocking the connection. I've... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RyanBurgess2, Mar 13, 2020.

1. Firewall or Antivirus software may have blocked the connection even with firewall off?

Hi,

I'm trying to access a public WiFi location, and get the notification that firewall or Antivirus software may be blocking the connection. I've tried turning the firewall off and still get this result. Help?

:)

RyanBurgess2, Mar 13, 2020

2. Good Antivirus + Firewall

I would never put anything Norton on my computer.

Nod32 is arguably the best antivirus. AVG is likely not as good, but it's free and at least pretty good.

Firewalls, I'd put Comodo and whatever "Tiny Personal Firewall" is named nowadays on your short list. I think Kerio might have sold it now and it's named something else. Otherwise, just put Comodo on your short list. I think the current version's ease of use has taken a step backwards, seems a bit counter-intuitive when trying to do certain things with it, but overall it does a good job and the price is right.

Deusxmachina, Mar 13, 2020
  3. Best free AV and firewall

Can Windows Firewall block outgoing connections yet? If not, it's one step above useless.

Look into Online Armor for a free firewall.

Deusxmachina, Mar 13, 2020
  4. Firewall or Antivirus software may have blocked the connection even with firewall off?

I need a firewall that allows me to easily block / unblock programs.

Another problem with router firewalls is they often simply see all local traffic as good. So, for example, they would do nothing to protect a connected computer from infection from an inserted infected USB stick. And they may do nothing to protect other connected computers on the same network from malware distributed by the USB stick infected computer.

So I agree - use a decent hardware based router firewall to protect us from external threats, but each locally connected computer should use a decent software based firewall too. Fortunately, it does not take any special techniques or proprietary code to block a port. And the vast majority of users never need to create firewall rules so the firewall built into Windows is more than adequate for most users. If more flexibility is desired, then there are plenty alternatives and Windows Firewall will gladly step out of the way. Users just should not assume the alternatives are blocking ports better. It does not work that way. A blocked port is a blocked port.

Bill_Bright, Mar 13, 2020
Thema:

Firewall or Antivirus software may have blocked the connection even with firewall off?

1. Firewall or Antivirus software may have blocked the connection even with firewall off? - Similar Threads - Firewall Antivirus software

2. Windows firewall block connections to localnet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows firewall block connections to localnet: Hi everyone!I have following task:1. Block connections to hosts in local network2. Allow connections to certain hosts in local network domain controllers, wsus, dns and some exact hosts and ports3. Allow connections to O365All tasks above I need to be implemented with help of...
  3. Firewall or Antivirus is blocking VPN on Windows 11

in Windows 10 News
    Firewall or Antivirus is blocking VPN on Windows 11: [ATTACH]A lot of use VPN for our regular internet browsing activities. It safeguards us from the tracking of aggressive marketing firms. Many of the users of Windows 11/10 are reporting that firewall or antivirus is blocking VPN. Let’s see how we can fix it. There are many...
  4. Unable to turn off Windows firewall and antivirus

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unable to turn off Windows firewall and antivirus: Hi,Our computers are joined to AzureAD and managed by Intune. I have a problem turning off Windows firewall and virus protection setting, it show "The setting is managed by your administrator". I have checked my Intune configuration setting and had excluded all related policy...
  5. antivirus/firewall protection

antivirus/firewall protection: will another virus protection like Norton interfere with the windows firewall etc how are they compatible and is it necessary to have both? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/antivirusfirewall-protection/154c365d-95f3-454f-85a8-7ea043e0a190
  6. Windows 10 blocks all incoming external connections even firewall set to off

Windows 10 blocks all incoming external connections even firewall set to off: I have a web server running Win10Pro, a comcast router setting port forwarding from external connections to my server port 80. Internal IP access is working properly but external access is fail. I have uninstalled the Mcafee PC Security and turn the Windows Defender's...
  7. Stack Firewalls/antiviruses

Stack Firewalls/antiviruses: Is there any options and variants to stack some firewalls with windows defender! I know there is I did it before, but I don't remember the name of the firewall/antivirus! I mean not to use both antivirus and firewalls at the same time with windows security -...
  8. Firewall and antivirus

Firewall and antivirus: How can I have both my antivirus' firewall - (Kaspersky) and Window defender's firewall at the same time? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/firewall-and-antivirus/d17b9b0e-76fb-434f-8a57-2d186544c643"
  9. Internet may be blocked by a firewall or antivirus

Internet may be blocked by a firewall or antivirus: Hi, recently I have encountered an issue that arose without any changes being made to the settings. When trying to connect the laptop to a wireless network that requires you to enter a username/ password (like a hotel or a business network) it redirects to an error page that...
  10. Firewall blocking Ethernet connection?

Firewall blocking Ethernet connection?: So I just unpackaged my computer after moving back to the states (been in storage since Oct 1st). Connect everything and it doesn't recognize the Ethernet connection to the Internet. Call my isp to troubleshoot. They have me turn off my firewall in Windows. Right away my...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. firewall or antivirus software may have blocked the connection.